Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Triggers will make a difference too. The M700 single stage is fairly crisp and light, while a lot of the stock AR triggers I have pulled are heavy, long, gritty and have gobs of over travel.

JDG is probably headed in the right direction with his thoughts on the set up you have. A good steady front and REAR rest, tight component fit and good ammo (Hornady is not bad stuff but your rifle might prefer something else) should give you ~1.5"/2" groups...
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    Was this series of shots from a clean barrel? How severely is the barrel fouling?
    Barrel was clean going into the range. This group was after about 30 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by JDG View Post
    That still doesn't answer much, is the stock perfectly tight like the R700? Are you shooting the R700 off of a bipod too? You add a bipod in with a loose MOE stock, and a good sub MOA shooter on a R700 might shoot 3MOA on an AR-15. It might be you if all things are not equal is all I'm saying. I know from experience shooting loose stocked ARs, and off bipods off a hard surface....
    Stock is tight. Bipod on the front on a bench, read is being supported with a squeeze bag being held by my left hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    Triggers will make a difference too. The M700 single stage is fairly crisp and light, while a lot of the stock AR triggers I have pulled are heavy, long, gritty and have gobs of over travel.

JDG is probably headed in the right direction with his thoughts on the set up you have. A good steady front and REAR rest, tight component fit and good ammo (Hornady is not bad stuff but your rifle might prefer something else) should give you ~1.5"/2" groups...
    It's a Ruger AR-556 Elite lower. The trigger is a very nice two stage set-up, on par with my LaRue 2 stage triggers I have in two other ARs.

I'm going to try some 5.56 55 grain in the next week, see if groups are any different. If not, I may just fully disassemble the upper and reassemble.

I am a Forum User
    Could the twist rate of the barrel be mismarked?

I always had the best luck shooting 69gr SMKs, when I was going for bug holes. Not sure if you reload, but 55gr Nosler BTs and the 69gr SMKs, will not disappoint. Seeing you can put 3 holes in about a .75"group, it looks like you can manage your rifle, I certainly would not rule out the scope. I pounded my shoulder for an hour with a buddy with his ML, shooting 150 grains worth of pellets just to find his Nikon was junk. Nikon fixed it for free, and it holds zero now, and the bullet drop reticle is pretty close.
    Last edited by JDG; 10-26-2018 at 09:32 AM.
    Active airport shooter

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JDG View Post
    I always had the best luck shooting 69gr SMKs, when I was going for bug holes. Not sure if you reload, but 55gr Nosler BTs and the 69gr SMKs, will not disappoint. Seeing you can put 3 holes in about a .75"group, it looks like you can manage your rifle, I certainly would not rule out the scope. I pounded my shoulder for an hour with a buddy with his ML, shooting 150 grains worth of pellets just to find his Nikon was junk. Nikon fixed it for free, and it holds zero now, and the bullet drop reticle is pretty close.
    I'm going to try a few different kinds of ammo first. The scope does adjust, and with the cheap .223 I was shooting the groups weren't great but they were consistent during the sight in process and the scope adjustments followed. I wish I would've taken pictures of that, but oh well. Thanks for the help everyone!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123