Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gun safe plans

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    10x25mm, why does a mug have problems with thickness under an eighth? Are most just too hot for thin welding, lots of blow thru?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by moosefire66 View Post
    10x25mm, why does a mug have problems with thickness under an eighth? Are most just too hot for thin welding, lots of blow thru?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Run GMA (MIG) welders cold enough not to burn through light gauge steel and you get awful looking welds, wire sticks, and cold shuts. Under 3mm, GTA (TIG) is the way to go. Pretty welds with great properties. The small diameter, flux cored GMA wires can get you down to 2mm if you are a great welder, but they are really expensive. A 5% oxygen kicker in 75% Ar / 25% CO2 gas also helps with light gauge welding, but this means inventorying a specialty gas. Overall, more trouble than it is worth. GTA works so very well on light gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by moosefire66 View Post
    Mufflers and exhaust pipes are welded regularly with a typical MIG unit and 0.024 wire, full gas shield with C/25 gas. Good smooth welds that could actually be metal finished if it was wanted. That is actually pretty thin wall if you think about it. It is all about material, tool and operator selection, along with some prep work and a modicum of knowledge.

I have welded (clean welds) on 24 gauge sheet metal with a MIG and regularly weld up shelf framing from 1x1 .090 wall square tube. I have a buddy that has TIG welded a knife slit in a beer can (water tight), just to show it is easy to do once you learn how.

Google doesn't have all of the answers.

Damit, got caught in that damn SQL trap again!

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    So that's why we see all those mufflers lying along the side of the road?

There are some commercially available take apart safes if you want to go that way.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    I've seen quite a few, but I'd rather build one than buy one...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12