Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Hornady FTX vs corbon pow r ball.

So I polished up the ramp of a sig p6 that jammed a few times on practice ammo. It appeared to be hung up on the ramp.

So I used some privipartizan practice ammo and it seems much smoother.

I want to try some 9mm hollow points. I always heard pow r ball because the huge BB mimics the shape of fmj ammo it should feed.

If hornday FTX feeds out of a magzine is there any reason to think it will not work at the range ?

Open to suggestions for something else self defence ammo that you think would work on a ramp not specifically designed for hollow points as the gun is from 1982.
    Last edited by dirtmcgirt76239; 09-10-2018 at 07:26 PM.

When I got my first LCP, I had a hard time with it feeding JHP. Hornady was the one I was trying to use. One of the guys at TOP GUN in Taylor suggested I try Pow'R Ball & they have worked flawlessly. Have used Critical Defense in my other carry guns. But whenever someone complains about defense ammo, I tell them to try Pow'R Ball.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

I am a Forum User
    In my experience the FTX bullet only works worse in pistols that are picky with JHP. The rubber tip creates more friction often gets stuck on the feed ramp. I have no idea where the belief that the tip somehow helps feeding came in, it's only there to control expansion.

That said, if it feeds by hand in your P6, it should cycle. If it doesn't try some Gold Dots, they're more rounded and tend to feed smoother in picky pistols. Corbon Pow'rball will almost definitely feed well but it performs pretty poorly for JHP. I wouldn't use it unless you can't find anything else that works.

Quote Originally Posted by DEVIL DOG View Post
    When I got my first LCP, I had a hard time with it feeding JHP. Hornady was the one I was trying to use. One of the guys at TOP GUN in Taylor suggested I try Pow'R Ball & they have worked flawlessly. Have used Critical Defense in my other carry guns. But whenever someone complains about defense ammo, I tell them to try Pow'R Ball.
    I have never shot it before but the shape seems like it should work.

I feel better that a new odern ruger is feeding poorly if my gun is from 82.

Quote Originally Posted by Kefefs View Post
    In my experience the FTX bullet only works worse in pistols that are picky with JHP. The rubber tip creates more friction often gets stuck on the feed ramp. I have no idea where the belief that the tip somehow helps feeding came in, it's only there to control expansion.
    hmm intertesing, its feeding out of the magazine well, no jams. I didnt want to waste two boxes to basically confirm it will not work well.

[/QUOTE]
    That said, if it feeds by hand in your P6, it should cycle. If it doesn't try some Gold Dots, they're more rounded and tend to feed smoother in picky pistols. Corbon Pow'rball will almost definitely feed well but it performs pretty poorly for JHP. I wouldn't use it unless you can't find anything else that works.[/QUOTE]

Before I pour over a bunch of tests what do you not like about the performance ?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    hmm intertesing, its feeding out of the magazine well, no jams. I didnt want to waste two boxes to basically confirm it will not work well.

That said, if it feeds by hand in your P6, it should cycle. If it doesn't try some Gold Dots, they're more rounded and tend to feed smoother in picky pistols. Corbon Pow'rball will almost definitely feed well but it performs pretty poorly for JHP. I wouldn't use it unless you can't find anything else that works.
    Before I pour over a bunch of tests what do you not like about the performance ?
    Penetration is seriously lacking. It's a low-mass bullet at high velocity, so that's about normal. Modern understanding of terminal ballistics is that you want 12"-18" of penetration in gel; the Pow'rball hits maybe 10".

Quote Originally Posted by Kefefs View Post
    Penetration is seriously lacking. It's a low-mass bullet at high velocity, so that's about normal. Modern understanding of terminal ballistics is that you want 12"-18" of penetration in gel; the Pow'rball hits maybe 10".
    hmm damn. Well gotta anything you think other than speer gold dots I should try next range trip. I already have gold dots laying around so thats no big deal.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    hmm damn. Well gotta anything you think other than speer gold dots I should try next range trip. I already have gold dots laying around so thats no big deal.
    Remington Golden Sabers have a similar round profile and perform fairly well, so give those a try if the Gold Dots don't work.