Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Carrying on a Quad

Hey There! Long time member, first post in awhile!

My wife-to-be and i just purchased a 2-Up (2 seater) quad. I plan on using this for hunting, trail riding, and plowing snow. I was curious as to what suggestions i could get for secure ways to carry while riding. I have a couple different holsters, depending on which firearm i want to carry that day, and they have great retention, however i usually carry on the small of my back, which would put the firearm in a very sensitive location for the Mrs.

Are there any chest rigs or maybe leg holsters, or tank bags available that are secure enough to go down bumpy trails?

I am a Forum User
    Hill people gear, kitbag

MGO Member
    Any conventional strong side holster should work. Shoulder holsters work as well as chest rigs. Do the google and you'll find a ton of them. Tank bags or fender bags would work as well.

I am a Forum User
    OC safariland ALS holster

I am a Forum User
    I personally go for a standard strong side holster to have it pointed in a reasonably safe direction and concealable. I don't like the idea of a shoulder holster and having the gun pointed back in the direction of my passenger. I know strong-side might have a little bit of possible gun pointing at a passengers leg at times, but I think it's better option than shoulder holster particularly when my belt holsters are quality Kydex. A leg holster or chest holster would be my next choice so the gun is on me, but it's not going to be very concealable that way. I guess a tank bag for a gun would be okay if you want to keep it covered up and you don't ever think you're going to need it quick. I occasionally have a gun in a backpack I carry with me on and off most days, but I always hate having to transfer from the backpack to I get it back on my belt, and it's a lot easier for somebody to end up with my gun if they snatch my pack.

I am a Forum User
    Appendix

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I am a Forum User
    any of you guys know of a molle style tank bag?

i didn't think about the under shoulder harness pointing towards the mrs. that is out. I will look into what you guys suggested! Thanks for the help!

MGO Member
    Conventional shoulder holsters point down.

Here is a military type holster with a shoulder harness. You can wear it as a chest rig or in a conventional under the shoulder position.

Here is kind of universal tanker holster that can be worn as a chest rig or under the shoulder. I carried my Redhawk in it when I went to Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
    OC safariland ALS holster
    Totally agree.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by HamSandWich View Post
    Hey There! Long time member, first post in awhile!

My wife-to-be and i just purchased a 2-Up (2 seater) quad. I plan on using this for hunting, trail riding, and plowing snow. I was curious as to what suggestions i could get for secure ways to carry while riding. I have a couple different holsters, depending on which firearm i want to carry that day, and they have great retention, however i usually carry on the small of my back, which would put the firearm in a very sensitive location for the Mrs.

Are there any chest rigs or maybe leg holsters, or tank bags available that are secure enough to go down bumpy trails?
    This won't directly answer your question but might give you thoughts on other options.

I do a LOT of rough trail off-road fast dirt bike riding, some quad riding that usually turns into semi quad racing if with friends, other motorized fairly aggressive recreational activities.

I haven't ever found the perfect way to carry a firearm on-body that I fully trust, as chest rigs flop around or hinder activities, any place on the body IWB can at times become a problem or potential problem, or potentially point at a fellow rider or passenger. Not to mention tipping over, crashing, or overshooting a turn, or missing a hidden corner.

I have tried many ways & not a one has left me totally confident on the safety of having a loaded firearm on my body in the case of a hard dismount, or jamming a stick or branch in the gun area.

My personal answer is to carry fully loaded but no round in the chamber, I seriously doubt I will be defending myself against robbers, or personal threats while riding & even if it came to that a good solid safe rugged utility holster capable of off-road retention would be slow as heck to draw so carrying with a round in the chamber is not much of an advantage.

Even in bear country (I carry a larger caliber bigger gun in those areas) I probably won't be shooting at any bears while actually riding.

Carrying with an empty chamber REALLY improves the firearm's safety no matter what direction it ends up pointing & allows carrying for comfort, retention, & safety no matter the situation.

If you dismount the vehicle in a situation that could need a quick shot or loaded chamber then just rack the slide & put one the pipe, that also puts the firearm in your hand & ready to use.

I would never carry this way in my truck or out in public as I always carry with one in the chamber, but off-road, or having the possibility of a hard dismount, it takes the worry out of where to carry, or how to carry, or what if a tree branch, clutch or brake lever, or other object finds it's way into the trigger area.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast