Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am a Forum User
    dirtmcgirt76239-
    I have bipods and bags and a bench, that's not what I'm looking for. Bipods typically don't work too well in the field, at least not for me anyway. I've not had too many opportunities to go prone and get solid because of tall vegetation, terrain or lack of time.

I'm speaking of a TRIpod system (think camera tripod). Should allow anything from prone, to sitting to standing as well as hold the rifle hands-free, and allow panning, tilting and leveling.

Most likely this is the one I will end up trying. $170 for the tripod and ball head and probably another $50 for a direct attach m-lok to arca-swiss rail.

https://www.google.com/search?q=shoo..._BP02wHZ_uC3M:

Edit: thanks to the two posters above! Must have been responding at the same time I was.
    Last edited by sadaddy; 08-17-2018 at 02:30 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by RECON762WT View Post
    Go here: http://www.hogsaddle.com/ . Get the Pig 0311 tripod with a pig saddle or ball head within your price point. I’ve used or had half a dozen different shooting tripods over the last 11 years ranging from basically shooting sticks to high end carbon fiber rigs. For what you are looking for, within your price range, the Pig 0311 is the best option.
    Would you suggest the saddle, or a direct attach plate to the ball head? I'm curious as to which you prefer if you've used both methods. Thanks!

I am a Forum User
    This is what I use as well as many of my long range shooter friends. It is all you will ever need. Mount an Acra Swiss adapter to your rifle and your good to go. RRS makes adapters for quite a few rifles.

https://www.amazon.com/Feisol-Travel...70_&dpSrc=srch

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Danco411 View Post
    This is what I use as well as many of my long range shooter friends. It is all you will ever need. Mount an Acra Swiss adapter to your rifle and your good to go. RRS makes adapters for quite a few rifles.

https://www.amazon.com/Feisol-Travel...70_&dpSrc=srch
    Thanks Dan, I was hoping you would see this. Do you have any experience or suggestions for an arca-swiss adapter or rail for an mlok AR hand guard?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaddy View Post
    Would you suggest the saddle, or a direct attach plate to the ball head? I'm curious as to which you prefer if you've used both methods. Thanks!
    It just depends. Your rifle(s) need to be set up to use a Arca rail, so that adds additional expense and also limits flexibility depending on how many different rifles you intend to use. A direct mount platform, like an Arca Swiss provides for more accuracy/precision at extended distances. But if you really want to go that route, plan to spend a few hundred on a good ballhead or leveling base. The Hog Saddle type clamp mounts can be "easier" to use from a rifle setup and expediency standpoint.

I'll also say this, it helps to have a beefy tripod. These little collapsible tripods do not cut the mustard. You need factor in the weight of your rifle, some of the weight of your body to load the rifle, and the effects of recoil. I've seen more than a handful of tripods collapse or snap. When I teach precision rifle classes I recommend the Pig 0311 to entry level shooters because it is somewhat purpose built and has a proven track record (heck its even issued to some police departments and military units).

Just depends on what you want to do. If you are trying to build something to clang steel at extended distances, then I'd go more of the Arca Swiss route, if you want something more for hunting, then I'd go the clamp style mount (either way, if you get a good tripod you can always swap back and forth).

I am a Forum User
    Thanks Recon. That is exactly the type of feedback I'd hoped for. Maybe the pig saddle would be more practical for use on other rifles, great point!

I am a Forum User
    Not sure if they make an M-Lok adapter but I'm sure someone does. For AR's is direct bolt an adapter to the rail with a backer plate. The Fiesol CF unit holds up my heavy AI with no issues.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12