Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Silencer?

I have a can on a 9mm, 45, 308 and 5.56.
    For me, I like the 9mm with subsonics the best. With 147gr subs, you can get good speeds with a heavy bullet and good sound reduction. Also, I really like the fact I can shoot a pistol caliber rifle (AR9) with the can and it's just that more accurate and fun.
    The upside with the 45 is that its 230 gr are naturally subsonic, so any off-the-shelf ammo (for the most part) will work with a can.
    My advice would be to get an Advanced Armament Corp Ti-Rant 45 with a 9mm piston. That way you can shoot it out of a 45 or a 9mm. Your sound reduction out of the 9mm won't be as good as a dedicated can, but the difference isn't all the at great.
    You could even shoot 22LR with the adapter if you so wish.
    Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. Ronald Reagan

Gotta be somebody need some killin
    Major Benson Winifred Payne

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elwarpo View Post
    ...but the bigger the caliber difference, the less effective the can. A 45 can on a 22 will still lower noise, but not nearly like on a 45.
    In my experience, 9mm through a .45 can is quieter than shooting .45 through that same can. Same with shooting .22 through the .45 can. Bigger calibers tend to make more noise, possibly because they use more powder, and thus generate more gas.

I am a Forum User
    Agree that the hole size does not matter that much for actual DB sound reduction. Shooting a 9 through a 45 can may be a DB or two louder but the human ear can't tell the difference in one or two DB. It may sound different tonally but you won't notice it being louder.

Not everyone can afford four different suppressors. I have been selling a lot of the Liberty Mystic's and Cosmic's which are IMHO the best do it all suppressors for the money. With a SS monocore baffle and titanium tube they are amazingly versatile. With a piston booster you can shoot any pistol caliber that fits through the hole. The Mystic will work great on most rifle calibers as long as you follow the barrel length restrictions and don't do full mag dumps. The 45 Cosmic can handle the 450 Bushmaster and .308 Win in smaller doses for hunting with no problems then run on your .45 ACP pistol. You just need the right adapters. Heck of a can for $600 + adapters.

Quote Originally Posted by Danco411 View Post
    Agree that the hole size does not matter that much for actual DB sound reduction. Shooting a 9 through a 45 can may be a DB or two louder but the human ear can't tell the difference in one or two DB. It may sound different tonally but you won't notice it being louder.

Not everyone can afford four different suppressors. I have been selling a lot of the Liberty Mystic's and Cosmic's which are IMHO the best do it all suppressors for the money. With a SS monocore baffle and titanium tube they are amazingly versatile. With a piston booster you can shoot any pistol caliber that fits through the hole. The Mystic will work great on most rifle calibers as long as you follow the barrel length restrictions and don't do full mag dumps. The 45 Cosmic can handle the 450 Bushmaster and .308 Win in smaller doses for hunting with no problems then run on your .45 ACP pistol. You just need the right adapters. Heck of a can for $600 + adapters.
    I made my form 1 can to mimic the benefits of the Liberty Cosmic. However, my baffles are not perfectly concentric and I am not going to use it for .450 bushmaster anymore. But it will be fine for .308. However a "pistol" size .45 cal can will not make .450 Bushmaster or .308 hearing safe. Actually, I would bet that no supersonic rifle round would be hearing safe, out of a .45 cal "pistol" sized can.

Quote Originally Posted by thedonn007 View Post
    I made my form 1 can to mimic the benefits of the Liberty Cosmic. However, my baffles are not perfectly concentric and I am not going to use it for .450 bushmaster anymore. But it will be fine for .308. However a "pistol" size .45 cal can will not make .450 Bushmaster or .308 hearing safe. Actually, I would bet that no supersonic rifle round would be hearing safe, out of a .45 cal "pistol" sized can.
    Generally speaking, no supersonic round larger than a 22LR will really be hearing safe, even out of a rifle can. A supersonic .308 out of a 30 cal can is still way too loud to not wear hearing protection. Same goes for a 5.56. Out of a 45 ACP can- even worse. However, a suppressed 220 gr 30 cal out of a 300BLK just under the speed of sound is not only hearing safe, but I've found them to be more quiet than a suppressed 45.

I use a can on my SBRs out of respect for my fellow shooters in lanes next to me, and to dampen the damage that inevitably occurs to your ears and the small bones in your ears, even when wearing protection. I also use a can on any of my rifles that have a 51T Muzzle Brake, again, out of respect to my fellow shooters. If I'm shooting by myself, I may not, but the degradation of accuracy is minimal enough that I like to do anything I can to limit the noise pollution my ears receive. Too many years as a tanker in the Army taught me that once you start losing the hearing, you ain't getting it back.
    Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. Ronald Reagan

Gotta be somebody need some killin
    Major Benson Winifred Payne

Banned
    I did the Griffin Optimus

Amazing for what it is

I need to buy one more haha

My 9 mm with a H&K style Twist on gig is very quiet

My 300 Blackout with the full size suppressor is like the bolt is louder

I am a Forum User
    Like I said I would not buy the Liberty Cosmic as an every day 450 plinking can. But as a one (or two if you suck) shot hunting can it beats any brake! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by I1I1I11II View Post
    I did the Griffin Optimus

Amazing for what it is

I need to buy one more haha

My 9 mm with a H&K style Twist on gig is very quiet

My 300 Blackout with the full size suppressor is like the bolt is louder
    I think the Optimus is amazing. I bought one for myself to keep.
    I’ve been in the business for 26 years and I’m not even a Griffin fan, but that can is one of the best ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by Coctailer View Post
    I’ve been in the business for 26 years and I’m not even a Griffin fan, but that can is one of the best ever created.
    I would have bought one, but it came out just after I bought my 9 mm and .308 cans. So I did not really need it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Coctailer View Post
    I got mine from you and it was a pleasant experience!
    Last edited by I1I1I11II; 10-08-2018 at 12:19 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast