Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    This myth probably comes from the same people who believe that magazines need to be unloaded on occasion to prevent the mag springs from wearing out.
    You misspelled Frog Lube Fanboy

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    This myth probably comes from the same people who believe that magazines need to be unloaded on occasion to prevent the mag springs from wearing out.
    Uh Oh!!! My 3 mags for my EDC, Gen3 G22, have been loaded with the same ammo since the winter of 2011/2012. I guess the springs are pretty much "shot" by now.

I am a Forum User
    I gotta wonder about modern primers.
    I pick up assorted leftovers at the range; I don't shoot
    them, I pull them apart for the brass.
    After wet tumbling a batch of 9mm, I found about a dozen
    that had un-hit primers, prolly from pull-downs.

They all fired.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by red442joe View Post
    I gotta wonder about modern primers.
    I pick up assorted leftovers at the range; I don't shoot
    them, I pull them apart for the brass.
    After wet tumbling a batch of 9mm, I found about a dozen
    that had un-hit primers, prolly from pull-downs.

They all fired.

Joe
    I am of the idea primers today are pretty well sealed.
    A couple years ago, I think I posted here I know I did on a couple forums, that I had tried years ago to kill a few primed 44 mag cases. I sprayed WD40 inside the cases and let them set for about a week with a 1/4 inch of oil setting in the case bottom and then tried one in my revolver before starting to deprime on my press.
    It went off!
    I tried another it too went off.
    This pretty well killed any ideas I had about finger oils, wet weather or gun oil migration killing primers in most normal conditions.
    The primers had enough "Omph" to back out partially and put enough drag on my cylinder to require force swinging it out to unload the spent cases.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Why do I suspect that many of the experts recommending replacement of self defense ammunition have financially lucrative arrangements with ammunition manufacturers?

On a more serious note, propellant stability is the major cause of ammunition deterioration over time. The classic single base IMR propellants suffer the most rapid deterioration, but generally have a lifespan exceeding 50 years. This deterioration is most rapid in bulk storage. Propellants in cartridges have much longer lifespans because stabilizers like DPA cannot evaporate.

As long as you don't take your self defense ammunition for a swim and it is in good mechanical condition, you probably don't have to replace it.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    Why do I suspect that many of the experts recommending replacement of self defense ammunition have financially lucrative arrangements with ammunition manufacturers?
    Just got mt oil changed in one of the trucks. Sticker says it's due for the next change in 2500 miles.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    Just got mt oil changed in one of the trucks. Sticker says it's due for the next change in 2500 miles.
    Well you know, under certain circumstances, like using your left blinker too much, that puts your engine under severe service requirements. Better get it done....

Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post

On a more serious note, propellant stability is the major cause of ammunition deterioration over time. The classic single base IMR propellants suffer the most rapid deterioration, but generally have a lifespan exceeding 50 years. This deterioration is most rapid in bulk storage. Propellants in cartridges have much longer lifespans because stabilizers like DPA cannot evaporate.

As long as you don't take your self defense ammunition for a swim and it is in good mechanical condition, you probably don't have to replace it.
    Well it is better, it has to be better. Its just barely the tinest bit better and costs a bunch of money. Its a bad value, and unless you are paranoid and cash rich and OCD I would not do it.

I never hear them weight the options. Just a finite its better you should do it.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by solarguy View Post
    Well you know, under certain circumstances, like using your left blinker too much, that puts your engine under severe service requirements. Better get it done....
    You do know they came out with a synthetic blinker fluid last year, so that should not be a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by matt11 View Post
    You do know they came out with a synthetic blinker fluid last year, so that should not be a concern.

You still have to change the filter at regular manufactures suggested intervals though.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast