Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    The SAAMI cartridge drawing for .45-70 Springfield calls for a 35 - 55 degree outside cha**** (angle measured from a parallel to the bore axis) extending 0.045 - 0.055 inch forward from the very rear of the case. This is more than half of the entire 0.060 - 0.070 inch total rim thickness of the .45-70 case. Insufficient rim cha**** would tend to increase friction at the location where your cartridge is stopping, and it could also stop the case at the receiver bolster behind the breech block.
    Thanks for the information. So is this something I should send it in to Ruger for? Interesting you mention the bolster, the receiver area behind the breech block is raised just the tiniest bit. I played with some spent cases some more and ejecting them and a few stopped right there.

I am a Forum User
    Before you send your rifle back to Ruger, download the SAAMI specifications for rifle cartridges. The new 2018 edition of ANSI/SAAMI Z299-4 is now out. [Maybe not. I just downloaded it at their link and the 2015 version arrived.] Then check your ammunition against the SAAMI drawing. The rim cha**** is one of those 'non critical' dimensions which is often ignored by ammunition manufacturers, especially foreign manufacturers.

Ruger will certainly use SAAMI compliant ammunition to test your rifle. If the problem is due to non compliant ammunition, Ruger will not be able to reproduce your issue.

I am a Forum User
    Congrats - love my #1 45-70

Older 'red pad' model, I load it hot with 400 gr Barnes originals.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12