Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Silencer?

I am a Forum User

Silencer?

Which handgun is the best choice for a silencer? I have a few options now that I could order threaded barrels for but I am wondering which handgun/caliber has the best use for a silencer? Should I get a .22 Rimfire and use it to practice target shooting or would it help with a 9mm by balancing out the weight/recoil of the 9mm? Or same with the .45acp?

Suggestions are more than welcome! Im asking for them please! Thx!

The best muting will likely come from a 22 or 45acp.
    The best recoil reduction will come from the cartridge with the most gas pressure at the muzzle, the 9mm.

Which cartridge do you shoot the most?
    Do you have a place to shoot that doesn't require ears?
    Personal opinion would have me putting it on the gun I shoot the most to reduce ear damage while target shooting. Be aware if you shoot steels with a silenced pistol the bullet impact is often going to be loud enough to damage your hearing over time with a centerfire. The light weight polymer guns like the Glocks or Buckmarks I have handled with a suppressor on them have felt quite muzzle heavy to me and off balance. You might want to see if you can handle a similar firearm to yours with one somewhere and see how it feels to you. This might be a deciding feature to you in the end.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    The best recoil reduction will come from the cartridge with the most gas pressure at the muzzle, the 9mm.

Personal opinion would have me putting it on the gun I shoot the most to reduce ear damage while target shooting. Be aware if you shoot steels with a silenced pistol the bullet impact is often going to be loud enough to damage your hearing over time with a centerfire. The light weight polymer guns like the Glocks or Buckmarks I have handled with a suppressor on them have felt quite muzzle heavy to me and off balance. You might want to see if you can handle a similar firearm to yours with one somewhere and see how it feels to you. This might be a deciding feature to you in the end.
    Thanks Joe! This is very helpful information and requires a lengthy thought process in my future! Maybe first thing I should do is get that tax stamp and wait? Does that take a while to come back? Im in Calhoun County...

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by Chogers View Post
    Thanks Joe! This is very helpful information and requires a lengthy thought process in my future! Maybe first thing I should do is get that tax stamp and wait? Does that take a while to come back? Im in Calhoun County...
    you should look up some articles about getting a silencer buddy
    you can't "prepay" the tax stamp. You gotta pick your silencer, then pay for your silencer, have it shipped to your dealer (which can take a few weeks), then file your paperwork on your silencer with payment included, then wait. then wait some more, then get sick and tired of waiting, then keep waiting, then you get your approval/stamp.

Pick wisely. Think about a hybrid type that can handle multiple calibers by swapping out mounts, endcaps, etc. Otherwise you may end up with many silencers for different calibers... which isn't really a bad thing.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I’m just north of you in Hastings. If you want, you can come by and look at some silencers and I can talk you through the process.
    While you are here, you can do your fingerprints. Doesn’t cost anything.

Andrew 503-313-0514
    Last edited by Coctailer; 10-01-2018 at 07:08 AM.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    IMO you should first get a nice .22 can that you can move between pistols and rifles. After that, start thinking center-fire pistol. I love a Government Model 1911 with a can. Quiet, very soft shooting and very accurate.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by Shyster View Post
    IMO you should first get a nice .22 can that you can move between pistols and rifles. After that, start thinking center-fire pistol. I love a Government Model 1911 with a can. Quiet, very soft shooting and very accurate.
    listen, man, i've been trying to NOT buy that exact setup for a while now because of finances... I could do with less temptation like this. I haven't even started paperwork on the last silencer I paid for (the one i texted you about)
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I am a Forum User
    I'm pretty much running them all except .40 which I have never liked. I have a Innovative Arms Shepard 45 on a M&P which is super quiet. Of course almost all .45 is subsonic so that helps right there. I have a couple .22 cans I run on a Walther PPQ M2 that are whisper quiet with subs. 9mm is what I use the most as I also run several subguns in 9 as well as my G17. I only run the 147 subsonic ammo - mostly the Speer Lawman that I get from SGAmmo for $182 per 1K. My Glock, HK MP5 and AR9's all love it and it is very quiet in all of them.

As a suppressor dealer with lots of experience with different cans I can tell you there is little variation in DB level by manufacturer. They all work great and I have not tried any can that I thought sucked. For suppressors you pay extra for light weight and flexibility. There really is not a bad host pistol either. It all comes down to the aftermarket barrel availability which makes Glock, S&W M&P and 1911's the best hosts. Lone Wolf and Storm Lake make great barrels and some of the suppressor company's are not offering barrels too although I believe they are probably rebranded SL and LW.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post

When I was researching suppressors, I found that 9 mm with subs is more quiet than .45 ACP with subs.

Chogers, what pistols do you currently own that you want to use with the suppressor?

I am a Forum User
    Think this way, the more powerful the cartridge the bigger and heavier the can. Also consider a can for one caliber can be used on a smaller caliber but will not be as effective. For example you can use a 45 can on 45, 40, 9mm 22... but the bigger the caliber difference, the less effective the can. A 45 can on a 22 will still lower noise, but not nearly like on a 45. Also consider cans work best with subsonic ammo (45, 147 9mm...).

Consider 3 initial cans for almost all cartridges
    45 pistol (will cover almost all centerfire pistol cartridges)
    308 rifle (308/7.62x51, 7.62x39, 300 blk, 5.56...)

For most pistols, you will need a piston, as the barrel moves (most 22s do not have a moving barrel, so not needed).

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast