Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gun show

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator SteveS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DEVIL DOG View Post
    This issue has been discussed AD NAUSEAM. If it bothers you, please, just stay away. No one is forcing you to do anything. I don't like PFZ's either, but crying about rules someone else imposes on you will not solve the issue.
    Huh?

No one is "crying" about anything. If a discussion regarding gun rights occurring on a gun rights forum bothers you, I don't have an easy answer. As for any 'problem,' let's break it down. Is it a problem? Probably. I have never really heard a decent reason as to why, so I'll assume that the person that owns these shows thinks the only people that should have guns at the show are law enforcement and people with the exempt box checked. The rest of the public is too dangerous/stupid/negligent to be allowed to carry at their gun shows. This isn't an industry standard, as some allow carry, so what is special about these shows?

I don't presume to speak for the gun rights community, but it seems that most state and national groups aren't supportive of GFZs, so what recourse do we have? We could cry, but I agree that probably won't accomplish much. We could look for some legislative solution, but that may be difficult and possibly a waste of political capital. We could also let the organizer know that we won't attend the shows if they are going to have rule. If enough people did so, they may change it. After all, this isn't Starbucks or Target, where a relatively small number of customers cares about being able to carry a gun. I'd guess that gun show patrons, as a group, are more supportive of gun rights.

As for bothering me, I don't lose sleep over this issue, but it just puzzles me that people that say they care about gun rights would PAY someone that has demonstrated their lack of respect for them. It reminds me of an abuse victim that keeps going back to their abuser. It isn't like gun shows are the only place to find guns.
    Opinions and comments made by me on this forum should not be considered legal advice.

I guess sometimes one has to swallow their pride or whatever you want to call it to do something you enjoy even though some restrictions are put in place that you can't agree with. If you were a big football fan, & loved to go to the games, would you stop going if guns were not allowed?

I will probably continue to attend these shows. It does bring me some enjoyment in this divided society we live in. Even in these forums, we are divided by different beliefs. I can understand why you won't attend, but at the same time, you should respect my desire to go.

I agree that collectively, a boycott of gun shows would definitely have an impact on the promoters. Most of them are probably just doing it to make money. If we tried to force them into doing something they won't agree with, the shows would just end.

Maybe a poll asking whether one would attend any venue that bans guns would be a good way to end this debate.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by DEVIL DOG View Post
    I guess sometimes one has to swallow their pride or whatever you want to call it to do something you enjoy even though some restrictions are put in place that you can't agree with. If you were a big football fan, & loved to go to the games, would you stop going if guns were not allowed?

I agree that collectively, a boycott of gun shows would definitely have an impact on the promoters. Most of them are probably just doing it to make money. If we tried to force them into doing something they won't agree with, the shows would just end.

The football games example probably not the best. Sports arenas and stadiums are one of the specificity prohibited premises for CPL carry (MCL 28.425o).

But I take your point. A private business certainly has the right to encourage or prohibit weapons.

We then have the choice to patronize or not. As you mentioned, show promoters want to make money. If a business decision affects the bottom line, they must decide if it’s worth the revenue loss.

MHB

Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    ………... A gun show is one place that we shouldn't be treated as second class citizens.
    A huge % of gun owners are totally responsible, & would pose absolutely no problems carrying loaded firearms in GFZ. The very small # that would pose a problem are the ones these promoters are using for their decision. No different from different laws & restrictions. I don't personally know anyone that should be barred from carrying a gun in the Post Office. And still, there is a law that keeps everyone from carrying there.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

71 AND COUNTING

For me, the most dangerous part of carrying a loaded firearm is holstering & un-holstering said firearm. When I dis-arm at home, I am very careful about how I do it. Sitting in a car doing it is much more dangerous. Pulling a loaded gun out at a gun show to try a holster or something is not only dangerous, it's just plain STUPEEDO !
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

71 AND COUNTING

I am a Forum User

Gun show

My practice is to add the holstered pistol on my belt when leaving and take it off when back. Hopefully no reason to unholster any time between.

I keep it holstered next to my bed except when practice shooting, then cleaning.

MHB
    Last edited by Barney556180; 08-28-2018 at 07:12 PM.

Thanks Dave. You & I have the same ideas about this subject. No loaded guns did not stop us from having a good time for a couple hours. Looking forward to hooking up with you again at the next one. And a shoot sometime in the near future.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

71 AND COUNTING

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator SteveS's Avatar
    Just a reminder that the trespassing statute doesn't require you be given a chance to leave, that is just department policy. People are free to make their own decisions, though hopefully with their eyes open and an awareness of the risks (minimal as they may be).
    Opinions and comments made by me on this forum should not be considered legal advice.

It amazes me how a simple post can suddenly take a hard turn & end up going over a cliff.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

71 AND COUNTING

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123