Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

450 Bushmaster Ammo

There seems to be upwards of a 100g spread in 450BM factory ammo / bullets. For general deer use, I'm curious what people prefer and any advantage or disadvantage to a lighter 165g slug versus something like Hornady's 260g factory ammo.

MGO Member
    This is a thread I started earlier this year and I was trying to listen all factory available loads. Generally speaking, the lighter bullets go faster, but with a .450bm the size is what I was after. The heavier weight bullets seem to be the tried and tried choice and what I use.

https://www.migunowners.org/forum/sh...mmo&highlight=
    Last edited by Preacherboy; 08-27-2018 at 12:18 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for the link. I saw that a couple weeks ago when I was wondering around with the idea on which ammo was preferred. Im less concerned with velocity as I am with accuracy. Missing a target at the advertised book speed is still missing the target. Still seems as through real world testing is limited to only a few factory rounds, or $3 per round stuff, which shows great results, but I don't hate money.

Hornady has always treated me well, so perhaps I grab a couple boxes and churn through the brain damage myself. If I can consistantly punch holes in a drink coaster at 200yds I'd be more than happy with this one trick pony of a rifle.
    Last edited by Quads; 08-27-2018 at 03:44 PM.

I am a Forum User
    The Hornady Black stuff keyholes at 100 yards. It's still accurate at 200. If velocity isn't an issue, why would you give up the mass?

1st, I do not own a bushmaster. With this said I'd chose a bullet to use on deer in it just as I would too use on deer in my 308/708 or 6.5 Creedmore class cartridges

I'd stay with the mid weights like Hornady or Winchesters offerings simply due to the fact deer are not very heavily built and you want a bullet that opens up easily not a tougher bullet like one would want for elk or bear. The Bushmaster is a relatively slow cartridge to begin with that relies on a big hunk of lead expanding readily on hide and thin ribs yet having enough mass to carry it through the animal. Tough bullets like the Barnes or some of the 300 gr offering are designed to open slower and penetrate deep in heavy bone and muscle.

I suspect the std offerings from Hornady ect are simply bullets designed for muzzleloader or slug gun velocities and the higher speeds reached in the 450 should ensure good performance on deer out to ranges past where most hunters have the ability to reliably place it in the right place. These bullets have been around for years and if they didn't work I doubt you would see them having the popularity they have.

I have talked to a lot of bushy shooters in the last 2 years and to a one they have nothing but praise for the results they are seeing with the Hornady regular and Black box stuff. They claim excellent accuracy and drop on the spot deer when hit well. I watched 3 people sight in Ruger Americans today and every one of them were shooting Black Box, all had 1.5" or better 3 rd groups at 100yds when they left.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray