Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Slowing the spread of CWD

Slowing the spread of CWD

Deer hunting seasons kick off this weekend with the Liberty Hunt and, in certain locations, the early antlerless firearm season. Within specific areas of the state there are opportunities and regulations in place to help battle chronic wasting disease (CWD).

What YOU can do to help
    Regulations
    NEW antlerless license opportunity
    Field-dressing and processing your deer
    If you see a sick deer

What YOU can do to help

Keep hunting, especially in CWD areas. Find CWD-specific areas at michigan.gov/cwd.
    Get your deer checked and tested for CWD.
    Find DNR check station and drop-box locations, including partnering meat processors and taxidermists, at michigan.gov/deercheck. Some drop boxes are open 24 hours.
    Visit michigan.gov/dnrlab to check your test results.Test results may take up to 14 business days during the busier times of the season.
    Avoid long-distance movements with your deer carcass. For carcass transportation rules, visit michigan.gov/cwd (pages 39 and 52 of the Hunting Digest).
    Handle and dispose of your carcass in a responsible manner – dispose of leftover carcass parts through your garbage service, an appropriate landfill, incineration or deep burial at the harvest location.
    If you hunt outside of Michigan, bring back only allowed cervid parts (see page 53 of the Hunting Digest).

Regulations

The Liberty Hunt, Sept. 22-23, takes place on private and public lands statewide in Michigan open to firearm deer hunting (pages 27 and 30 of the Hunting Digest outline who is eligible for this hunt).
    Many deer management units are open to the early antlerless firearm season, which is Sept. 22-23 on private lands only. Visit michigan.gov/deer to find the list of open areas.
    There are baiting and feeding restrictions in place for certain locations within the state (see page 50 of the Hunting Digest).
    Approved urine and lure attractants can be found at michigan.gov/cwd (additional details on pages 48 and 49 of the Hunting Digest).
    Carcass transportation restrictions can be found on pages 39 and 52 of the Hunting Digest.
    In CWD areas, deer licenses may be used to harvest antlerless deer and/or antlered deer with at least one antler 3 inches or longer (learn what is allowed on page 38 of the Hunting Digest).
    There is a purchase limit of 10 private-land antlerless licenses per hunter in the CWD Management Zone (see pages 34, 39 and 40 of the Hunting Digest).

NEW antlerless license opportunity

Hunters have the option of purchasing discounted antlerless licenses at 40 percent off the usual price. These licenses are good for private land within the CWD Management Zone through Nov. 4, 2018, when they expire. In addition to these discounted licenses, hunters still can purchase regular, over-the-counter antlerless deer licenses (see pages 39 and 40 of the Hunting Digest).
    Field-dressing and processing your deer

It is recommended that when field-dressing your deer, you:

Cover all open wounds.
    Wear rubber gloves.
    Minimize the handling of brain and spinal tissues.
    Bone out the meat from your deer. Avoid cutting through the brain or spinal column during processing.
    Wash hands with soap and warm water after handling any parts of the carcass.
    Wash knives, saws and cutting table surfaces immediately after processing.
    Dispose of leftover carcass parts through your garbage service, an appropriate landfill, incineration or deep burial at the harvest location.
    Bury gut piles after field-dressing a deer or dispose of them at an appropriate landfill location.
    Avoid consuming or cooking the brain, spinal cord, eyes, spleen and lymph nodes of harvested animals.
    Request that your animal be processed individually, without meat from other animals being added.

If you see a sick deer

While you're out hunting, keep an eye out for deer exhibiting signs of CWD. Deer with the disease can be thin and show abnormal behavior such as loss of fear of humans, lowered head or excessive drooling. Report sick deer to the DNR at 1-800-292-7800 or online at michigan.gov/eyesinthefield.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

I am a Forum User
    Interesting bit from Uncle Ted, and of course it's unfiltered, so **NSFW**LANGUAGE** on his visit to the Joe Rogan show. (don't know the date, this may be older than the OP's thread) Came across this randomly somehow. He drops a lot of information on here that is new to me in any of the reading I've done on CWD. Don't shoot the messenger.

Anyone have any ideas of what hunting will look like this year, con Rona, con CWD?

Go Ted,
    Plus one for the ribeye in the sky, its the best bird I have eaten,
    "dying ain't much of a living boy"

I am a Forum User

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Quads View Post
    Interesting bit from Uncle Ted, and of course it's unfiltered, so **NSFW**LANGUAGE** on his visit to the Joe Rogan show. (don't know the date, this may be older than the OP's thread)
    July 2018
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by josey wales View Post
    Go Ted,
    Plus one for the ribeye in the sky, its the best bird I have eaten,
    I had absolutely no idea they were good for eating.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by CyborgHunter View Post
    July 2018
    I figured that part out later.
    Funny how the same catch phrases for wild animals are used for humans.

Slow the spread. Flatten the curve. Etc. Etc.

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quads View Post
    I figured that part out later.
    Funny how the same catch phrases for wild animals are used for humans.

Slow the spread. Flatten the curve. Etc. Etc.
    And how neither has a basis in real science or is in the least bit effective...
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca