Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by JimSig View Post
    Thanks, that's very helpful.. I think I will keep this info handy, so I will be looking at 7.5 in barrels to make sure I am under 26" with regular flash hiders.
    the flash hider is not permanently attached and does not contribute to the OAL.
    Depending on the length of your pistol buffer tube, you shouldn't have any problems going up to 10.5" and staying under 26". If you want to be extra cautious and keep barrel/hider under 26", you should still be able to fit an 9" or so barrel with a standard flash hider.
    I'm honestly amazed that a length calculator has not been put into some webpage, it's such a common discussion.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by hendo View Post
    From what I've seen 300BLK ammo is more expensive to buy and reload for. IMO
    i'm looking to go with the 10.5 myself.
    About twice as expensive, yes.
    but if you're limiting a home defense gun to 10.5" barrel length, you're most likely using either a 55gr 5.56 at ~2300fps, or a 125gr 300 at 2200fps
    It kind of depends on what your priorities are.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks, that's very helpful.. I think I will keep this info handy, so I will be looking at 7.5 in barrels to make sure I am under 26" with regular flash hiders.
    As the good DrScaryGuy pointed out, the flash hider or whatever muzzle device you choose is not counted in the OAL measurement. However, I personally do not want to rely on a government official knowing that, so I prefer a shorter than normal muzzle device. Brownells has a (house brand) mini brake for around $30 that absolutely will keep a 10.5" upper under 26" oal with a complete psa shockwave pistol lower. (Since you are looking at PSA)

I really would recommend going 10.5" for a 556 build. The external ballistics of the round suffer greatly from short barrels. 7-8" barrels are obnoxiously loud to me. 10.5" with the above mentioned mini brake is not too bad as far as muzzle blast goes and there is a bump in ballistics vs the shorter lengths.
    Last edited by sadaddy; 09-04-2018 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sadaddy View Post
    As the good DrScaryGuy pointed out, the flash hider or whatever muzzle device you choose is not counted in the OAL measurement. However, I personally do not want to rely on a government official knowing that, so I prefer a shorter than normal muzzle device. Brownells has a (house brand) mini brake for around $30 that absolutely will keep a 10.5" upper under 26" oal with a complete psa shockwave pistol lower. (Since you are looking at PSA)

I really would recommend going 10.5" for a 556 build. The external ballistics of the round suffer greatly from short barrels.
    7-8" barrels are obnoxiously loud to me. 10.5" with the above mentioned mini brake is not too bad as far as muzzle blast goes and there is a bump in ballistics vs the shorter lengths.
    Enough so that SA came up with this thing.... Shooting with just ear plugs was not bad at all.
    Active airport shooter

Owned many AR pistols, list of them

11" 5.56 [1994 during ban, bare muzzle, obnoxious fireballs and concussion] sold
    10.5" 5.45x39 sold
    10.5" 6.5 Grendel sold
    10.5" 9mm sold

Currently have
    8" 300AAC BLK
    12.5" 6.5 Grendel
    10.5" 5.56
    4" 9mm
    7" 7.62x39

The 12.5" 6.5G is my "long range" pistol. Had it up at my cabin out to 300yds on steel, also shoots well with the cheap Wolf steel ammo.
    My build with a Ballistics Advantage Hanson bbl, sub moa with handloads 123gr Norma and Hornady Black.

10.5" 5.56 is set up as a grab-n-go truck gun with an SDN6 Suppressor. Upper From PSA

The 4"9mm is setup for subsonics with the rail covering the can. My build again. Back yard play thing for steel ringing.

The 7" 7.62x39 is the hardest kicker of the bunch but it also the most accurate weapon I have ever had in that caliber [AK's/SKS's/DRACO/AR] which shocked me.
    Clover leafs at 50yds suppressed with a 2moa dot and Wolf steel ammo. Also upper From PSA

300BLK is setup to run supers or subs suppressed. I reload for all the ones I have except 7.62x39

My current ones are all at minimum [my experience] recommended bbl lengths.
    You lose a lot of energy going from 10.5 to 7" on a 5.56, also big increase in concussion and huge fireballs.
    Check out the BBL Length vs Velocity chart at this link Approx 400fps loss
    It also changes from Carbine to pistol length gas tube which can effect reliability in that caliber. 300BLK was designed for pistol gas.

