Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Carry A Serious Handgun When Elk Hunting!

Field dressing your elk trophy can be very dangerous:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/17...zly-bears.html

Wyoming hunting guide fatally mauled by grizzly bears
    Ryan Gaydos - September 17, 2018

A Wyoming hunting guide was fatally mauled and his client was injured when a pair of grizzly bears attacked them Friday, officials said.

Authorities later euthanized two grizzly bears, a mother and a cub, who wildlife managers believe killed guide Mark Uptain and wounded his client Corey Chubon near the Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks border, according to USA Today.

“All available evidence indicates that these two bears were the bears involved in the Terrace Mountain attack,” Wyoming Game and Fish Department spokeswoman Rebekah Fitzgerald said in a statement Sunday.

Uptan and Chubon were attacked by bears as they field dressed the elk they had shot Thursday but were only able to find Friday, officials said. The bears “aggressively charged” the men and didn’t touch the dead elk, Teton County officials said.

The deadly incident came weeks after a federal judge halted Wyoming state officials’ plans to hold a grizzly hunt this month, according to USA Today. The hunt was put on hold until Oct. 1.

“I can only imagine how horrific this was,” Sy Gilliland, a hunting guide and spokesman for grizzly hunters in the area, told the newspaper. “You've got a bear population that's basically un-hunted, is an apex predator, and has no fear of humans.”

Upton was a father of five, authorities said. A GoFundMe page was launched to help his family.

“I have been best friends with Sarah (Uptain’s wife) since the 2nd grade, we have done a lot of life together,” Rauli Perry, a family friend, wrote on the page. “I know I can’t take away the pain, but if we can help support Sarah to be able to focus on the kids and not worry about finances.“
    Good luck getting at your hunting rifle when you are elbow deep in an elk carcass.

MGO Member Forum User
    Don't really need to worry about grizz here in Michigan. When I hunt here I open carry my Tanfoglio Wintess Elite Stock III in 10mm with 220gr hard cast loads. If I were going where there's Grizzly, though, then I'd carry my S&W 500.

I am a Forum User
    Im bringing my Kustom Glock 21 with a longer barrel and slide

MGO Member
    I have a sig 365. I should be safe, right?

I thought this was already posted here.

I am a Forum User
    Another bear attack while elk hunting:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/grizzly-b...of-yellowstone

Grizzly bear attacks hunter in mountains north of Yellowstone
    Amy Lieu - October 16, 2018

A grizzly bear sunk her teeth into an elk hunter's arm and clawed his eye on Saturday after he surprised the sow and her cub north of Yellowstone National Park, according to the victim.

Bob Legasa, 57, and his hunting buddy were walking toward some elk in Livingston when he heard a cub growl. Shortly after, the cub's mother ran full speed in his direction.

"I was hoping it was going to be a bluff charge, and halfway through I realized it was going to be the real deal," he said.

He told the Coeur d'Alene Press that the bear weighed about 500 pounds. He said he braced for impact like a football player. The bear attempted to hug him and latched on to his arm.

"I was knocked over on my butt and at that point I was kicking and screaming trying to move her away."

His buddy sprayed at the bear with bear spray and inadvertently hit Legasa twice.

"I had blood in my eyes and bear spray in my eyes and I couldn't see a damn thing," he said. "We were putting snow and water in our eyes, trying to get relief."

The bear eventually relented.

The bear's response was normal for a sow with a cub encountering a human at close range, Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks officials said in a statement Monday. Legasa asked that the bear not be put down.

Legasa said the experience won't put him off hunting, a hobby since he was a teenager, but he said he will be more cautious in the future.

"I'm always going to have my hunting partner close, and reposition where I carry my bear spray so I can grab it with both hands," he said.

Legasa posted an update of his condition on Facebook.

"All in all I am in good shape. My arm is screwed up a little and sore and the vision is good, I will be fine," he said in his post.
    Bear spray is a waste of valuable time on grizzlies.

I am a Forum User
    Another elk hunter attacked by a grizzly bear in Montana couldn't get to his rifle fast enough. The bear attacked so quickly he could not get his rifle unslung:

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/local_...ys_bear_attack

Local man describes Sunday’s bear attack
    Duncan Adams - November 13, 2018

The bear snarled and slobbered as it tore first into Anders Broste’s right arm, breaking the radius and dislocating the arm, before focusing on Broste’s left ankle.

He was face to face with the bear, having fallen on his back while trying to backpedal through thick brush to retreat.

Broste, 36, lives north of Columbia Falls and was hunting with a friend Sunday morning in the Trumbull Canyon Road area near Columbia Falls when the bear attacked.

Broste said he is “99.9 percent sure it was a grizzly.” He said Monday night that he has not heard again from the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks, which is investigating the incident. Broste remains hospitalized at Kalispell Regional Medical Center.

The attack occurred Sunday morning as Broste struggled to move through the brush with his rifle. He had an elk tag. His friend, who had never hunted before, was after deer and probably about 150 yards away. Broste thinks the bear was bedded down in the brush.

“It was on me in seconds,” he said. “I thought, ‘Oh, my God, this is actually happening.’ I started backpedaling, trying to get the gun off my shoulder. I think I just fell to the ground immediately.”

Broste said he believes he kicked the bear a couple of times. And then, suddenly, the bear just ran off.

“I started screaming for my friend to come help me,” he said.

Broste told the friend to fire a few rounds in the direction of the bear’s flight to scare the animal away from returning.

The men had cell service and the friend first called Broste’s wife and then dialed 911.

Ultimately, both Two Bear Air and ALERT helicopter responded, as did North Valley Search and Rescue.

As the medics worked on Broste at the scene others stood guard.

“I’ve never been so thankful to see high-powered rifles and shotguns,” he said.

His voice broke.

“I’m thankful to be alive. I’m thankful for all the people who helped me.”

He said the attack won’t keep him out of the woods.

“The outdoors is where I feel alive,” Broste said.

“I don’t blame that bear. I was in its territory. It did what a bear does.”

Meanwhile, he said his friend told him he’s done with hunting for this year.
    The grizzly bear bit both of Broste’s arms - breaking one - and pulled him by the leg approximately 7-8 feet before letting go.

I am a Forum User
    It turns out the guide in the OP story had a Glock 20 without a round chambered. The hunter went for the Glock when the guide was overwhelmed by the bear, but could not make it go bang. A bow hunter who did not think to rack the slide.

There is a moral to this story.