Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Always run a scope through a box test, especially if your going to dial in elevation. If noting else, you can see if the click value is accurate...
    Active airport shooter

Quote Originally Posted by xtrema312 View Post
    I had about the same issue last year. I swapped the scope out and problems went away. Ended up sending back that brand-new scope to Leopold to have it reworked and returned. Set it up again this year and sighted it in without any issues. Erectors had some kind of an issue.
    I send one to Leopold to get target turrets installed. It came back with 12" erectors, and 15 moa dials!! Found that pretty easy on my box test, lol
    Last edited by JDG; 10-24-2018 at 09:11 AM.
    Active airport shooter

MGO Member
    I basically have the same set up as you. I have a Ruger AR15, Nikon 3x, scope and P-233 mount. Usually if the groups are large and wandering around the target the mount or scope is loose. Make sure you use a torque wrench to tighten the mount and the scope to factory specs, not to just tighten to what you think is tight. My AR is spot on with any ammo I shoot at 200yds.
    Last edited by denniscoon@aol.c; 10-09-2018 at 01:18 PM.

I am a Forum User
    I should be getting around to mounting the scope in the Aero Precision mount today or tomorrow, then hitting the range Thursday, hopefully. I'll report back with what I find.

I am a Forum User
    Mounted the Aero Precision scope mount last night. I gotta say, it feels way more rigid than the Nikon M mount. The Nikon mount just uses two bolts to index on the rail, and pinches the rail. The Aero mount has three bolts, three index squares so it doesn't move on the rail, and it actually has a plate that clamps onto the rail instead of the Nikon mount. I have high hopes....we shall see tomorrow.

I am a Forum User
    I'm beginning to think it's the Frontier 75 gr 5.56 ammo. I had cheap .223 55 grain, and although it did not group well, the spread was consistent. I sighted it in at 100 yards with that, it grouped about 3-4".

This picture was my first re-sight in with the Frontier 75 gr 5.56 ammo at 100 yards. First three shots were the group to the bottom right. The next few shots all ended up to the left and all over the place. Scope mount is still solid. When I was sighting in with the cheap .223, the adjustments on the scope did adjust properly. I'm going to see if I can find some different ammo for it, and if that doesn't improve, I'll disassemble the upper and reassemble. At this point I don't think it's the scope.

Name:  20181023_135706.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  71.3 KB
    Last edited by GreaseMonkeySRT; 10-24-2018 at 07:44 AM.

What does this rifle look like? How are you shooting it? Your stock fit can make a huge impact on groups in an AR, and if your using a bipod vs a rest or bags, could make a vast difference. Trying to group with a MOE stock, is like you might as well be using irons...
    Last edited by JDG; 10-24-2018 at 09:29 AM.
    Active airport shooter

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    I'm beginning to think it's the Frontier 75 gr 5.56 ammo. I had cheap .223 55 grain, and although it did not group well, the spread was consistent. I sighted it in at 100 yards with that, it grouped about 3-4".

This picture was my first re-sight in with the Frontier 75 gr 5.56 ammo at 100 yards. First three shots were the group to the bottom right. The next few shots all ended up to the left and all over the place. Scope mount is still solid. When I was sighting in with the cheap .223, the adjustments on the scope did adjust properly. I'm going to see if I can find some different ammo for it, and if that doesn't improve, I'll disassemble the upper and reassemble. At this point I don't think it's the scope.
    Was this series of shots from a clean barrel? How severely is the barrel fouling?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JDG View Post
    What does this rifle look like? How are you shooting it? Your stock fit can make a huge impact on groups in an AR, and if your using a bipod vs a rest or bags, could make a vast difference. Trying to group with a MOE stock, is like you might as well be using irons...
    You mentioned 2" groups at 50 yards? You have serious issues!!
    From OP:

Ruger Elite assembled lower, PSA 5.56 1:7 twist 20 inch barreled upper. I mounted a Nikon M-223 mount and M-223 scope on the gun. Same scope mounted in an Aero Precision mount.

I have a Magpul Bipod on the front, Magpul stock on the back. I'm shooting it off a bench indoors. It's obvious there's something up with the gun, ammo, scope or a combination thereof. My Remington 700 has no problem shooting sub-MOA with me behind the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    From OP:

Ruger Elite assembled lower, PSA 5.56 1:7 twist 20 inch barreled upper. I mounted a Nikon M-223 mount and M-223 scope on the gun. Same scope mounted in an Aero Precision mount.

I have a Magpul Bipod on the front, Magpul stock on the back. I'm shooting it off a bench indoors. It's obvious there's something up with the gun, ammo, scope or a combination thereof. My Remington 700 has no problem shooting sub-MOA with me behind the trigger.
    That still doesn't answer much, is the stock perfectly tight like the R700? Are you shooting the R700 off of a bipod too? You add a bipod in with a loose MOE stock, and a good sub MOA shooter on a R700 might shoot 3MOA on an AR-15. It might be you if all things are not equal is all I'm saying. I know from experience shooting loose stocked ARs, and off bipods off a hard surface....
    Active airport shooter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast