Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Since the Michigan Supreme Court ruled that preemption only applies to the government bodies specifically enumerated in the statute, can we expect that the DNR will have to list all of the items considered to be bait and whatever they don't list is legal?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by luckless View Post
    With all of this management, why does fishing and hunting suck so bad?
    Check username.

I passed several deer on MI public land last year. Harvested a buck in Indiana. Got 2 bucks in MI year before.

Not sure what to think of the "kill the deer to save the deer" strategy.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkledshirt View Post
    Check username.

I passed several deer on MI public land last year. Harvested a buck in Indiana. Got 2 bucks in MI year before.

When you're dealing with a disease that seems to spread through... anything involving contact or proximity, there aren't a whole lot of other ways to reduce contact or proximity. You could try that whole "feed the deer birth control" strategy, but that's expensive and doesn't really do a lot of good. You can try hiring "marksmen" to shoot them, but they're very very expensive and have limited effect. So you tell hunters you'll let them hunt more, make a few bucks, and thin the herd.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by DrScaryGuy View Post
    When you're dealing with a disease that seems to spread through... anything involving contact or proximity, there aren't a whole lot of other ways to reduce contact or proximity. You could try that whole "feed the deer birth control" strategy, but that's expensive and doesn't really do a lot of good. You can try hiring "marksmen" to shoot them, but they're very very expensive and have limited effect. So you tell hunters you'll let them hunt more, make a few bucks, and thin the herd.
    I understand that, just like I understood why Obama said, "if you like your doctor you can keep your doctor." But I'm not 100% sold the DNR/NRC is prosecuting the most effective campaign to deal with CWD. It feels more like a hail mary that 20 years from now we'll look back on and say, WTF were they thinking?

I am a Forum User
    I understand that, just like I understood why Obama said, "if you like your doctor you can keep your doctor." But I'm not 100% sold the DNR/NRC is prosecuting the most effective campaign to deal with CWD. It feels more like a hail mary that 20 years from now we'll look back on and say, WTF were they thinking?

seems to be just that. MOst CWD states have recognized that the older deer are more likely to be carriers/contract the disease.. Yet, Michigan
    feels compelled to mandate making the herd "older" for the food plotters to harvest their trophy animals. Seems counter-intuitive.

They ( DNR ) want to eradicate the deer to chase the problem away, but then they take away the tools for the "average" guy to do just that..
    bait.

And then they wonder why license sales are dropping? No problem! Just create MORE and MORE special hunts... problem is, these
    special hunts are NOT having the desired effect. Their solution? HAVE MORE!

It is beginning to look more and more like a "pay to play " scenario. Those with the money, are dictating the rules.

at least... thats how I see it.

Check username.

Yep, I see lots of deer when I'm eight hours away from home, too. Twenty years ago the hunting was pretty good around here. It has been terrible for about ten years.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by DrScaryGuy View Post
    :words:
    .......So you tell hunters you'll let them hunt more, make a few bucks, and thin the herd.
    Therein lies the problem. They're not doing that. Not even close. They're not bring more hunters into the field, nor are they making hunting any easier for those of us that do dredge through the red tape year after year.
    Last edited by Quads; 08-14-2018 at 03:43 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by pkuptruck View Post
    ....Yet, Michigan feels compelled to mandate making the herd "older" for the food plotters to harvest their trophy animals. Seems counter-intuitive.

They ( DNR ) want to eradicate the deer to chase the problem away, but then they take away the tools for the "average" guy to do just that..
    bait.....
    CWD is not well understood, but we do know that the prions responsible appear to be very stable and long-lived in soil. Deer rooting around with their noses to the ground in high traffic areas (bait piles) may be the major vector for CWD today. This is the reason why loose ground bait is being severely regulated. Eventually, the MNRC and MDARD will have to ban food plots as well, but this is more difficult legally because it is really outside of DNR jurisdiction.

I am a Forum User
    I don't have food plots or bait piles. I just have random apple trees around my property

However this year we planted pumpkins and corn.. Deer are eating our corn..

Like previously stated i think the issue is that less and less hunters are hunting. The whole propaganda on how guns are bad (mmkay?) and the increasing of licensing fees and making you buy other licenses to buy a regular tag is just nickle and diming people. Wish i would have been old enough in 89 to get the lifetime tag

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12