I would never suggest a unsuppressed AR pistol for HD so unless you have a can or two, keep running them SIGs or copy one of my setups.
    They are all mandatory eyes/ears rigs, not meant for bump in the night response.

I use a suppressed M4/dot/light for HD
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The path to true knowledge is paved with wasted money" copyright postban forever!
    NRA Endowment Member, 2AF Life Member, GOA Patriot Member

MGO Member
    Can anyone show or tell me the details of their 5.56 AR pistol, with 10.5in barrel, and fully legally carried in a michigan vehicle with cpl. Nothing I see looking at complete pistols or kits tells me what I need to know to make that happen.
    Last edited by hendo; 09-05-2018 at 09:01 PM.
    Washtenaw Sportsman's Club member
    NRA Certified RSO (Thanks MGO)
    NRA Member

I am a Forum User
    Thanks all for contributing to this thread and answering my questions and for the extra tips directing me on what to know, avoid, expect in an AR pistol.

I made up my mind and decided to build an 8.5 " pistol in 556. I just like the Short barrel for the look of it and to be 100% sure that the build is under 26 in.. This is my first AR pistol build and it will be a learning fun project.

Also looks like it is not going to be a good idea for HD for the concussion and fireball, I might experiment with close quarter flash hiders devices but it will still be loud I guess.. If it turns out to be accurate to hit a 12 in plate a 100 yard max I will be a happy camper. Expected velocities are reported in the 2300 to 2600 range out of an 8.5 in for a variety of ammo. I for sure do not want to be standing in front of it at any speed and at any yardage LOL..

I will take my time to dress it up with a sling, flip sights and a red dot. It will be a budget build, nothing fancy.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by postban View Post
    Owned many AR pistols, list of them

11" 5.56 [1994 during ban, bare muzzle, obnoxious fireballs and concussion] sold
    10.5" 5.45x39 sold
    10.5" 6.5 Grendel sold
    10.5" 9mm sold

Currently have
    8" 300AAC BLK
    12.5" 6.5 Grendel
    10.5" 5.56
    4" 9mm
    7" 7.62x39

The 12.5" 6.5G is my "long range" pistol. Had it up at my cabin out to 300yds on steel, also shoots well with the cheap Wolf steel ammo.
    My build with a Ballistics Advantage Hanson bbl, sub moa with handloads 123gr Norma and Hornady Black.

10.5" 5.56 is set up as a grab-n-go truck gun with an SDN6 Suppressor. Upper From PSA

The 4"9mm is setup for subsonics with the rail covering the can. My build again. Back yard play thing for steel ringing.

The 7" 7.62x39 is the hardest kicker of the bunch but it also the most accurate weapon I have ever had in that caliber [AK's/SKS's/DRACO/AR] which shocked me.
    Clover leafs at 50yds suppressed with a 2moa dot and Wolf steel ammo. Also upper From PSA

300BLK is setup to run supers or subs suppressed. I reload for all the ones I have except 7.62x39

My current ones are all at minimum [my experience] recommended bbl lengths.
    You lose a lot of energy going from 10.5 to 7" on a 5.56, also big increase in concussion and huge fireballs.
    Check out the BBL Length vs Velocity chart at this link Approx 400fps loss
    It also changes from Carbine to pistol length gas tube which can effect reliability in that caliber. 300BLK was designed for pistol gas.

I would never suggest a unsuppressed AR pistol for HD so unless you have a can or two, keep running them SIGs or copy one of my setups.
    They are all mandatory eyes/ears rigs, not meant for bump in the night response.

I use a suppressed M4/dot/light for HD
    Nice pistol collection.. That 9mm pistol is on my next list..

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JDG View Post
    Enough so that SA came up with this thing.... Shooting with just ear plugs was not bad at all.
    JD, is that a close quarter flash hider, may I ask what brand is it.. Thanks.

JD, is that a close quarter flash hider, may I ask what brand is it.. Thanks.
    More of a blast director, it comes factory on the Springfield Armory Saint pistol. My reloads had very little if any flash, but the wolf that I shot sure did!!
    Active airport shooter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast