Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Winchester SXP Failing to Feed

Took my older brother shooting for the first time tonight and I brought my mum's SXP because I was worried my Saiga might jam. Well joke was on me because a little more than 50 rounds in it stopped ejecting rounds from the magazine when you pump the handguard back. If I seat the pump forward into battery and mortar it the shells will pop out one by one but won't strip out when I pump it. Any ideas?

I am a Forum User
    First, you need inert cartridges to safely evaluate your SXP feeding problem. Live cartridges are an invitation to an unintended discharge.

While you are waiting for inert cartridges to arrive, do a little cleaning. Corrosion within the magazine tube is the most common cause of feeding issues in tube fed firearms. Corrosion which builds up can bind the magazine follower and cartridges are not presented to the feed mechanism with sufficient force to function.

Strip the firearm and carefully disassemble the magazine. Carefully, because the magazine spring wants to jump out. This can do real damage and fling parts into the ether. Then wipe out the magazine tube using a tight fitting patch on a 10 gauge jag soaked in light oil. Do the patches come out brown?

I cleaned out the mag tube, no rust.

I am a Forum User
    The next step is to determine whether magazine spring force or disconnector function play a role in your feeding problem. With the safety engaged:

1) Insert a single dummy (inert) shell into the magazine and attempt to feed it using the slide release (disconnector) to unlock the action.
    2) Fill the magazine to capacity with dummy shells and attempt to feed them, again using the slide release.

Do the dummy shells feed properly?

Then, with the safety disengaged:

1) Insert a single dummy shell into the magazine and attempt to feed it, using a trigger pull to unlock the action.
    2) Fill the magazine to capacity with dummy shells and attempt to feed them using trigger pulls.

Do the dummy shells feed? Using the trigger to unlock the action in the second set of tests is why you absolutely must use dummy (inert) shells. They should match the weight of live shells for this test to provide useful information, but you don't want the shotgun to discharge because this could affect the test outcome.

Next you want to check the function of the shell stop. Fill the magazine to capacity with dummy shells and turn the shotgun upside down. Safety engagement not an issue in this test. Push the shell stop inward to release a shell from the magazine. Then repeat again and again until the magazine is empty. Do the shells release?

The shell stop can also be used to unload the magazine should the shotgun fail to feed in the first set of tests.

The shell stop is illustrated in Figure 10, on page 19, of the Winchester SXP Owners' Manual. It is a hooked sheet steel bar located inside the receiver left wall which is accessed by depressing the shell lifter when the shotgun is upside down.

Once you have completed these tests, we can narrow your problem down to its probable cause(s).
    Last edited by 10x25mm; 09-01-2018 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Link to the Winchester SXP Owners' Manual

Pushing the shell stop works, pulling the trigger does not.

I am a Forum User
    Did it feed when you used the slide release (disconnector) to unlock the action? This is important.

The shell came out and got ejected when i pumped it. With the slide release and the trigger I could pump forever and the shell would never leave the tube.

I am a Forum User
    Do you feel comfortable field stripping your SXP according to the instructions which begin on page 27 of the Winchester SXP Owners' Manual? The shotgun's trigger group must be removed to go further.

One or both shell stops are not being properly actuated by the cam tracks on the underside of the 'Slide Arm Extension' (the two sheet metal struts which extend to the rear from the pump handle). This could be due to damage to those cam tracks and/or the shell stops, or possibly some kind of past misassembly.

The shell stops are riveted to side plates which are screwed to each side of trigger guard. Winchester calls these side plates 'Slide Arm Support Assemblies, Left/Right'. The shell stops have followers (little tabs) on their top (away from the bottom loading port) which interact with (follow) the cam tracks on the 'Slide Arm Extension'. It is most likely that one or both of those shell stop followers have become damaged, but you cannot see this until you remove the trigger group from the gun. It is also possible that one of the attachment rivets has loosened.

The shell stops gate the 'Magazine Throat', an aperture at the rear of the magazine tube, inside the receiver. There is a very small possibility that the 'Magazine Throat' is damaged or broken, but this is uncommon. A broken 'Magazine Throat' would allow the base of the cartridges to move with the shell stop, preventing the shell stop from stepping around the cartridge rim. You won't be able to fully inspect the condition of the 'Magazine Throat' unless you can remove the trigger group. The front of the trigger group butts up against the 'Magazine Throat'.

Winchester will sell you replacement 'Slide Arm Support Assemblies' and the 'Slide Arm Extension', but not the 'Magazine Throat'. The 'Slide Arm Support Assemblies' are easy to replace, but the 'Slide Arm Extension' less so. A special wrench is needed to tighten the 'Slide Arm Extension Cap' on the front of pump handle to secure the 'Slide Arm Extension'. Only gunsmiths can purchase the 'Magazine Throat' from Winchester due to the difficulty in replacing it.

I have it stripped now. I'm going to call Winchester tomorrow since they got back to me after I sent them a terse email over their apparent build quality.

Calling Winchester didn't happen today, too busy trying to get to Top Gun to shoot and order my Stoeger. Are there any parts I should take pictures of and post up here to get help diagnosing the issue? I want to keep my options open in case Winchester plans to give me the song and dance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast