Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shotgun Chokes for Waterfowl [and possibly Pheasant]

So I ordered my Stoeger Uplander SxS and it comes with one Modified and one Improved-Cylinder choke. I'm wondering if I should buy a Full or Improved-Modified choke for it or if Improved-Cyclinder would be good enough? I'm mostly planning on hunting Canada Geese as they pass by on their way to bed, they get as close as they would over decoys but aren't going feet down. If things go well I'd like to try going on a pheasant hunt, so if any chokes could pull double duty for that it would be good to know.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDeko View Post
    So I ordered my Stoeger Uplander SxS and it comes with one Modified and one Improved-Cylinder choke. I'm wondering if I should buy a Full or Improved-Modified choke for it or if Improved-Cyclinder would be good enough? I'm mostly planning on hunting Canada Geese as they pass by on their way to bed, they get as close as they would over decoys but aren't going feet down. If things go well I'd like to try going on a pheasant hunt, so if any chokes could pull double duty for that it would be good to know.
    I would also buy full and extra full for water fowl.

I am a Forum User
    Agree with coobie. You're going to want full for waterfowl. IC and modified are fine for pheasant, grouse and any preserve hunting you would do.

I do all of my duck and goose hunting with a MOD choke. My friend only shoots them 'feet down' uses an IC.

The reason every hunting gun comes with an IC and MOD choke is because they work for everything... at a reasonable distance.

I think that you should go out and pattern what you already have, then try and determine how much you want to tighten up the pattern.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Are your modified and improved chokes rated for lead or steel shot? Most lead rated modified chokes throw a tight, full choke pattern when you run steel shot through them. Most lead rated improved cylinder chokes throw a modified choke pattern when you run steel shot through them.

If your chokes are lead rated, ask the distributor whether they can be used with steel shot. Some have walls too thin for steel shot and you have to use extended choke tubes with steel shot.

If your chokes are lead rated and safe for steel shot, you are well set for upland shooting with lead shot and most duck/goose shooting with steel shot.

I've always used an improved modified for steel as we were told with steel shot to use the next size down choke from what you're using for lead.

Yeah, only the Modified and Improved Cylinder are steel-safe.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    I've always used an improved modified for steel
    I've killed hundreds of geese with Modified/steel 2

I've killed three dozen pheasants with Modified/lead 5

And what you are attempting to do with the geese is called "pass shooting."
    My first three or four years waterfowling was done at the Shiawassee State Game Area, pothole C, where everything was pass shooting as the birds were flying out of the federal refuge into the state game area. It was a blast.

After that I learned how to call them and be where they want to be. SO much more exciting when the landing gear comes down and you're inundated with geese. I remember shooting my first triple, making my dog sit while one by one, the shots rang out and a goose would fall. What an amazing dog.

You may want to go Full choke for pheasant, depending on whether you are at a pheasant farm with a dog that works close, or in the wild with a dog that tends to typewriter out a bit.
    Last edited by Jackam; 09-15-2018 at 09:05 AM.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

Account Closed Forum User
    I have cracked full and extra full chokes with steel shot. Be Careful!!! Steel shot don't constrict like lead shot does.

Full chokes and steel shot don’t mix, except when they do. Full and steel damage barrels, except when they don’t. Full chokes and steel produce blown patterns, except when they don’t. Full chokes and big pellets – BBB and T – really don’t mix, except when they do. Figuring out where the truth lies is difficult. Here it is. Most of it, anyway.
    https://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs...hoke-and-steel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast