Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SHOOTING BACKSTOP

Saw this backstop somewhere & copied the pic. Might want to make something like this on my property Up North. Was wondering if anyone remembers seeing this? I would like to know the size of the timbers used. Looks like a 4x6 or so.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

I am a Forum User
    Looks damn expensive...

I am a Forum User
    If you stay away from the landscaping places, they darn near give away used rail road ties. A buddy's who land I shoot on did something similar with them. Staggered 3 deep, then shored up with dirt behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by Quads View Post
    If you stay away from the landscaping places, they darn near give away used rail road ties. A buddy's who land I shoot on did something similar with them. Staggered 3 deep, then shored up with dirt behind them.
    +1 on railroad ties, you can buy them 12-15$ each(sometimes less) Hit up craigslist. Pressure Treated @ 30+$ each 6x6's... ties are also a bit bigger 7x9 ... Also if you have a good stand of small jack pine -- 6" & up, you could cut up a few those...

I am a Forum User
    8' landscape timbers go on clearance for $1.97 ea at summer's end at Home Depot

There's a place in Manton about 15 miles down the road from me that makes utility poles. Pressure treated but they look like it's tar based. Gonna stop in there next time up & see about those. They must have drops from the logs that I could use.

Wonder how thick it would have to be to stop a 7.62x39mm out of an AK @ 100'. Think that's about as powerful a round as I have. Landscape timbers are too thin, no? Can't imagine that one in the pic would stay pretty like that for long.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

71 AND COUNTING

Quote Originally Posted by dwcopple View Post
    Looks damn expensive...

Very nice range/backstop, but..
    Not only is wood expensive to start, but it doesn't hold up well to bullets. I would expect to have to replace the center impact area every couple thousand rounds at minimum if restricting your shooting to std caliber handguns. Shoot rifles or magnum handguns and replacement will be sooner.

Notice to the wood is back filled with sand/dirt. The soil is all you need to act as a back stop, just keep the rocks and fused lead clumps filtered out to help prevent splatter/ricochet
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I would prefer to just have a 20' long berm about 8-10' high. Problem is, my yard is very SOFT. Water table is very high. No way to get a big truck back there. Fill is cheap up there, but getting it in there without carrying a pick up full is a problem.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

71 AND COUNTING

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dwcopple View Post
    Looks damn expensive...
    No doubt.... especially to shoot the piss out of it..[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Do it in the winter when the ground is frozen. The ice can support an amazing amount of weight. If you keep the snow off the top at the start, the frost will go pretty deep.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast