Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Michigan's Best Places for Deer Hunting

MLive has analyzed the DNR's 2017 Deer Harvest Survey Report which was released in July to produce some interesting interactive graphics. This survey and the MLive analysis covers all Michigan deer hunting seasons: bow, rifle, and muzzleloader. The story:

https://www.mlive.com/expo/news/erry...rst-place.html

Michigan's best (and worst) places for deer hunting, based on 2017 survey
    By Julie Mack | September 9, 2018 9:06 PM

About 574,000 people hunted deer in Michigan in 2017, and about half of those hunters killed at least one deer, according to the Michigan Department of Natural Resources.

The 2018 deer-hunting season starts Sept. 22 with the early anterless firearm season, and bow season begins Oct. 1. The most popular is regular firearm season, which runs Nov. 15-30.

Below is a look at the counties where hunters were most successful in 2017, based on the DNR's 2017 deer harvest survey.

The formula used for this ranking: Number of hunters in each area divided by number of deer harvested. Note this is based on where the hunting occurred, and not the hunters' residences.

For its data collection, the DNR divides the state into 85 "deer management units," or DMUs. In the Lower Peninsula, those DMUs generally follow county boundaries. That's not true in the Upper Peninsula.

Five DMUs are not included in this ranking, all small areas that drew less than 1,000 hunters: Fox, North Manitou, Beaver and Round/Bois Blanc islands and St. Clair Flats.

St. Clair Flats, which is part of Macomb County, actually had the highest deer harvest per hunter ratio of any DMU in the state: 300 hunters killed 302 deer, or 10.1 deer for every 10 hunters.

Before we get into the rankings, here are two interactive maps: One showing the number of deer harvested for every 10 hunters in 2017 and the other showing the percent of residents in each county who obtained at least one Michigan hunting license in 2017.

This interactive map show the number of deer harvested for every 10 hunters. You can put your cursor over a Deer Management Unit to see the underlying data.

In terms of raw numbers, the Thumb region -- DMU 332 -- had both the highest number of hunters (33,677) and the largest number of deer harvested (23,050).

Now for the ranking of 79 DMUs, ranked by average number of deer harvested for every 10 hunters.

Most hunters live in the southern Lower Peninsula. However, a higher proportion of residents in northern Michigan purchased hunting licenses.

This interactive map shows the percentage of Michigan residents in each county who purchased at least one hunting license in 2017. In total, there were a little more 665,000 individuals who purchased one or more hunting licenses in 2017, according to the DNR.

The county with the highest percent: Ontonagon County in the Upper Peninsula, where 29% of residents had a hunting license. The county with the lowest percentage: Wayne County, at 2%.......
    To use the interactive graphics, you have to go to the MLive hyperlink, above. Lots more text as well.

Not well disclosed in the MLive analysis: the continuing decline in the number of Michiganders buying deer hunting licenses.

I am a Forum User
    The DNR's 2017 Deer Harvest Survey Report is probably worth a post of its own, but its abstract is a must read for anyone interested in Michigan hunting and wildlife:

ABSTRACT

A survey of deer hunters was conducted following the 2017 hunting seasons to estimate hunter participation, harvest, and hunting effort. In 2017, an estimated 574,127 hunters spent 8.7 million days afield. Statewide, the number of people hunting decreased significantly by 2% between 2016 and 2017.

Hunters harvested about 376,000 deer. Harvest increased significantly by 10% between 2016 and 2017. Statewide, nearly 50% of hunters harvested a deer in 2017. About 22% of hunters took an antlerless deer and 36% took an antlered buck in 2017. Approximately 15% of deer hunters harvested two or more deer of any type. About 6% of hunters statewide harvested two antlered bucks. Levels of satisfaction with numbers of deer seen, bucks seen, deer harvested, and overall experience increased significantly in 2017 from 2016. Statewide, 53% of hunters were satisfied with their overall hunting experience in 2017. About 206,000 hunters used a crossbow during the 2017 archery season, and they harvested approximately 93,000 deer with the crossbow.

About 14% fewer individuals purchased a deer hunting license in 2017 than ten years ago in 2007. Although the overall number of license buyers declined from 2007, an increased number of people younger than 12 years of age and people older than 54 purchased a license in 2017. About 11% of the license buyers in 2017 were younger than 17 years old.

Nearly 50% of deer hunters indicated that deer numbers and harvest has decreased during the last five years, while nearly an equal proportion of hunters indicated that deer numbers and harvest was unchanged. About 56% of hunters statewide indicated that they would like to see deer numbers stay the same during the next five years, while 39% of hunters wanted deer numbers to increase. Deer hunters were presented thirteen statements related to CWD and asked whether they agreed or disagreed with these statements.

Statewide, most hunters agreed with the following two statements:

(1) CWD could spread throughout the Michigan deer herd [74%] and,
    (2) we should reduce deer populations in CWD areas [59%].

Most hunters disagree with the following five statements:

(1) CWD is natural and we should let it take its course in deer [58%],
    (2) I plan to discontinue deer hunting if CWD has infected deer where I hunt [57%],
    (3) I have concerns about eating deer meat [53%],
    (4) I plan to locate a different hunting area in Michigan if CWD has infected deer where I hunt [53%], and
    (5) members of my family have concerns about eating deer meat [52%].

Finally, most hunters (57%) indicated they were uncertain about whether could get CWD if they eat meat from animals infected with CWD.

I am a Forum User
    West Bloomfield - 14 mile and telegraph. Biggest buck I have ever seen in my parents back yard! LOL