Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    Do it in the winter when the ground is frozen. The ice can support an amazing amount of weight. If you keep the snow off the top at the start, the frost will go pretty deep.

I wouldn't want something as nice as that shooting backstop. It seems like it would fill up with lead at some point and perhaps risk ricochet not to mention it's going to get shot to s**t anyway. Maybe if you layered up the main shooting area 3 boards deep, then you could swap out the front now and then or something...

The idea of getting a load brought in when the ground is frozen is a great idea. Thanks for that. I have a buddy up there that does septics & such. Will run that idea by him. Definitely be the cheapest way to go. 20Yds. or so ?

The sharing of simple ideas is what keeps me coming back to this place. Civility is such a wonderful thing.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

I have seen pictures of backstops of used tires stacked high filled with dirt.

I am a Forum User
    20 won't be enough most likely....

http://www.realpagessites.com/murphy...ubic-yards.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by thedonn007 View Post
    I have seen pictures of backstops of used tires stacked high filled with dirt.
    You can alao completely cover the stacks of tires with dirt to create a nice berm. The tires act as a structure to your mound/berm to help prevent errosion.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocowheats View Post
    You can alao completely cover the stacks of tires with dirt to create a nice berm. The tires act as a structure to your mound/berm to help prevent errosion.
    I looked into this a little more, guess there is some concern with disposing of the tires if you want to sell your property.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by thedonn007 View Post
    I looked into this a little more, guess there is some concern with disposing of the tires if you want to sell your property.
    No issue with the lead saturated dirt?

Quote Originally Posted by dwcopple View Post
    8' landscape timbers go on clearance for $1.97 ea at summer's end at Home Depot
    the $2-$5 landscaping timbers are only 3"x5"x8' and even though they are treated are to fragile for a backstop, they damage easily (from my experience).

Railroad ties are 7"x9"x8 and creasote soaked, very heavy and will last a long time if new, the older reclaimed ties lasted a few years and started to crumble and fall apart, even though they were in good condition when placed, they were probably 10-15+ years old when the RR replaced and scrapped them.

Quote Originally Posted by DEVIL DOG View Post
    The idea of getting a load brought in when the ground is frozen is a great idea. Thanks for that. I have a buddy up there that does septics & such. Will run that idea by him. Definitely be the cheapest way to go. 20Yds. or so ?

The sharing of simple ideas is what keeps me coming back to this place. Civility is such a wonderful thing.
    An average dump truck load of fill sand is 15 yards and will drop a load around 8'x8' peaked to about 5' high but remember that is loose and will compact roughly 50% over the next few months. Six to ten (15 yard) loads will give you a small but safe backstop. Don't forget you will need a loader to raise to a good shooting height.

I kind of like the idea of using tires filled with a sand / gravel mixture. Did a little research & it's like most things nowadays, plenty of pros & cons. May be more dangerous than it's worth.

Another idea that seems worthwhile thinking about is a log pile. 8-10" logs stacked in a pyramid about 10' long would make a good backstop. After a couple shooting seasons the front row could be added to. I have enough trees on my property to make one.
    Last edited by DEVIL DOG; 10-21-2018 at 11:13 PM.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast