Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

MGO Board of Directors

SB 1099 of 2018 - Clarify prohibition of weapons in a sterile area of an airport

SB 1099 of 2018
    Aeronautics; airports; prohibition of weapons in a sterile area of an airport; clarify.
    Last Action: 9/5/2018 REFERRED TO COMMITTEE ON GOVERNMENT OPERATIONS
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    seems unnecessary, unless the federal reference changed. Even if it did, it would be taken to mean that which was originally referenced at the time the bill was turned into law.

The Federal reference did change, see cfr/text/49/1540.5. The old reference seems to be all about unmaned aircraft.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Sec. 80f. (1) An individual shall not possess, carry, or

attempt to possess or carry any of the following in a sterile area

of a commercial airport:

(a) A FIREARM.

(b) AN EXPLOSIVE.

(c) A KNIFE with a blade of any length.

(d) A RAZOR, box cutter, or item with a similar blade.

(e) A DANGEROUS weapon.
    Sterile area means a portion of an airport defined in the airport security program that provides passengers access to boarding aircraft and to which the access generally is controlled by TSA, or by an aircraft operator under part 1544 of this chapter or a foreign air carrier under part 1546 of this chapter, through the screening of persons and property.
    If I understand this correctly, the sterile area does NOT include the lobby, ticketing area, luggage pickup area, or in some locations restaurant area, where access is NOT controlled by TSA, or by an aircraft operator under part 1544.

Does this mean that a valid CPL holder may legally carry a concealed pistol in a Michigan commercial airport, outside such sterile area as defined in this paragraph?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by RayMich View Post
    If I understand this correctly, the sterile area does NOT include the lobby, ticketing area, luggage pickup area, or in some locations restaurant area, where access is NOT controlled by TSA, or by an aircraft operator under part 1544.

Does this mean that a valid CPL holder may legally carry a concealed pistol in a Michigan commercial airport, outside such sterile area as defined in this paragraph?
    This is true now, and it would remain true after this bill becomes law, if it does.

Open Carry, as well.

I am a Forum User

correct

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzoo View Post
    This is true now, and it would remain true after this bill becomes law, if it does.

Open Carry, as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by DP425 View Post
    correct
    Thank You!

IIRC, SHYSTER was working on a case involving Carrying in the non-sterile areas at Detroit Metro Airport. Any success in his challenge to their policy?

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Does anyone have any examples of cases in which a CPL holder was prosecuted for carrying in a "Sterile Area"?

Rule of thumb: The sterile area is past the metal detectors. A large lobby with amenities could be in the sterile area.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by luckless View Post
    Rule of thumb: The sterile area is past the metal detectors. A large lobby with amenities could be in the sterile area.
    Very true. But that's not typically the case. however, one must always be aware of what areas are designated as "sterile" in any airport and act accordingly.