Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocowheats View Post
    I was going to suggest looking for a used Dan Wesson as well. It'll be extremely hard to beat what you get in a Dan Wesson for the money.

A Springfield Range Officer would make a good base gun, as suggested. The slide to frame fit isn't the tightest, but the rest of the parts tend to be pretty tight allowing some hand massaging to get a smoother feel throughout the gun. Triggers can be hit and miss, but again its a mass production gun. A bit of fitting will go a long way. I am currently customizing a Range Officer Operator in 9mm. It's going to be a buttery smooth gun when I am done, despite some slop in the frame to slide fit(mostly side to side, not up and down). Fun project.

Believe it or not, Rock Island 1911s have been some of the most consistently tighter fit frame to slides I've handled in the mass produced 1911s. A nice tight RIA 1911 would make a great gun to build off on a budget.

If you can afford to, go Dan Wesson, be it new or used. You'll save yourself the time you would have spent smoothing the gun out.

1911s are pretty simple. Nothing wrong with buying a Springfield, Ruger, RIA, etc., and doing some fitting and upgrading. Nothing like a fun project and the completion of it can be quite rewarding as well.
    I agree on the RIA's. The slide-to-frame fit on my RIA .45 FS 1911 and my RIA 22TCM/9mm FS 1911 is as good as my S&W 1911 SC-e at twice the price and almost as good as my Dan Wesson Valkyrie 9mm at 3 times the price. As far as value, you can't beat Rock Island 1911's in my opinion.

MGO Member
    Williams has a couple series 70 used Colt Gold Cups in that price range. If you're looking for the name.

MGO Member
    Very happy with my Springfield Loaded.

I will put in my usual plug for the Desert Eagle 1911 from Magnum Research.

$665 from Buds, it is probably the most satisfying handgun I have ever bought at any price. Shoots great, looks great, excellent trigger, excellent build quality. No "break in" issues....

It does not have a bunch of tactical features on it, so if you want a threaded barrel, or a bunch of Picatiny rails on it, it may not be for you. It is my EDC when I am in the field or hunting. I carry it in cooler weather as my EDC too. Obviously its not the best for warm weather clothing, but that's the case for any full size 1911. I personally don't know why people spend more on 1911's except for name brand snobbery or the tactical features. I personally don't have any need for those, so this fits me just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post

$665 from Buds, it is probably the most satisfying handgun I have ever bought at any price. Shoots great, looks great, excellent trigger, excellent build quality. No "break in" issues....

It does not have a bunch of tactical features on it, so if you want a threaded barrel, or a bunch of Picatiny rails on it, it may not be for you. It is my EDC when I am in the field or hunting. I carry it in cooler weather as my EDC too. Obviously its not the best for warm weather clothing, but that's the case for any full size 1911. I personally don't know why people spend more on 1911's except for name brand snobbery or the tactical features. I personally don't have any need for those, so this fits me just fine.

Does magnum make em or farm em out ?

I thought they used to sub them out, maybe to STI back in the day ?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post

+1 for these. They're made by BUL Transmark in Israel, who has a pretty good reputation. BUL 1911s were very popular when I was in Canada. The only thing I don't like about the MR 1911s is how huge and obnoxious their rollmark is. Also the assertion that the 1911 had to "earn" the name Desert Eagle is pretty insulting, but meh, their entire company revolves around that brand.

I agree with earlier posters that if you can afford a Dan Wesson, get one. They are absolutely the finest production 1911s available. They have a new "budget friendly" Vigil line that starts at $1100-$1200 street price, but they're aluminum-framed only. They also have the stainless RZ-45 that's around the same price range if a few dollars higher. Or you could shop around for a used one.

I’ll throw out another great 1911 right out of the box, Sig Sauer Nightmare Carry. They make them in full size(5”) and Commander(4.25”). I love mine.

I had a Ruger SR1911(5”) that was an excellent shooter and it is very cost effective.

On the list of pistols that I wish I still had is a S&W E series SW1911sc Commander. The scadium frame makes them much more ‘carry’ friendly! You do pay for it with the recoil but it is definitely worth it!

Personally, I can’t stand Colt Series 80. The MIM trigger just doesn’t ‘feel’ right to me. Anything ‘Gold Cup’ or Series 70 are awesome pistols!

Just like finding a carry holster, it’s a process of trial and error to find what YOU like. Good luck and happy hunting!

I am a Forum User
    I also like Dan Wesson for a 1911 if you can get one in your price range. They're not too far above it.

I wouldn't go too nuts on your first 1911. Honestly, you won't really know what you want out of it until you shoot it awhile and really figure out what helps you. If this is for a carry gun, just get the most you can afford without a lot of fancy widgets on it, thus why a lot of folks name the Dan Wessons. Probably avoid Sig 1911s. They work fine, but it's harder to find holsters, though it is getting a bit easier.

RIA might be a good starter 1911. I've heard good things, overall, and you can shoot it and replace bits with cheap options to give them a try. Once you really find your good place, buy your dream gun and be done with it.

One suggestion: skip the various huge extended safeties. They just get caught on stuff and are more likely to get flicked off at the wrong times. YMMV, but just what I've personally found.

I am a Forum User
    Bob Serva, now the owner of Fusion Firearms, started 1911 production at Dan Wesson and is responsible for their high level of performance. Sometimes you can find a Fusion Firearms 1911 used at a reasonable price; competitive with the Dan Wesson 1911 prices.

I am a Forum User
    I have pretty good knowledge of the 1911 platform. I currently own a couple Baers, a Wilson, and a Ed Brown. If I was spending $1000 on a 1911, I would save a couple hundred more and get a Springfield TRP. Its everything you need in a 1911 if you are not gonna go the semi custom/full custom route.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast