Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DIY Media Blasting

So i just bought a Ruger LCRx and the cylinder on them are stainless so I want to remove the black coating, leaving it matte stainless for a two-tone look. Is there any easy way to do that yourself if you don't own a media blaster or tumbler?

I am a Forum User
    If you have an air compressor, go to HF and buy the gravity blast gun with the red hopper. Then, go to TSC and buy the big bag of coal slag abrasive for $8. Do it outside with face protection. Done.

I have a small media blast cabinet and aluminum oxide (120 mesh) and glass bead abrasives. You are welcome to stop by one day and use the cabinet if you wish.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

MGO Member
    I will be interested in seeing before & after pictures of this project.
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by JDeko View Post
    So i just bought a Ruger LCRx and the cylinder on them are stainless so I want to remove the black coating, leaving it matte stainless for a two-tone look. Is there any easy way to do that yourself if you don't own a media blaster or tumbler?
    Only want to do it is probably chemically with airplane stripper might work but do not reinvent the wheel. Talk to rifle guy.

Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy View Post
    I have a small media blast cabinet and aluminum oxide (120 mesh) and glass bead abrasives. You are welcome to stop by one day and use the cabinet if you wish.
    take rifleguy up on his offer, even if you decide to buy a different media like walnut shells etc. I hear AO is great and preferred in many gun finish situations.

That's probably what I'll do in the near future. I was very happy to get such a generous offer.

What media would people suggest for blasting the black off a stainless steel cylinder?

I am a Forum User
    Ruger does a lot of their stainless coloring by CVD or PVD coating in their Prescott facility. If the black finish on your cylinder is vapor deposited CrN, it will be extremely difficult to remove by blasting. The commercial vapor deposition guys remove these coatings by charged plasma stripping in vacuum furnaces, which is not an option for the home hobbyist.

Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    Ruger does a lot of their stainless coloring by CVD or PVD coating in their Prescott facility. If the black finish on your cylinder is vapor deposited CrN, it will be extremely difficult to remove by blasting. The commercial vapor deposition guys remove these coatings by charged plasma stripping in vacuum furnaces, which is not an option for the home hobbyist.
    Yeesh, so chances are I'll just scuff it up and make it look like crap?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JDeko View Post
    Yeesh, so chances are I'll just scuff it up and make it look like crap?
    Probably. CrN is the usual species vapor deposited to get a lustrous black surface color. Vapor deposited CrN is used industrially on hot forging dies and survives thousands of hits at 2,000 F, each of which are quite abrasive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast