Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    Probably. CrN is the usual species vapor deposited to get a lustrous black surface color. Vapor deposited CrN is used industrially on hot forging dies and survives thousands of hits at 2,000 F, each of which are quite abrasive.
    If I was dead set on a two-tone look could I get it NP3 coated?

I am a Forum User
    CrN is not very electrically conductive, so you cannot electroplate it. NP3 is autocatalytic - not deposited by electrolysis - so there is a chance it will work. But CrN does not offer much 'tooth' to attach the nickel-phosphorous to, so it may flake off. You can electroplate to the vapor deposited carbides because they are sufficiently conductive, but not autocatalytically plate them. The vapor deposited carbides offer about the same 'tooth' as CrN vapor deposited coatings.

Why don't you contact Ruger and see if they will sell you a bare stainless cylinder? All they would be doing is bypassing the coating operation. Their parts people are helpful and the cost would be much lower.

Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    CrN is not very electrically conductive, so you cannot electroplate it. NP3 is autocatalytic - not deposited by electrolysis - so there is a chance it will work. But CrN does not offer much 'tooth' to attach the nickel-phosphorous to, so it may flake off. You can electroplate to the vapor deposited carbides because they are sufficiently conductive, but not autocatalytically plate them. The vapor deposited carbides offer about the same 'tooth' as CrN vapor deposited coatings.

Why don't you contact Ruger and see if they will sell you a bare stainless cylinder? All they would be doing is bypassing the coating operation. Their parts people are helpful and the cost would be much lower.
    Thanks! I'll try that.

I emailed Ruger about this and the sights issue [supposedly a lot of the aftermarket sights don't have the same POI with the 327 Federal] and they just replied they don't sell any night or fiber optic sights that work with the 327 Federal. Maybe I'll ask them solely about this at a later time.

I am a Forum User
    Bring it to me and I'll blast it and cerakote the barrel in stainless cerakote. $30 which is a pretty cheap option that will last a lifetime.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danco411 View Post
    Bring it to me and I'll blast it and cerakote the barrel in stainless cerakote. $30 which is a pretty cheap option that will last a lifetime.
    I was going to suggest cerakote. Danco's offer seems very reasonable.
    No clause in the constitution could by any rule of construction be conceived to give congress a power to disarm the people. Such a flagitious attempt could only be made under some general pretence by a state legislature. But if in any blind pursuit of inordinate power, either should attempt it, this amendment may be appealed to as a restraint on both.
    William Rawle - offered the position of the first Attorney General of the United States, by President Washington

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12