Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I can't post links yet! Forum User

1911 What to get?

I've got a desire to buy a 1911 in .45 acp, the problem is obviously my choices! There are so many manufacturers out there I don't know what the best bang for my buck is! I'm looking to spend around $1000. I really like the looks of the Kimber Custom Hero, but my issue is I shoot lefty so I need a ambidextrous thumb safety, and the Hero does not come with it! Just thought I'd run it buy you guys, for a good suggestion as to whats out there!

If you like the Kimber get it, you can put the ambi safety on it. I have had three now, all have been great with no troubles. I started with a Remington R1 enhanced, all the great features and a little less than you want to spend. Super value.
    Then I went with a Kimber compact carry, 4 inch barrel with a light frame, great 1911 again, no troubles and less than you want to spend.
    Now I have a Dan Wesson Valor vbob, by far the nicest one I've owned, fit and finish rivals the 3k customs out there, imho, but it's a little more than you want to spend. So nice though.
    Jump in, buy what you like. I have never had a bad experience, buy good magazines and go shooting!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by limechallenger View Post
    I've got a desire to buy a 1911 in .45 acp, the problem is obviously my choices! There are so many manufacturers out there I don't know what the best bang for my buck is! I'm looking to spend around $1000. I really like the looks of the Kimber Custom Hero, but my issue is I shoot lefty so I need a ambidextrous thumb safety, and the Hero does not come with it! Just thought I'd run it buy you guys, for a good suggestion as to whats out there!
    I own a Kimber Gold Match II, comes stock with an ambi safety, I've never had any major issues with it. I think I paid right around $1000 new for it, although for that much, I was somewhat disappointed in the lack of fiber optic sights and the plastic mainspring housing, I ended up replacing both of these (although it does have a full length guide rod). I'm pretty sure the Springfield Loaded and EMP models also all come with an ambi safety, which are also solid guns. If you're set on the Kimber Custom Hero though, you could always pick it up and have someone install/fit an ambi safety, it's not an incredibly complicated process for someone who knows what they're doing.

MGO Member
    Springfield Loaded/Springfield Range Officer.

under $1000 and overloaded with good upgrades

I am a Forum User
    There are technical differences between otherwise similar 1911's which affect their trigger 'feel'. Springfield uses a small diameter, titanium firing pin to pass drop tests in most of their 1911's, while most other manufacturers use a Series 80 style firing pin block. Some 1911 match pistols use a Gold Cup style auxiliary sear spring and depressor to permit lighter trigger pulls without doubling.

MGO Member
    In that price range a Colt that you look over well or a used Dan Wesson if you can find it. My third option and once again your price, is a Springfield trp. You might could find a used one within your budget.

Get a dw though if you can.
    Last edited by Preacherboy; 08-30-2018 at 04:05 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Mostly good advice here.. I'd agree that finding a used Dan Wesson would be your best bet..
    following that a Springfield Armory (variety of models, the Loaded is nice with
    lots of features, & the Loaded target has an adj. rear site.(if that's a feature you like.
    A TRP (might be tough to find one for $1K) is good too, as are the Range Officers,
    esp. since you can get them in SS, rather than just parkerized.
    I'll add anew one for consideration as well, find one & it'll be worth the search..
    STI makes an entry level 1911 w/ Armscorp made frame & slide, that's a bargain..
    their higher level guns are great, but out of your price range.

I'll make a final suggestion for you to consider.. try a 1911 in 9mm first.
    Ammo cost is less, so you can shoot it more. Same great feel, & ability to accessorize.
    Milder recoil. Took me about 25 yrs. to try one, & wish I'd tried one sooner.
    Haven't sold any of my 45's, but now have several 9mm 1911's, which I shoot more,
    even though I hand load..

Quote Originally Posted by joepistol View Post
    Mostly good advice here.. I'd agree that finding a used Dan Wesson would be your best bet..
    following that a Springfield Armory (variety of models, the Loaded is nice with
    lots of features, & the Loaded target has an adj. rear site.(if that's a feature you like.
    A TRP (might be tough to find one for $1K) is good too, as are the Range Officers,
    esp. since you can get them in SS, rather than just parkerized.
    I'll add anew one for consideration as well, find one & it'll be worth the search..
    STI makes an entry level 1911 w/ Armscorp made frame & slide, that's a bargain..
    their higher level guns are great, but out of your price range.

I'll make a final suggestion for you to consider.. try a 1911 in 9mm first.
    Ammo cost is less, so you can shoot it more. Same great feel, & ability to accessorize.
    Milder recoil. Took me about 25 yrs. to try one, & wish I'd tried one sooner.
    Haven't sold any of my 45's, but now have several 9mm 1911's, which I shoot more,
    even though I hand load..
    Darn, you got me looking at an STI Hex Tac in 9mm now....

I was going to suggest looking for a used Dan Wesson as well. It'll be extremely hard to beat what you get in a Dan Wesson for the money.

A Springfield Range Officer would make a good base gun, as suggested. The slide to frame fit isn't the tightest, but the rest of the parts tend to be pretty tight allowing some hand massaging to get a smoother feel throughout the gun. Triggers can be hit and miss, but again its a mass production gun. A bit of fitting will go a long way. I am currently customizing a Range Officer Operator in 9mm. It's going to be a buttery smooth gun when I am done, despite some slop in the frame to slide fit(mostly side to side, not up and down). Fun project.

Believe it or not, Rock Island 1911s have been some of the most consistently tighter fit frame to slides I've handled in the mass produced 1911s. A nice tight RIA 1911 would make a great gun to build off on a budget.

If you can afford to, go Dan Wesson, be it new or used. You'll save yourself the time you would have spent smoothing the gun out.

1911s are pretty simple. Nothing wrong with buying a Springfield, Ruger, RIA, etc., and doing some fitting and upgrading. Nothing like a fun project and the completion of it can be quite rewarding as well.
    Last edited by Cocowheats; 08-29-2018 at 02:25 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Excellent question! I have a feeling we will see lots of good suggestions as I am seeking my first 1911 as well. I have been ogling the Springfield TRP w/RMR in 10mm. I know expensive right, but it sure is pretty!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast