Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Silencer?

I am a Forum User
    This is just my openion

I think a 1911 and a silencer is a great place to start for your pistols. I have a Griffin Revolution and a Remington 1911 and its so much fun to shoot. I have a range behind my barn with LOTS of steel and yes I can hear the steel but its not loud at all. I am 60 and listened to just a little to much rock and roll in my day so my hearing is not great. I like the Griffin Revolution because I can use it on many of my handguns and some of my carbines as well. I have a 45 cal carbine and its a ball with that suppressor.

When I was thinking of getting my first silencer (the Revolution is my second one) I tried locally and could not get anyone to talk with me and explain what the differences are and make some suggestions. I called silencer shop (www.silencershop.com) and the man spent over 45 min talking me through what I may want. I wanted to shoot lead bullets through my silencer so he suggested the Griffins because the are user serviceable.

I have also used the silencer on my 9mm 1911 and its fun to shoot also but I had to load some 147 grain bullets and slow them down because if you go much over 1100 fps you will loose your quiet from your silencer. This is why the 45 ACP is a natural for a silencer the 45 ACP round is subsonic to begin with (under the 1100 fps) so you will not need to buy special ammo. Standard 230 grain ball ammo will work just fine for 45 ACP. If you are a hand loader it does not make a difference because you can load whatever you need but if you buy factory ammo the subsonic stuff is expensive. If you want to learn how if you cast your own bullets and powder coat them you can load 45 ACP for about 11 cents a round.

Yes the wait after your lay down your money (including the 200$ tax stamp) is long but I think its worth it!

If you can ask a friend to let you shoot some of theirs before you make a decision, I am north of Flint about 20 miles and I think You are in Battle Creek so I think I am to far away to help you.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by thedonn007 View Post
    When I was researching suppressors, I found that 9 mm with subs is more quiet than .45 ACP with subs.
    It absolutely is. Somewhere along the line people began to conflate .45 Auto's standard subsonic velocity with "it's the quietest". That's not true. And while we're on the subject, it's not the 90s anymore; subsonic 9mm is cheap and readily available. .45 being subsonic with standard loads is not an advantage unless you already have a stockpile of ammo and don't want to but any more.

I am a Forum User
    I'm looking to get a .22 suppressor under $300 for my PPQ22 and my GSG-5. What do you guys recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by dwcopple View Post
    I'm looking to get a .22 suppressor under $300 for my PPQ22 and my GSG-5. What do you guys recommend?
    Spend another $100? I would make sure to get stainless or titanium baffles. Silencerco Spectre I think would be a good choice for a cheaper option.

I am a Forum User
    Spectre II does get good reviews. Aac aviator 2 looks good to go as well for $250ish

I always recommend spending the extra $99 and get the BEST .22. Dead Air Mask
    I have some Gemtech Outback IIDs for under $250

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    The best muting will likely come from a 22 or 45acp.
    In my experience .45 suppression is ok but not nearly as good as subsonic 9mm. It is just hard to quiet when shooting that large a diameter projo.

.22LR is going to give you the closest to what you've seen/heard in the movies. If you keep your host firearm's barrel to less than or equal to 4.5" most bulk pack .22LR will stay subsonic.
    9mm subsonic is next for me in terms of sound suppression.

I don't notice much in the way of recoil reduction.

Silencershop has some nice guides for new purchasers...

https://www.silencershop.com/how-to-buy-a-silencer
    https://www.silencershop.com/blog/ca...ory-breakdown/

For full disclosure, I have a relationship with Silencershop.

If I were in your shoes, I'd start with a .22 suppressor.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Coctailer View Post
    I always recommend spending the extra $99 and get the BEST .22. Dead Air Mask
    I have some Gemtech Outback IIDs for under $250
    Leaning HEAVILY towards AAC Aviator 2 right now

Leaning HEAVILY towards AAC Aviator 2 right now
    I would avoid any can that doesn't have nested baffles.
    This keeps the tube clean to make it easier to take apart.
    Looks like the Aviator 2 has old K baffles.

Spectre II
    Warlock II
    Mask
    Ociulus
    etc

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Coctailer View Post
    I would avoid any can that doesn't have nested baffles.
    This keeps the tube clean to make it easier to take apart.
    Looks like the Aviator 2 has old K baffles.

Spectre II
    Warlock II
    Mask
    Ociulus
    etc
    It does, but it has 9 and first is stainless. Reviews are stellar other than reassembling after a cleaning. Danco recommended the IA Apex, which looks nice but the whole baffle is billet. I've read that the first should be steel. Agree or No?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast