Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    I'll second what 10x25 has said...most 1911's will run fine with a little tic

New STOCK weight springs...no extra power or reduced power 16# recoil, 23# main

Get a new quality extractor...(lots of makers use crap steel) learn to refine the hook and how to tune for tension

Ejector...check the nose and that it's secured (pinned preferably)

Mag release...check that it's not worn (crap steel) and that it doesn't trap the mag when you push it all the way

Feed ramp and barrel throat...leave them alone , very few guns need throated now days and NONE need polished

Don't get a trigger job on cast or MIM parts it won't last...polishing the contact surfaces is the most you want to do on those
    I ended up ordered a 16# recoil spring, not sure what the current one in there is but figured it was cheap enough and old enough it probably warranted a replacement as well as a Wilson Combat Bulletproof extractor. Ejector seems okay to me.

So have you been able to replace the parts and do a function check?
    NRA Life member, NRARSO, Howell Gun Club member, MDFI Alum 2019 & 2020, 2023 GOA Life Member. MGO life member.

Quote Originally Posted by XDM 40 cal View Post
    So have you been able to replace the parts and do a function check?
    They just arrived in the mail today from Brownell's. Planning on getting them in later today and trying it out sometime this week.

Quote Originally Posted by castrotikon View Post
    They just arrived in the mail today from Brownell's. Planning on getting them in later today and trying it out sometime this week.
    Ah, very good... If you need any help let me know.
    NRA Life member, NRARSO, Howell Gun Club member, MDFI Alum 2019 & 2020, 2023 GOA Life Member. MGO life member.

Quote Originally Posted by XDM 40 cal View Post
    Ah, very good... If you need any help let me know.
    Put a post in the gunsmith sub forum as I ran into some other issues with it if you want to take a crack at it. No issues with the extractor install though, will hopefully function test this week.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    http://www.americanarmsengineering.us/ he is on here, he does 1911 reliabililty stuff.

1911 work- Michigan`s finest pistol builder- "WE CREATE A GREAT SHOOTER FROM THE INSIDE OUT"

OUR MOST POPULAR PACKAGE- your 1911 is ready for street, field use or range.

Our carry package includes we stock parts unless other wise noted: Thumb Safety hone for smooth yet positive operation, Throat and polish of feed ramp and Barrel for flawless feeding of ball and H.P. Ammo, Extractor tuned and adjusted, Trigger / recut and hone to a crisp 3.5 to 4 lbs clean brake. Wilson style recess target crown for enhanced accuracy and crown protection.

All for $199.00.

Prices denote labor only.

Doug jones, I always hear about him and I do not even have a 1911.
    Ron has always done right by me. Hes an old world craftsman in the modern era.
    I actually had his carry package done to a Springfield Armory 1911 and it works as it should, flawless. My EDC is wearing his cerakote, after a year it is holding up better than the last job. I cheerfully will have some more refinish work for him when I can get over to see him.

Recoil spring would be the first thing I'd check- so, glad you ordered a 16# one to replace. As the spring gets weak, the slide is allowed to move faster and can out run the extractor.
    If that doesn't stop the stovepipe, if you want to check the extractor strength, here's a simple test: load one round into the mag, let the slide go forward and load that into the chamber. Then drop the mag and shoot. If the brass either falls through the open magwell or barely ejects, it's a tension issue. The magazine spring itself somewhat assists in ejection and to a larger extent so does any ammo that would be left in the mag. Hence the reason most stovepipes on 1911s happen with the last round.
    If it is an extractor issue, YouTube 'extractor tension' and you'll see a bevy of videos to choose from. STI does a good video as does Brownells. Get yourself an armorer's block and in about 5 min, you'll have the tension set.
    It's also possible you are limp-wristing it if you're not used to 45 recoil. But, I highly doubt that.

If you are bound for a reliability package, Ned Christiansen out of Three Rivers is arguably the greatest 1911 smith for that. While he doesn't make the most aesthetically pleasing 1911s (that belongs to Joe Chambers, Yost, Rogers or Chen), his engineering mind is amazing for making sure you have a fighting 1911. Problem is getting him to take new work. But, I haven't tried in awhile and he may be taking smaller jobs like action tuning and reliability.
    Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. Ronald Reagan

Gotta be somebody need some killin
    Major Benson Winifred Payne

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    http://www.americanarmsengineering.us/ he is on here, he does 1911 reliabililty stuff.

1911 work- Michigan`s finest pistol builder- "WE CREATE A GREAT SHOOTER FROM THE INSIDE OUT"

OUR MOST POPULAR PACKAGE- your 1911 is ready for street, field use or range.

Our carry package includes we stock parts unless other wise noted: Thumb Safety hone for smooth yet positive operation, Throat and polish of feed ramp and Barrel for flawless feeding of ball and H.P. Ammo, Extractor tuned and adjusted, Trigger / recut and hone to a crisp 3.5 to 4 lbs clean brake. Wilson style recess target crown for enhanced accuracy and crown protection.

All for $199.00.

Prices denote labor only.

Doug jones, I always hear about him and I do not even have a 1911.
    Ron did my RIA double stack. Totally recommend him

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12