Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Account Closed Forum User

Trump takes aim at 3D-printed guns. *Update Judge blocks release of plans for 3D-printed guns amid Dem outrage*

Update 8-1-18 Funny how they show 80% AR15 lowers being machined.

A federal judge in Seattle issued a temporary restraining order late Tuesday to stop the release of downloadable blueprints and instructions on how to build an untraceable and undetectable plastic firearm using a 3D-printer.

The nationwide order, sought by attorneys general for eight states and the District of Columbia, blocks gun-rights activist Cody Wilson and his Texas-based company, Defense Distributors, from publishing plans for a plastic gun online, which they could have done beginning Wednesday.

It comes after Senate Democrats warned the Trump administration that the firearms could end up in the wrong hands. A 3D-printed gun doesn't require a background check, a serial number, or a gun registration.

“As of tomorrow, anyone, including criminals and terrorists can have access to blueprints for making deadly weapons with a click of a mouse,” Sen. Ed Markey, D-Mass., said Tuesday during a press conference hours before the judge's order. “Anyone will be able to download a computer file and use a very simple process to make it possible for them to be able to make a gun.”

“It's the ultimate gun loophole. Why buy them if you can print them at home instead?” Markey said.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/judg...ry?id=56937099

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.df19f4ce1000

President Trump on Tuesday voiced concern about 3D-printed guns being available to the public, saying he has talked to the National Rifle Association and it “doesn’t seem to make much sense.”

"I am looking into 3-D Plastic Guns being sold to the public. Already spoke to NRA, doesn’t seem to make much sense!" he tweeted.

“Your administration approved this. What kind of incompetence and dangerous governing is this?” responded Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y. “And to check with the NRA? Holy moly.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...uch-sense.html
    Last edited by Outdoorman; 08-01-2018 at 02:51 PM.

I am a Forum User
    I agree, all this fuss doesn't make much sense.
    The guns have metal parts & the ammo is metal so they aren't "undetectable" as reported.
    You could BUY a several NEW all metal guns for what it would cost you to print one.

Realistically, with an all plastic firearm you could probably get off a single shot before it fell apart due to the heat, and I doubt you'd get much accuracy out of that single shot. "Undetectable" seems to be the hot word thrown around but I think what they're really thinking is "untraceable" i.e. someone holed up in a basement somewhere printing off parts and selling them to individuals who could otherwise not purchase a firearm.

That being said, a printer cable of printing fairly large 3D pieces in plastic in already a couple thousand dollars. I imagine something big enough to "print" (I use print loosely because it'd probably be more of a milling than printing I would guess) metal pieces with that kind of precision would cost several thousand more and a certain degree of technical expertise to maintain and process prints.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by castrotikon View Post
    ...and a certain degree of technical expertise to maintain and process prints.
    that's why everybody needs free college - less people going into the skilled trades
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by castrotikon View Post
    Realistically, with an all plastic firearm you could probably get off a single shot before it fell apart due to the heat
    How are you even going to make an all-plastic firearm? You need a metal firing pin / striker and metal springs, as well as a metal cartridge or at least projectile.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator SteveS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    I agree, all this fuss doesn't make much sense.
    The guns have metal parts & the ammo is metal so they aren't "undetectable" as reported.
    You could BUY a several NEW all metal guns for what it would cost you to print one.
    Yep. Trump's comments are vague. He could have meant that the fuss doesn't make sense or he could have meant that 3-D printed guns don't make sense.
    Opinions and comments made by me on this forum should not be considered legal advice.

Account Closed Forum User

A federal judge in Seattle issued a temporary restraining order late Tuesday to stop the release of downloadable blueprints and instructions on how to build an untraceable and undetectable plastic firearm using a 3D-printer.

The nationwide order, sought by attorneys general for eight states and the District of Columbia, blocks gun-rights activist Cody Wilson and his Texas-based company, Defense Distributors, from publishing plans for a plastic gun online, which they could have done beginning Wednesday.

It comes after Senate Democrats warned the Trump administration that the firearms could end up in the wrong hands. A 3D-printed gun doesn't require a background check, a serial number, or a gun registration.

“As of tomorrow, anyone, including criminals and terrorists can have access to blueprints for making deadly weapons with a click of a mouse,” Sen. Ed Markey, D-Mass., said Tuesday during a press conference hours before the judge's order. “Anyone will be able to download a computer file and use a very simple process to make it possible for them to be able to make a gun.”

“It's the ultimate gun loophole. Why buy them if you can print them at home instead?” Markey said.

MGO Member Forum User
    I guess they never heard of a slam fire shotgun either. Two pieces of pipe, a pipe cap and a thumb tack and you're in "business". Also not traceable and also doesn't look like a gun. You gonna outlaw pipe and thumb tacks?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorman View Post

Snip.................................

So he can put his files out for download because they don't meet the parameters.

I am a Forum User
    CodeIsFreeSpeech.com

Firearm-Related Speech, Machining Instructions, Codes Published by Civil Rights Organizations, Activists at New CodeIsFreeSpeech.com Website

SACRAMENTO, CA (July 31, 2018) — Tonight, the organizations and individuals behind CodeIsFreeSpeech.com, a new Web site for the publication and sharing of firearm-related speech, including machine code, have issued the following statement:

Our Constitution’s First Amendment secures the right of all people to engage in truthful speech, including by sharing information contained in books, paintings, and files. Indeed, freedom of speech is a bedrock principle of our United States and a cornerstone of our democratic Republic. Through CodeIsFreeSpeech.com, we intend to encourage people to consider new and different aspects of our nation’s marketplace of ideas – even if some government officials disagree with our views or dislike our content – because information is code, code is free speech, and free speech is freedom.

Should any tyrants wish to chill or infringe the rights of the People, we would welcome the opportunity to defend freedom whenever, wherever, and however necessary. Hand-waving and hyperbole are not compelling government interests and censorship is not proper tailoring under the law.

There is no doubt that Cody Wilson and Defense Distributed have inspired countless Americans to exercise their fundamental, individual rights, including through home gunsmithing. Through CodeIsFreeSpeech.com, we hope to promote the collection and dissemination of truthful, non-misleading speech, new and evolving ideas, and the advancement of the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms.

CodeIsFreeSpeech.com is a publicly-available Web site for truthful, non-misleading speech and information that is protected under the United States Constitution. The purpose of this project is to allow people to share knowledge and empower them to exercise their fundamental, individual rights. CodeIsFreeSpeech.com is a project of Firearms Policy Coalition, Firearms Policy Foundation, The Calguns Foundation, California Association of Federal Firearms Licensees, and a number of individuals who are passionate about the Constitution and individual liberties.....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast