Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

H&K Compacts in .40 and .45

I mentioned in another thread that I am considering adding a .40S&W to my slowly growing community in the safe. I visited a LGS, where I had the opportunity to examine an H&K USP .40 Compact, which, of course, fit me like the proverbial glove. If I were to continue looking at the H&K's, what should I be looking for? For example, with SIG's, I would look closely at the rails.

As an alternative, and to stay with the calibers I currently shoot, there is the H&K .45 Compact (or the USP .45 Compact).

If I were to acquire one, it would initially be a range gun. Not sure if it would become an EDC.

What are your likes and dislikes for either of these two choices?

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

usp compact in .40 is not a fun gun to shoot. I had a friend with elbow problems who felt that the torque on it was more than he could comfortably shoot. I never had that problem, but it took some time to get back on target for a follow up shot. I'm kind of a small guy though.
    I would recommend some range time with one before you sink the money.
    usp-c .40 was my first gun. I didn't know crap about pistols. I thought 9mm was probably too weak to be effective, and I didn't think I'd be able to handle something big like a .45...
    Nobody told me that compact polymer .40 is much harder to shoot than steel .45
    It's been in the safe for a loooong time now... but I'll probably keep it forever. Sometimes I'm sentimental.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by DrScaryGuy View Post
    usp compact in .40 is not a fun gun to shoot. I had a friend with elbow problems who felt that the torque on it was more than he could comfortably shoot. I never had that problem, but it took some time to get back on target for a follow up shot. I'm kind of a small guy though.
    I would recommend some range time with one before you sink the money.
    usp-c .40 was my first gun. I didn't know crap about pistols. I thought 9mm was probably too weak to be effective, and I didn't think I'd be able to handle something big like a .45...
    Nobody told me that compact polymer .40 is much harder to shoot than steel .45
    It's been in the safe for a loooong time now... but I'll probably keep it forever. Sometimes I'm sentimental.
    Proper grip and technique helps a lot. USP .40's are among the softest shooting .40's out there. I have the full size version but have shot the compact and had no issues like ^^^. Buy with confidence. HK has a lifetime warranty. There really is nothing to look out for. Be sure to look up the date codes so you can tell what year MFG it was by looking at the two letter code on the slide.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by dwcopple View Post
    Proper grip and technique helps a lot. USP .40's are among the softest shooting .40's out there. I have the full size version but have shot the compact and had no issues like ^^^. Buy with confidence. HK has a lifetime warranty. There really is nothing to look out for. Be sure to look up the date codes so you can tell what year MFG it was by looking at the two letter code on the slide.
    mine is still "pat. pend."
    And yeah, it was easier to shoot than other .40 pistols I've shot. not as easy as the full size USP in 40 I had, but not bad. I was just noticeably slower with it than I am 9mm. and it being my first pistol probably didn't help much.
    If Waverly was closer i'd loan it, but he's not...
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I'm not a big fan of shooting .40 because of the snappy recoil but I owned a USP 40 in the past, they don't really feel bad at all.

I am a Forum User
    I've got a couple USP compacts in 40. Never an issue and a fun reliable pistol to shoot. You should be able to get it for a pretty good price as people are shying away from anything 40 caliber theses days. Buy with confidence, the HK won't let you down and it will probably be the first of many more to come.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    I am not a fan of .40 by any means but IMO HKs are the best guns to shoot that caliber. Double recoil springs greatly tame down the recoil.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

Thanks for the replies and advice. I'll be putting the H&K's on the back burner for a while - I picked up a SIG P229 in .40 over the weekend.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyster View Post
    I am not a fan of .40 by any means but IMO HKs are the best guns to shoot that caliber. Double recoil springs greatly tame down the recoil.
    Uh. Sig 226/229, MIGHT be better shooters, in 40s&w. Certainly, less recoil.

I am a Forum User
    I've had a 229 Legion in .40 for months and haven't shot it. Guess it's time to give it some range time.

If you're looking for good .40 hollowpoints, here's a great deal. .36cpr + shipping

https://www.recoilgunworks.com/trade...s-p-46469.html