Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Recommendation for a Ruger 44 Mag Carbine Scope

Returning to deer hunting this year. Looking to replace old scope (25 years old). Thinking of 3-9 or 4-12 with 40 objective in either Vortex, Nikon or Cabelas scope. Any thoughts, recommendation or experience with these? Will be hunting farmland this year so thought 4-12 would give a better look at antlers earlier.

I am a Forum User
    I have a old ruger 44 mag carbine and it has put a lot of venison in the freezer.

I have a sightron 2.5 x 7 x 38 on it. the scope is about 12 years old. Awesome scope!

Personally, I like the 2.5 power setting, works good on the close ones and you can dial it up to 7 power on the ones 100 yards out. Never felt underscoped with it.

Have shot the box with it and it is repeatable and tractable. an excellent scope.

Liked it so much I got the same scope for another rifle.

On most of my firearms I have leupolds and enjoy the high quality optics and I can tell you that this sightron is a good scope. Not sure if they offer a similar scope now but check them out.

Regards,
    Crankster

I think Nikon and vortex have the best warranties, looking at some Cabela's scopes lately I read of warranty denials, and even there best ones not holding zero and denied warranty.

Vortex would never do that to you.

My Ruger Carbine came with a leather scope protector that wraps around the tube above the ejection port. If you do not have this, the scope tube will get whacked by each case!
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Patron Member
    NRA Handgun Instructor
    USCCA Handgun Instructor

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by ltcnav View Post
    My Ruger Carbine came with a leather scope protector that wraps around the tube above the ejection port. If you do not have this, the scope tube will get whacked by each case!
    I use a see through mount on mine.
    Let's me get off quick, short range shots with the iron sights, and (apparently) avoids the problem described above, though, my side ejecting action cannot really through the brass into the scope in any case. (No pun intended)
    Are we talking about the same firearm?
    In my opinion, any half way decent scope will do.
    It's hardly a sniper rifle, after all.
    Name:  DSCN0213.jpg
Views: 5114
Size:  95.2 KB
    Last edited by CyborgHunter; 08-12-2018 at 05:15 PM.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Member
    I went with the Leupold 2-7, but a fixed 4x would be just as good. Lightweight. I Don’t need high magnification given the ballstic limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by chad234 View Post
    I went with the Leupold 2-7, but a fixed 4x would be just as good. Lightweight. I Don’t need high magnification given the ballstic limitations.

My thoughts...
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    I deal with optics companies often in the gun shop where I work. Vortex warranty is top notch and fast, but They do have a slightly higher failure rate than Leupold in my experience. Leupold is excellent quality, excellent warranty, low failure rate, but not as quick of a turn around on warranty claims. Nikon, has fell behind Leupold and Vortex in warranty service. Personally, I'd be looking for a 2-7 or possibly or a fixed 4 power scope. If you can find a VX-1 that would be an excellent value. They are great scopes for the money, especially when considering the max range of a 44 mag.

I am a Forum User
    Nothing wrong with older scopes. I put a Weaver k2.5 on mine just for the classic looks, but it works just fine for deer hunting at 100 yards or less.

I am a Forum User
    I would recommend vortex, I like their "if you break it, we will fix it" warranty. I have dealt with their warranty department and it was just amazing. Phenomenal customer service. If you are considering cabelas, go to the bargain cave and pick up a refurbished vortex cheap. It still has the lifetime warranty and you save some money.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast