Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by elwarpo View Post
    the thing to think about it is $2-4 every time you pull the trigger (not counting gas/range fees...), this adds up quickly. So consider paying a bit more and having a rifle you will really enjoy. very soon ammo and other expenses will eclipse the cost of the gun.

Gun 1500
    500 rounds ammo 1500
    Good scope 2000

Notice how 1000 more on the gun does not make a lot of difference in the total price. Think when you add another 1000 rounds...
    This is a great point and ultimately what lead to me selling my CZ 550 in .458 Lott. Ammo was almost $100/box for 20 rounds. 10 boxes of ammo are almost the price of the gun itself.

MGO Member
    Not sure about the cheapest, but stay away from a vulcan 50 bmg. they have a tendency to put the bolt into the shooter.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeebz View Post
    This is a great point and ultimately what lead to me selling my CZ 550 in .458 Lott. Ammo was almost $100/box for 20 rounds. 10 boxes of ammo are almost the price of the gun itself.
    Maybe I'm missing something but the 458 Lott is not a range or accuracy cartridge so if you're firing this gun off the bench or down range for kicks or whatever then at least get paid for it otherwise being a breathing crash dummy doesn't make much sense. I worked at a high end gun shop years ago and we took in many like new safari rifles with a couple of boxes of ammo that might have four dimpled primers. The 458's and similar are really made only for heavy thick skinned African game and if you can afford the safari and tags then the cost of a box of ammo is just a days tip for your driver.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebz View Post
    did you hunt with it ?

What has hunting got to do with it? I doubt the OP is planning to hunt with his 50 BMG either. Ammo costs to shoot paper or steel whether at 50 or 500 yds are still relevant to overall price of shooting these big bores.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    I was saying that the cost of a precision rifle (in 6.5cm or 50 cal) is only a small part of the whole package, so buying a cheap rifle will only mean you wasted money. A 50 cal system with a good sight, misc shooting accessories (range finder, spotting scope, ammo, sight...) is $6k - $15K. So comparing a cheap $1500 single shot rifle versus nice bolt action rifle at $3000 means only a 10-20% difference in total price.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12