Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Anyone shooting off of a tripod?

Looking to put together a solid shooting tripod. I've quickly realized that this is definitely a pay to play game! Jeez you can spend money quick putting a system together!

I think I have the tripod picked (Carbon fiber twist lock 3 section legs) rated for 26 lbs. Comes with a most likely inadequate ball head. I'm thinking of going with a leveling base and a Arca QR clamp with an arca swiss rail on the ff m-lok handguard, but definitely dont have RRS type money to invest. Can anyone offer a more reasonably priced solution? This will most likely exclusively be used with a lightweight 6.5 Grendel Ar15

I really don't think I want a saddle type mount, but maybe I will have to go that route.

Thanks for any help!

I am a Forum User
    I run a primos trigger stick got quick adjustability. Ball head and pig saddle. Works for me.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

I am a Forum User
    What ball head are you running? How's the stability with that set-up?

That's where this journey began for me. I was looking at something for shooting in the field at hunting distances, but the internet got the best of me and now I find myself looking at set-ups that are upwards of $600! I'd like to find something really stable at about half of that. Top of the line set-ups are north of $1k for just the tripod alone. Crazy money.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaddy View Post
    Looking to put together a solid shooting tripod. I've quickly realized that this is definitely a pay to play game! Jeez you can spend money quick putting a system together!

I think I have the tripod picked (Carbon fiber twist lock 3 section legs) rated for 26 lbs. Comes with a most likely inadequate ball head. I'm thinking of going with a leveling base and a Arca QR clamp with an arca swiss rail on the ff m-lok handguard, but definitely dont have RRS type money to invest. Can anyone offer a more reasonably priced solution? This will most likely exclusively be used with a lightweight 6.5 Grendel Ar15

I really don't think I want a saddle type mount, but maybe I will have to go that route.

Thanks for any help!
    Is this to hunt of off or just to steady a gun for sighting in, shooting, & chronograph work?

If it isn't for hunting & carrying around then I use a couple of old camera tripods (I have 3 tripods, 2 bought off of E-Bay & one bought from Craigs List locally) -- local one was $10.00 without camera adapter & the E-bay ones were $15.00 & $19.00.

I use a Lexan (or some sort of hard plastic anyhow) soap dish bolted to top of the tripods, then toss a small sand filled rabbit ear shooting bag in the soap dish to rest my rifle or pistol on.

Probably not something to carry around while hunting but works great for initial zeroing & for steady chronograph work plus the adjustability is pretty broad including tilt & angle.

Quote Originally Posted by sadaddy View Post
    What ball head are you running? How's the stability with that set-up?

That's where this journey began for me. I was looking at something for shooting in the field at hunting distances, but the internet got the best of me and now I find myself looking at set-ups that are upwards of $600! I'd like to find something really stable at about half of that. Top of the line set-ups are north of $1k for just the tripod alone. Crazy money.
    Are you competing or shooting at some longer distance than most ranges allow, like 600 yards or more ?

If you are shooting 100-300 a harris, a versapod or similar will be ok.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gu...-bipods#page-3

if you are going to have a 1k bipod, do you have a custom $2500 rifle and a sight up to the task, probably a $2500 sight as well ?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    Are you competing or shooting at some longer distance than most ranges allow, like 600 yards or more ?

If you are shooting 100-300 a harris, a versapod or similar will be ok.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gu...-bipods#page-3

if you are going to have a 1k bipod, do you have a custom $2500 rifle and a sight up to the task, probably a $2500 sight as well ?
    I am NOT going to spend $1k on the set-up. I just am realizing that it's entirely possible, and somewhat common for people to do so. This will be for hunting purposes as well as steel at longer than typical shooting/hunting distances. I am blessed to be able to shoot to 750 from my deck, and the occasional coyote happens across the property every now and then, along with woodchucks and raccoons and various other targets of opportunity. I have steel at 275 and 600 yards, and will be trying to go longer. I'd like the tripod to be portable enough to take in the field for coyote sets, and steady enough for ringing steel on a Sunday afternoon. The rifle and optic are up to the task (at least from bipod/bags as of now).

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

well if you can do it easy from your deck, that makes the answer pretty easy. Start sorta cheap and see if it fails you in any way. You can get a harris depending on which one 40-90 bucks.

Then as long as you do not bust it, you can get $25 back or throw it on another gun.

If it fails you, you are out max, $50.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    well if you can do it easy from your deck, that makes the answer pretty easy. Start sorta cheap and see if it fails you in any way. You can get a harris depending on which one 40-90 bucks.

Then as long as you do not bust it, you can get $25 back or throw it on another gun.

If it fails you, you are out max, $50.
    Where are you finding 40$ Harris bipods?

I am a Forum User
    Go here: http://www.hogsaddle.com/ . Get the Pig 0311 tripod with a pig saddle or ball head within your price point. I’ve used or had half a dozen different shooting tripods over the last 11 years ranging from basically shooting sticks to high end carbon fiber rigs. For what you are looking for, within your price range, the Pig 0311 is the best option.

I am a Forum User
    i was/am looking for a similar setup, for a different reason. Have an ATN Xsight and the damn thing is 3lbs.. wanted to make a
    setup that I could use in a ground blind.. or ? and be pretty portable ( I hate lugging crap around.. )

Found this... and it works fairly well. Might upgrade the tripod portion... but for now it works. Even works for my crossbow.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/65...SABEgIBmfD_BwE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast