Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Q11 and Q15 look right if I see the webpage properly

this shape ?

I am a Forum User
    Frankly I do not subscribe to the theory of polishing feed ramps, but that by itself is another discussion.. The SIG P6 barrel ramp is designed for ball ammo. When I had my P6 about 5 years ago I couldn't shoot hollow points with it. I had to send it to Customized creationz for a re machined ramp. Todd was an expert in the required dimensions for the new ramp and he did machine the ramp to te new dimensions and the polish it to smoothen the cut surface. I could shoot anything with that gun.

The point is if your P6 barrel is stock from the 1978 era, it has the ball ammo ramp design. The issue might have arise with the new ammo that you are shooting that it might have a profile that is not as friendly with the feed ramp geometry that is already known to be finicky and only made for ball ammo. Polishing will not solve the problem, and re ramping the barrel takes alot of technical skill. Give Todd a call and see if he still does re ramping work on P6 barrels.. Pay the fee and avoid the risk of damaging your barrel.

I am a Forum User
    The rounded bullet point shape

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JimSig View Post
    Frankly I do not subscribe to the theory of polishing feed ramps, but that by itself is another discussion.
    All ramps should be smooth. Many mass produced guns including higher end ones have machining marks perpendicular to the feed axis.
    These can cause visible copper build-up over time on the ramp, a sure sign of excess friction and an impediment to smooth reliable feeding.

All we are doing here is removing high spots [ridges] to give a smooth ramp surface. Should be done at factory but secondary finishing operations cost a lot and are frequently eliminated.

Altering ramp profile is another issue entirely but that is gonna take you a long long time using a felt bob with rouge or a fine cratex point. Unless you are using an abrasive grinding point you will burn out your Dremel before you remove enough metal to change the shape that much.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoser View Post
    All ramps should be smooth. Many mass produced guns including higher end ones have machining marks perpendicular to the feed axis.
    These can cause visible copper build-up over time on the ramp, a sure sign of excess friction and an impediment to smooth reliable feeding.

All we are doing here is removing high spots [ridges] to give a smooth ramp surface. Should be done at factory but secondary finishing operations cost a lot and are frequently eliminated.

Altering ramp profile is another issue entirely but that is gonna take you a long long time using a felt bob with rouge or a fine cratex point. Unless you are using an abrasive grinding point you will burn out your Dremel before you remove enough metal to change the shape that much.
    point well taken. Thanks.

Frankly I do not subscribe to the theory of polishing feed ramps, but that by itself is another discussion.. The SIG P6 barrel ramp is designed for ball ammo. When I had my P6 about 5 years ago I couldn't shoot hollow points with it. I had to send it to Customized creationz for a re machined ramp. Todd was an expert in the required dimensions for the new ramp and he did machine the ramp to te new dimensions and the polish it to smoothen the cut surface. I could shoot anything with that gun.

The point is if your P6 barrel is stock from the 1978 era, it has the ball ammo ramp design. The issue might have arise with the new ammo that you are shooting that it might have a profile that is not as friendly with the feed ramp geometry that is already known to be finicky and only made for ball ammo. Polishing will not solve the problem, and re ramping the barrel takes alot of technical skill. Give Todd a call and see if he still does re ramping work on P6 barrels.. Pay the fee and avoid the risk of damaging your barrel.
    I had considered that in the past, but heard wildly different results from people. From great turn arounds, to him having your stuff for a year. Never had the nerve to do it.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    I had considered that in the past, but heard wildly different results from people. From great turn arounds, to him having your stuff for a year. Never had the nerve to do it.
    did you try calling Sig Sauer.. They might offer something like that service.. Give it a try: 603-610-3000

did you try calling Sig Sauer.. They might offer something like that service.. Give it a try: 603-610-3000
    I had not thought of that. Is this something you heard them doing before ?

The crappy part is the barrels have sorta dried up for the p225/p6.

I guess I could just shoot power r ball hollow points. I think since I polished it even half ass i think practice ammo will be fine.

I really would like a barrel though that is not as much as I paid for the entire gun surplus. This is way more complicated than I thought when I bought this p6

Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    It's worked for years and just now fumbled with a new practice round so you want to change the gun?

I'd toss the offending ammo and go back to the tried and true brands/type you have shot all these years. Forget fluffing and buffing. Your ramp is likely as smooth as it needs to be, just not the right/optimum geometry for the bullet you had problems with. Or maybe the recoil pulse is lacking? Who knows?
    This^^^^
    -OR-
    Has your barrel been re-profiled for hollow point ammo? If I was carrying a P6, this would certainly be the first thing I would do.
    Active airport shooter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast