Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

First time out with my son

Hey guys was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks that actually work to lure in deer. It's my sons first year out with me and I'd like to do anything possible to help he get a chance. Scent killers, attract ants, baits anything you can think of. We will be hunting in sanilac county. Thanks in advance

Spend a little time in the area that you intend to hunt. Learn as much as you can about the habits of the deer in that area. Where do they feed, where do they bed down, etc.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    Spend a little time in the area that you intend to hunt. Learn as much as you can about the habits of the deer in that area. Where do they feed, where do they bed down, etc.
    Yup, scouting and deer habit is key. Find established trails stay far enough off them as to not impede their natural actions. I've never been agreeable to baiting but it works. Above all teach the art of being quite and restriction of body movement.

I was a very successful hunter. I never baited. Spend time as others have said in the woods.

Tracking was my favorite time. Know your hunting area. Get a good topical map. Teach your son the right way instead of feeding the animals like in the zoo and shooting them.

Teach him safety above all else. 50 years of hunting with family and friends we never had any mishaps.

I do miss the special bonding with my hunting friends we had.

Remember it's the hunt that's important not the kill.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

Use a blind of some sort as it's hard for most kids to sit still. They also have a knack to start moving at the worst time. Scout ahead of time. By far the best success I've had is by seeing where the deer already want to go and set up along their route somewhere. Set up a stand to observe an area to see where/when the deer are moving. Then you can set up in an area you'll likely get a deer. Of course the same thing can be done with trail cameras these days, but it takes a bunch of them to cover the same area. Take snacks repack if the wrappers are noisy and drinks with a screw cap. Bait can work depending on where you're at. We hunt big corn fields with plenty of food, cover and water so bait is less of an attractant. We do put out a mineral block, but it takes a few weeks for them to take notice of it and even then it's hit or miss but it is something to keep them interested in the area. The mock scrape drippers do work, but it might be bringing in a little guy trying to claim a spot.

You've been given good advise already, so I'll give you the last bit that no one mentioned.

As far as seeing Deer, what works best for me is to lean my gun against a tree and take a few steps away to pee on a bush.

Works every time. lol

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by tenthumbs View Post
    You've been given good advise already, so I'll give you the last bit that no one mentioned.

As far as seeing Deer, what works best for me is to lean my gun against a tree and take a few steps away to pee on a bush.

Works every time. lol
    Haha. That is exactly what you already expect before you decide to go pee!!! But nature calls and then nature spanks your ass for slipping! I remember my dad telling me stories of the ones that got away, and the story of my uncle forgetting to take the safety off on a 14 pt monster swamp buck, he had the fever so bad he literally started yelling"bang" "bang" when his rifle didn't fire! Haha. Deer ran off and he hung his head the entire night when we all had dinner at my grandparents house. Funniest thing I've ever heard.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by Denisha90 View Post
    Oh I remember my first time and I was terrified..I was afraid of everything: blood, snakes, to be soaked to the bone. But on the other hand I was curious how it'd be. I took a notebook with myself and I wanted to note everything in my first day but happened to be rain and my jotter was wet. I was upset about this and decided to find anything another and found waterproof notebook
.BTW I was girl! And my mother didn't want me to hunt but now she is okay and I'm kind of professional So long time ago
    All of those are reasons I would never be able to take MrsScaryGuy hunting, if I decided to hunt. She can't even stomach seeing my pellet rifle pop the squirrels that are wrecking up her tomatoes. Wet and cold? forget about it. Sitting still and NOT talking? not gonna happen.
    I'm content to sit in the rain and stare at a wall, but that's not her idea of a good day.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

MGO Board of Directors

Before my kids were old enough to go with me, a friend was talking about taking his young daughter ice fishing.

They drove 35 minutes to the lake. He lugged the portable shanty out onto the lake with her on it. He cleared the snow, drilled the holes, baited the hooks and commenced to fishing. Quite an endeavor.

About 30 minutes into the fishing, his daughter asked about being done. She was cold and maybe a bit bored.
    He smiled and asked if they should pack it all up and head on in. And that's what they did. A couple hours of prep work for 30 minutes of fishing.

At the time, I said "I would have told her that we need to stay out at least another half hour in case the fish start biting," but he was quick to point out that the girl still had fun and would eagerly go again next time instead of dreading it and remembering bad thoughts.

Fast forward to my 82 year old father in law telling me about him having to operate the smoking, belching, gassy outboard every time his Dad wanted to go trolling for pike. "He would catch the fish. I would net them. In between fish, I had to breath that nasty cloud of fumes that the motor coughed up. It was a bad experience and I have not fished a single day since I was a kid. No thanks, it's just not something I want to do."

Moral of the story - no matter how much prep time you have put in, no matter how many deer will be in your spot in just a few minutes, no matter what the reason he/she has - if they are not enjoying themselves, they will not be eager to go again. Keep it fun.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.