Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Suppressed single shot rifle for down state?

I hunt down state occasionally and have been thinking about an encore or handi rifle to thread for a 45ish caliber gun to play with suppressed and also hunt the shotgun zone. I have been watching the 450 bushmaster market, but, I'm not a huge fan of the round per se. I Think I might get a little flatter trajectory out of something like a 45-70 with a pointy 300 grain TSX, plus I could load heavy stuff for sub fun. Not to mention, I like things that are on the fringe, out of the mainstream I guess. I plan to run the can with an anchor brake for hunting, but no intention of subsonic hunting, just slight db reduction. I have a Silencerco Hybrid already, so max bullet diameter of 45, essentially. I really like the solid copper bullets offered by barnes, so I am kinda planning my hunting round based on those. Maybe a 45-70 with brass trimmed to 1.8 to make it legal. Or possibly a S&W 460 rifle. Anyone have experience in this arena? I hand load so I am not limited by factory loads.

I know most will not see the point in this endeavor, but it seems like a fun useful project for me. Encore might be a good platform because the single shot action is very quiet suppressed. Also lots of barrel options to suppress other calibers later.

I am a Forum User
    A bolt gun will give you the same effect of max suppression but a little quicker reload for follow ups. I have a Ruger American in 450bm that I hunt with suppressed. Really helps to get the noise away from your ears and helps with muzzle flip. The added length can make it a little harder to move around in a blind though.

Will cut down 45-70 still feed in a bolt or lever gun? Or is it a single shot proposition?

Like Knockoff said, The Ruger Americans are nice in 450BM, I know you dont like that caliber, but maybe something similar in a different caliber?

I have the Ruger in stock if you want to look at one.

Used my shortened/threaded 77/357 for a couple years now.
    super heavy 245gr subsonic PCCB handloads work great in it.
    Dropped this doe @60yds.

I also have a Hybrid and several others. Maybe a 44mag 45 colt or Casull in an Encore would suit your goal?
    I have an Encore pistol in 243, used that with my AAC SDN6 on a doe and an 8pt on consecutive days in 2016.
    Prefer subsonic hunting to super but go for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "The path to true knowledge is paved with wasted money" copyright postban forever!
    NRA Endowment Member, 2AF Life Member, GOA Patriot Member

Might look into the 458x1.5 since you reload.

The cartridge has been around awhile and chambered in both lever and bolt guns. Load data is also avialable
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by postban View Post
    Used my shortened/threaded 77/357 for a couple years now.
    super heavy 245gr subsonic PCCB handloads work great in it.
    Dropped this doe @60yds.
    I'd say that worked!

If you're wanting something faster than the 450BM look at the 45 raptor or 45 velociraptor (same thing just slightly lower PSI for AR15 use using a 22-250 bolt/extension. I use a Hybrid suppressor and supersonic wildcat loads for deer hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
    I hunt down state occasionally and have been thinking about an encore or handi rifle to thread for a 45ish caliber gun to play with suppressed and also hunt the shotgun zone. I have been watching the 450 bushmaster market, but, I'm not a huge fan of the round per se. I Think I might get a little flatter trajectory out of something like a 45-70 with a pointy 300 grain TSX, plus I could load heavy stuff for sub fun.
    I do not have one yet, sorta waiting for a stainless one to show up from ruger or savage.

But the thing is, unless you hunt more than 200 yard distances, you will never miss out on anything. Its great out to 200, and still good at 300.

200 its great though, all you need for hunting.

Everywhere I hunt is less than 200, so its basically the perfect all around hunting gun to let me hunt anywhere in the state.

Quote Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
    Not to mention, I like things that are on the fringe, out of the mainstream I guess. I plan to run the can with an anchor brake for hunting, but no intention of subsonic hunting, just slight db reduction. I have a Silencerco Hybrid already, so max bullet diameter of 45, essentially. I really like the solid copper bullets offered by barnes, so I am kinda planning my hunting round based on those. Maybe a 45-70 with brass trimmed to 1.8 to make it legal. Or possibly a S&W 460 rifle. Anyone have experience in this arena? I hand load so I am not limited by factory loads.

I know most will not see the point in this endeavor, but it seems like a fun useful project for me. Encore might be a good platform because the single shot action is very quiet suppressed. Also lots of barrel options to suppress other calibers later.
    Sounds like you just like to be nonconformist, or a contrarian.

If you can get mainstram a bit, and it is for hunting, and you can only have 1 rifle, then it should be 450.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockoff64 View Post
    A bolt gun will give you the same effect of max suppression but a little quicker reload for follow ups. I have a Ruger American in 450bm that I hunt with suppressed. Really helps to get the noise away from your ears and helps with muzzle flip. The added length can make it a little harder to move around in a blind though.

Will cut down 45-70 still feed in a bolt or lever gun? Or is it a single shot proposition?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coctailer View Post
    Like Knockoff said, The Ruger Americans are nice in 450BM, I know you dont like that caliber, but maybe something similar in a different caliber?

I have the Ruger in stock if you want to look at one.
    I work at a gun counter with a good selection of guns. I've had my hands on the Ruger 450 scout, Number 1, and the American. Also the Savage scout and Wolverine. As well as the CVA 450. The only one that I really liked was the Ruger No. 1. I can't justify the cost of that one. I think that the 450 BM doesn't have the bullet selection that the 458 bores do, that is a big consideration to me.

Also, it will feed fine in a lever after trimming since you still maintain the original overall length. Your bullet just doesn't go as deep into the case, which isn't a problem since the bullets still seat plenty deep to keep neck tension and alignment.
    Last edited by steve77; 08-31-2018 at 08:12 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    I do not have one yet, sorta waiting for a stainless one to show up from ruger or savage.

But the thing is, unless you hunt more than 200 yard distances, you will never miss out on anything. Its great out to 200, and still good at 300.

200 its great though, all you need for hunting.

Everywhere I hunt is less than 200, so its basically the perfect all around hunting gun to let me hunt anywhere in the state.

Sounds like you just like to be nonconformist, or a contrarian.

If you can get mainstram a bit, and it is for hunting, and you can only have 1 rifle, then it should be 450.
    You can get the Ruger Number 1 in Stainless, but it is pricey. The one I sold at the shop I work at last year was either $1400 or $1600 if I remember correctly, but it was NICE!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast