Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Exclamation PSA: SIG P365 steel strikes available!

Lightning Strike Products Inc sells:

The "Simple" version here for $69: https://shop.lspi.com/Steel-Striker-...-LS-7365-2.htm
    The more advanced version here for $99: https://shop.lspi.com/Steel-Striker-...ls-LS-7365.htm

Lightning Strike is owned and operated by a gun store called Bulls Eye in Georgia. I called and talked to them, the owners (who makes the strikers) said that both strikers are equal quality. The $99 one was the first one they released, but they realized they can ditch a few of the fancy cuts and make the "simple" version much faster and cheaper, and still have the same quality, for less money.

He said they got tired of customers coming in complaining that their 365's were breaking, and since they already made Glock strikers, they'd take a crack at the P365 ones.

They have sold over 1000 so far, and have had 0 issues with breaking or returns, according to the owner. They have a P365 on their rental rage with one of their strikers in it, and it's ran over 5000 rounds without a single failure so far.

It's not ideal, spending MORE money to make a factory gun run right. Even though my newer production SIG hasn't had any problems, I ordered one of these strikers to put my mind at ease.

This is a Godsend to P365 owners since SIG refuses to make steel strikers and insists on giving us crappy MIM parts.

Yay, a fix!

Banned
    Who in their right mind is going to spend 600.00 on a new gun and then have to fix it by spending another 70.00. Sig can stick it.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddio View Post
    Who in their right mind is going to spend 600.00 on a new gun and then have to fix it by spending another 70.00. Sig can stick it.
    i see the 365 at $500 or less on store shelves kind of frequently...
    but you do have a point
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddio View Post
    Well, I paid $450 for mine new so it's still not bad.

Also, P365 owners have been buying lots of the new strikers since they were released due to the fact that SIG keeps replacing broken pins with more crappy MIM. It's a solid gun design, just the firing pin is crap. If I have to spend $70 and then have a functional 10 round 9mm that's smaller than my Glock 43? I'll take it.

I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone else. EVERYONE spends $50-$100 on proper sights for their Glocks when they buy them, due to Glock refusing to give us functional ones from the factory, right? What's the difference? Buy a factory gun, drop $70 on an upgrade, carry it. It already comes with amazing sights from the factory, great trigger, front serrations, all it needs is a striker upgrade.

Yes, it sucks that SIG is slacking and refusing to correct the issue, doesn't mean I'm going to let $70 stop me from seriously upgrading my CC kit with a great little 9mm.

To be fair, it's not because it's a MIM striker, it's because it's a poorly made MIM striker for the intended application.

MIM parts are not inherently bad, if they're made right for their intended application.

Glock strikers have been MIM for a long time. Many other strikers are as well. Even my beloved HKs are known to have some MIM parts.

MIM ain't the end all be all...If it's done right.
    Last edited by Cocowheats; 08-22-2018 at 04:31 PM.

I am a Forum User
    $10 to ship the $69 striker, free shipping on the $99 striker. Almost makes it a no brainer

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HighLiner View Post
    $10 to ship the $69 striker, free shipping on the $99 striker. Almost makes it a no brainer
    Yes it does, BUY A GLOCK. LOL

I am a Forum User
    I do not want to be the party spoiler here.. I have handled a sig p365 and I loved everything about the gun, from the grip to the trigger feel to the small package. I am a big Sig fan, but I think there is a timing issue with the firing pin drag on the primer that is causing the striker pins to break. The poorly manufactured MIM pins only exacerbated the problem. The root caue is to fix the timing of the pin engagement with the primer as the case is driven out of the extractor. Replacing the pin with a steel one will definitely elongate the longevity of the striker pin compared to the MIM pin, but will it be enough, i do not know. I have seen primer marks that drags all the way to the brass case rim. Maybe a stiffer firing pin spring is also needed to retract the pin quickly back to the slide and eliminate or mitigate the dragging of the pin head and lowering some of the bending stresses. untill Sig finds a solution to the root cause, I will not buy a P365 and try to remedy the symptoms. Even though, it might be that the bending stresses at the tip of the pin could be way within the fatigue limit of the firing pin and that is a real solution to the problem. but for a carry gun, I will wait until it is proven.

I like to shoot the heck out of my carry guns and hit small steel targets at 25 yards. It is just a confidence building exercise to be able to use your carry gun as a range toy from time to time and be able to pull accurate shots like your full size favorite range gun. I would not be comfortable to know that every time i shoot this gun at the range for fun and practice that I am contributing to lessening its serviceability life for when I might need it in a real life situation. But that's me, myself and I. And this is my personal opinion, think about it.

MGO Member
    "Man Shoots Himself with Glock He Thought Was a Flashlight"

See, a P365 could never be mistaken for a flashlight ... lol.

Quote Originally Posted by JimSig View Post
    I do not want to be the party spoiler here.. I have handled a sig p365 and I loved everything about the gun, from the grip to the trigger feel to the small package. I am a big Sig fan, but I think there is a timing issue with the firing pin drag on the primer that is causing the striker pins to break. The poorly manufactured MIM pins only exacerbated the problem. The root caue is to fix the timing of the pin engagement with the primer as the case is driven out of the extractor. Replacing the pin with a steel one will definitely elongate the longevity of the striker pin compared to the MIM pin, but will it be enough, i do not know. I have seen primer marks that drags all the way to the brass case rim. Maybe a stiffer firing pin spring is also needed to retract the pin quickly back to the slide and eliminate or mitigate the dragging of the pin head and lowering some of the bending stresses. untill Sig finds a solution to the root cause, I will not buy a P365 and try to remedy the symptoms. Even though, it might be that the bending stresses at the tip of the pin could be way within the fatigue limit of the firing pin and that is a real solution to the problem. but for a carry gun, I will wait until it is proven.

I like to shoot the heck out of my carry guns and hit small steel targets at 25 yards. It is just a confidence building exercise to be able to use your carry gun as a range toy from time to time and be able to pull accurate shots like your full size favorite range gun. I would not be comfortable to know that every time i shoot this gun at the range for fun and practice that I am contributing to lessening its serviceability life for when I might need it in a real life situation. But that's me, myself and I. And this is my personal opinion, think about it.
    This. Firing pins breaking is a symptom of improper timing, it's a design flaw. Sig refuses to even acknowledge that this is an issue. Yes, a stronger firing pin will last longer - but it's a band-aid fix. They need to fix the root cause and roll out a "voluntary upgrade", since there is clearly nothing wrong with P365 and broken firing pins.

There is absolutely no way I would carry a known flawed design when there are known reliable options that only lose me 1-2 rounds of 9mm. Once they fix it will be a great carry gun.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast