Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Performance impact of professional scope install.

How much do Smith's charge?

Is this kit close enough that a diy er can ring enough performance that is not a good value to use a Smith. https://shop.opticsplanet.com/wheele...RoCB8cQAvD_BwE

Just looking at mid range stuff Nikon rimfire and a 3x9 hunting scope on say a 308 or 450 Bushmaster.

I am a Forum User
    Dear Dirt:

I use either aimpoint rings or weaver rings and have mounted a lot of scopes. You really do not need that kit, you can mount it yourself.

Also, I have also fixed a number of scopes mounted by a gunsmith on my teammates firearms, a free scope mounting from a gun store gunsmith is not worth the money you paid for it.

Use blue loc tite, mount the rings without the scope and eyeball them to make sure they are aligned. confirm it with a wood dowel. Get the recticle plumb using the chase the shot method.

the chase the shot, get your scope zeroed. get a target with a bull and vertical and horizontal lines and mount it on the target board plumb with a carpenters level. crank your scope up 5 inches of elevation and shoot three rounds with the recticle matching the horizontal and vertical lines on the target. If your shots are directly above the bull 5 inches, you are plumb. If they are to the right of the plumbline, rotate your scope to the left a bit. If they are to the left, rotate scope to right. Repeat until the shots are above bull on plumbline.

Regards,
    Crankster

Quote Originally Posted by crankythunder View Post
    Dear Dirt:

I use either aimpoint rings or weaver rings and have mounted a lot of scopes. You really do not need that kit, you can mount it yourself.

Also, I have also fixed a number of scopes mounted by a gunsmith on my teammates firearms, a free scope mounting from a gun store gunsmith is not worth the money you paid for it.
    I watched a vid by larry potterfield he suggested it was important to align the mounts, if they are off it could cause a little whip to the tube, and distortion. Do you agree ?

I have always just put scopes on myself, but I do not compete, and do not try to compete, and do not shoot at 500 yards, or 600 yards. So I am unsure how much performance I have robbed myself with a hacky install.

Use blue loc tite, mount the rings without the scope and eyeball them to make sure they are aligned. confirm it with a wood dowel. Get the recticle plumb using the chase the shot method.
    I have locktite use it all the time, I did not think a wood dowel was good enough. Ok, maybe it is.

the chase the shot, get your scope zeroed. get a target with a bull and vertical and horizontal lines and mount it on the target board plumb with a carpenters level. crank your scope up 5 inches of elevation and shoot three rounds with the recticle matching the horizontal and vertical lines on the target. If your shots are directly above the bull 5 inches, you are plumb. If they are to the right of the plumbline, rotate your scope to the left a bit. If they are to the left, rotate scope to right. Repeat until the shots are above bull on plumbline.

Regards,
    Crankster
    Ok. So you think its a waste, no to virtually no impact?

I just bought warne rings for my 22 and nikon scope, I was not going to lap them, but did want to correctly alighn the mounts.