Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Member

Legal suggestions for holding a small, public gun show?

Privately owned banquet hall, legal carry welcomed.

Would encourage private individuals to rent maybe 2 tables maximum.

Normal Sat. & Sun. dates.

I am interested in what legal aspects need to be addressed. The hall owners say they don't have a problem with using their property for a gun show.

Thank you,
    John

Gun shows are legal. You need to worry about liability, though.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by luckless View Post
    Gun shows are legal. You need to worry about liability, though.
    That is one of the things I am asking about. Can you explain why I need to worry about liability? Do I need to read the hall contract closely?
    Would a gun show be more dangerous, than drunks on a dance floor?

I am trying to look at all angles of this.

MGO LIFE Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john.41 View Post
    That is one of the things I am asking about. Can you explain why I need to worry about liability? Do I need to read the hall contract closely?

I would not worry excessively about likelihood of firearm owners, but liability insurance might be advisable for other reasons, my wife and I have considered several business ideas that fall flat for a lot of different reasons but one of the scarier ones are a liability suit pulling the rug out from under us. Liability insurance is not JUST for negligent discharges of patrons, but anything anyone could try to say you were negligent in from coffee that is too hot to someone tripping on a door mat, to not having medical staff on site, the list goes on and on. However the venue will push all liability for anything not directly and immediately related to the building itself onto the renter.

MGO Member
    Looks like the NRA offers "gun show" insurance:

You can get Gun Show Insurance protection for as little as $300 per show.

Let's see...@$5 a head, you need 60 attendees to cover the insurance. I don't think $20 a table would cover 2 days rental....I guess you would need some profitable refreshment and food sales to break even.

Gun shows are not money makers, you do it 'cause you like guns I guess.

There is the chance you would downsize some of the accumulation that just sits around and find something you have been looking for. As cheap as ammo is online...you would almost have to give it away.

What if you called it a "Flea Market" I have seen guns for sale at some of them I went to in the past.....
    Join MGO Date 07-25-2007
    AMAC Member

MGO Member
    How about Hold Harmless (Indemnity) Agreement to enter the show would that help?

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JLHOG View Post
    What if you called it a "Flea Market" I have seen guns for sale at some of them I went to in the past.....
    Flea market type goods don't belong in gun shows, that is part of the rub. Knives are cool...but not the Chinese and Pakistan import junk.

I thought maybe it might be a legal loophole. LOL There is flea market junk at every gun show anyways. That's the second reason I stopped attending the local shows.
    Join MGO Date 07-25-2007
    AMAC Member

Quote Originally Posted by john.41 View Post

You might want to form an LLC and the venue will likely want to be listed on your liability insurance. Let's say a vendor breaks a chair, causing him to fall and injure himself and/or an attendee? I would want something to protect my assets. We went to a local agent who provided good insurance that was cheaper than the NRA's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast