Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I can't post links yet! Forum User

Can heat mess with shot placement?

On tuesday I went to an outdoor range it was 95 with high humidity. I was using my SD9 and my TCP. On a normal day at any range I have good shot placement but tuesday I was pulling rounds hard left and i'm not sure why.I had the RSO run a mag of 115gr WWB and he had no problem. What can i do to fix this issue?

I am a Forum User
    Trigger finger placement is the most likely cause with long DA style trigger pulls. You did not say whether you are left or right handed. Abrupt shifts to the left shot by a left hander are usually due to the trigger finger being too deep, pulling the pistol to the left by the trigger. Right handers can experience the same shift when they don't get the trigger finger deep enough, pushing the pistol to the left when they pull the trigger.

Loose, or sweaty, grip would be the next likely cause. The pistol recoils to the open side of the hand, which for a right hander would be to the left. This movement would be more pronounced as the grip on the pistol is less constrained during recoil.

I am a Forum User
    Heat/humidity wouldn't have an affect on your shots at short distances (pistol range).

Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    Trigger finger placement is the most likely cause with long DA style trigger pulls. You did not say whether you are left or right handed. Abrupt shifts to the left shot by a left hander are usually due to the trigger finger being too deep, pulling the pistol to the left by the trigger. Right handers can experience the same shift when they don't get the trigger finger deep enough, pushing the pistol to the left when they pull the trigger.

Loose, or sweaty, grip would be the next likely cause. The pistol recoils to the open side of the hand, which for a right hander would be to the left. This movement would be more pronounced as the grip on the pistol is less constrained during recoil.
    I am right handed

Quote Originally Posted by cmr19xx View Post
    Heat/humidity wouldn't have an affect on your shots at short distances (pistol range).
    25 yards

I am a Forum User
    Just left is likely trigger control/grip. Low left and you're flinching.

Make a fist and look down at the top of it. Clench your fist and you'll see your hand and wrist twist to the left. Now instead of clenching your whole first, concentrate on just burying your fingertips into your palm, directly back towards your wrist. You should grip the pistol like a C-clamp, not a strap wrench.

To practice outside of the range, dry fire with an empty case or a quarter balanced on the front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyChryst View Post
    Just left is likely trigger control/grip. Low left and you're flinching.

Make a fist and look down at the top of it. Clench your fist and you'll see your hand and wrist twist to the left. Now instead of clenching your whole first, concentrate on just burying your fingertips into your palm, directly back towards your wrist. You should grip the pistol like a C-clamp, not a strap wrench.

To practice outside of the range, dry fire with an empty case or a quarter balanced on the front sight.
    No no no bad down and left almost off the paper. Most days it's well in the zone but not that day.

I am a Forum User
    Low left on a righty is almost assuredly a flinch/anticipation. You subconsciously know a alpine noise is about to happen and you instinctively push it away from your face. Or, you know the pistol is going to jump under recoil, so you anticipate this and force the pistol down to counteract it.

So what's the solution? A lot of people will tell you dry fire practice. To me, that's all fine and good, but dry fire obviously doesn't involve the sensory input that causes it. So my suggestion is first to double up ear pro if you don't already. Especially indoors. Second, you just have to get used to the gun going off. Condition yourself to it. For me, its rapid firing through a mag. Desensitize yourself. Finally, if you death grip, loosen up a bit. Relax your grip as well as your arms and posture.

Just know that even if you overcome a flinch one range session, it can rear its ugly head at any time. Just gotta keep at it.

Quote Originally Posted by scammerslammer View Post
    I am right handed

25 yards
    Heat / humidity likely wont have any effect you can see at 200yds. Any effect will mostly show as vertical due to velocity variation, horizonal is you or wind.

I agree with the other posters, it is probably your trigger work sadly.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

MGO Member
    Sometimes we just have bad days. It happens.
    I like to think I can Tig weld pretty fair but some days are good and some days, well, I shouldn't even look at a welding machine.
    While never thought I was a great shooter there are days that it is a waste of ammo to try.

Any health issues? Too much caffeine that morning? Different time of the day then your normally do your range time?
    Did the wife/boss/girlfriend/kids/ect get to you?
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.