Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Removing dimples on 870 Express

I've seen a number of different ways: drill them out; use a socket and hammer it through; use the Brownells tool; etc...
    Has anyone ever just cut two channels into the replacement follower instead of adjusting the tube itself? I've got a WC high viz follower that i could probably just tape to the original follower and simply dremel a channel using it.
    Or, is it just easier to knock out/cut out the dimples?
    Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. Ronald Reagan

Gotta be somebody need some killin
    Major Benson Winifred Payne

Marketplace Moderator
    I CAREFULLY hammered the dimples out using the socket method. Then I used a brake cylinder hone with a lot of oil. It came out and works perfect. The follower can spin in the magazine if I am not mistaken. So unless the followere is lined up with the dimples, it will jam. It was not that hard to do. Just take your time and go slow. Find the correct series of sockets to use. Good Luck. MOOSE

Quote Originally Posted by moosefisher View Post
    I CAREFULLY hammered the dimples out using the socket method. Then I used a brake cylinder hone with a lot of oil. It came out and works perfect. The follower can spin in the magazine if I am not mistaken. So unless the followere is lined up with the dimples, it will jam. It was not that hard to do. Just take your time and go slow. Find the correct series of sockets to use. Good Luck. MOOSE
    thanks.
    7/8" deepwell is what I was told. Do you remember if that's the same size you used?
    Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    thanks.
    7/8" deepwell is what I was told. Do you remember if that's the same size you used?
    Not all 7/8" deep-well sockets have the same OD. Thin wall, standard and impact sockets will all be different. There will even be differences between manufacturers.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Went ahead and just drilled it out. Worked fine and took less than 20 minutes including smoothing out the edges.
    Total cost on the rifle was $260, so figure if I geek something up, I'm out less than a bad stipple job on a Block.

I just sand them out with a sanding drum on a dremel. The tube is thick enough you don't end up with a hole. Then I cold blue the spots.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I see you already did it, but bookmark rem870 for future stuff.

http://www.rem870.com/2010/01/17/rem...magazine-tube/

Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    I see you already did it, but bookmark rem870 for future stuff.

http://www.rem870.com/2010/01/17/rem...magazine-tube/
    I did actually look at that prior to working on mine. Pretty detailed info, but a little more effort than I was willing to put into it, truthfully.
    However, his end result is one of the sexiest Remy's I've ever seen. He did it up right.

I am a Forum User
    Used a small file on mine.

I am a Forum User
    I used a 1/2" braker bar from Harbor Freight. Put the handle end down first. The handle has a tapper that is the right diameter to press the tabs out. You can then put an extension on the end so you can hammer it back out easily. I used the barrel part to go on the outside to support the tube. I'm gonna guess there are a few braker bars that would work for this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast