Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Colt Python 6 inch Blued

Ok, I don't have one, or need one...but I WANT one. In my opinion, the best looking handgun ever made. I have seen a couple on MGO recently that were going for $2000 to $2200. I do not know what they sold for. I just looked on Gunbroker!!! My Eyes! 12 pages of Pythons anywhere from $2400 to $14,000!!! I was hesitant at $2200, but are these guys kidding? Are they just trolling guys like me, who can't say no to a gun buy? I love the Python, but what makes them so expensive and desirable?
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

I am a Forum User
    It was a production gun that was more hand fitted than the standard assembly line process. Tighter tolerances, internals were more polished which made for a smoother action, which in the big picture also pushed up production cost. Of course now, no longer in production and demand is still there because of good marketing over the years. The drawback of the gun was when it had a problem or went "out of time" as they say, it required a very good gunsmith or you sent it back to the factory. I owned one, it was very smooth in the action and shot very well. I never did understand all the hype over them, one of those guns all the gun rag writers would constantly regurgitate as the best gun anywhere. I've shot many revolvers over the years, there are many that shoot just as well.

MGO Member
    The prices went up so much over the last 10 years primarily because of a TV show called "The Walking Dead" in which the main character Rick uses a 6" Python, although his is stainless or nickel plated...but all of the snake guns have gone up in price.

It seems the actual selling prices have gone down some of the last year or so. I personally wouldn't pay of $2,000 for one and anything under that would be a good deal.

MGO Member
    I have a 4 inch blued Python. If you actually shoot one, you'll know why they command the dollars. Smooth is an understatement. Mint condition will usually pop for 3K. Good Luck.
    " WE ARE BEING OVERRUN, FIRE ON OUR POSITION."

Quote Originally Posted by Preacherboy View Post
    The prices went up so much over the last 10 years primarily because of a TV show called "The Walking Dead" in which the main character Rick uses a 6" Python, although his is stainless or nickel plated...but all of the snake guns have gone up in price.

It seems the actual selling prices have gone down some of the last year or so. I personally wouldn't pay of $2,000 for one and anything under that would be a good deal.
    He doesn't use a Python. He uses a Anaconda. It's a 44 mag.
    US Army
    NRA member
    USPSA Chief Range Officer & NRA RSO
    NRA CPL instructor- group and private
    Private firearm instructions

MGO Member
    If you find one under 2K you are doing good. Occasionally a shooter grade can be had for $1500.

The Rick Grimes gun is a Python, they refer to it as such on occasion....He did once call it a .44 Magnum....but it's a python.

I am a Forum User
    There was someone just selling a revolver for their neighbor that was under $2k. I almost bought it.

I am a Forum User
    I considered a Python when I bought my first S&W 686...they'd just come out about then
    Think it was early '80's.. Python price was approx $600 @ the time, & S&W 686 price was approx. $350 , as I remember.

Spent (what I thought was an outrageous price) $100. on a trigger job on my 686..shortly after it's purchase.
    It measures @ about 2 3/4# trigger pull weight. Is more accurate that I can shoot it.

Many are willing to pay any amount for Colt pistols, for the name & believing their "investment" potential will continue to escalate.
    Talk to any experienced gunsmith & they'll admit Pythons, while nicely finished, & having nice triggers,
    are not all that reliable, or durable, if you shoot them a lot & can require adjustment.

Been shooting my 686 for going on 40 yrs.. & hasn't needed anything, ( 'cept cleaning )

I am a Forum User
    One was turned into the police and given to firing line for disposal. Saying that brand new python in a box, knowing it was being destroyed made you want to cry.

I am a Forum User
    Do yourself a favor. Purchase some cheaper colt revolvers like I did. Then move up to a python if you so desire (I wont pay the prices they command). Colt revolvers are hands down my favorite. I own one of each brand and still prefer a colt, especially old colts. I have a heavily carried and worn trooper from the early 50's. I'd put its action and trigger pull right up there with the best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast