Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AR-15 Side Charge

Why is there no love for a side charging AR-15.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post
    Why is there no love for a side charging AR-15.

You mean other then you can slap in a new mag while keeping the gun shouldered and charge the gun without punching yourself in the nose?

I don't know...
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Side chargers seem to be pretty popular in the unrestricted match disciplines, but they expose the interior of the upper to wind blown sand and admit mud when the rifle is dunked as well.

I am a Forum User
    Exposed interior

I am a Forum User
    A good side charging slide has the exterior no more exposed than a standard AR. Avoid the ones that are right side charging, a left side charging one will have the interior covered. The FAL was also side charging and no one ever complained of too much dirt in a FAL. As you can see from the picture, the hole in the slide is covered by a steel piece that moves with the bolt.

Name:  MA-9MM-SIDECHARGE-4.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  23.9 KB

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    You mean other then you can slap in a new mag while keeping the gun shouldered and charge the gun without punching yourself in the nose?

I don't know...
    Quote Originally Posted by JayZap16 View Post
    Exposed interior

Nope, only cheap right side charging have this issue, good uppers do not. Have you ever handled a good left side charging upper? If you want to try one let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by elwarpo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JayZap16 View Post
    Exposed interior
    Nope, only cheap right side charging have this issue, good uppers do not. Have you ever handled a good left side charging upper? If you want to try one let me know.
    Pay no attention. He was just running his post count up for an ad in the marketplace. He hit a bunch of threads.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    The original Stoner designed AR-3 and AR-10 7.62mm prototypes were all side cockers. Stoner moved the cocking handle to to the top, within the carry handle, to make room for the belt feed on the dual feed versions and this carried over to the magazine fed versions because ArmaLite management was not willing to pay for two different upper forging runs, and two different forging die sets.

ArmaLite adopted the current rear cocking mechanism, which was designed by Jim Sullivan, during Army trials of the first 20 AR-15 prototypes. Some of these 20 rifles were originally made as top cockers and then converted to the current rear cocking mechanism. U.S. Army Ordnance felt the top cocker allowed too much dirt and rain into the action. However, they had just adopted the open action M14 rifle which never had any weather or mud problems.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    I have two X-Products side chargers and greatly prefer them.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

I am a Forum User
    Side charging is pretty much a standard for NRA HP AR platform match rifles. Anything with an adjustable comb requires it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast