Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GUN OIL

Quote Originally Posted by dwcopple View Post
    Was it Hoppes SOLVENT or OIL? There's a HUGE difference. No.9 to clean, Mobil1 to lube. The orange bottle of Hoppes OIL has been proven to just be drug store mineral oil.
    Have used Hoppes #9 SOLVENT exclusively. Trade off on Hoppes or Rem Oil depending on the deal. Both are ridiculously expensive for what you get.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

I am a Forum User
    One hour and thrity eight minutes from Camp Perry.
    This all said, there is something about the smell of Hoppes. I also use synthetic 0w20 Mobil 1. Soooooo much cheaper. I run it in all my guns, especially rifles.

All of you do know that Hoppe's #9 is really old school tech?

It was initially developed as a Black Powder solvent.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    All of you do know that Hoppe's #9 is really old school tech?

It was initially developed as a Black Powder solvent.
    That was the "old formula", Hoppe's removed the nitro-benzine from it around 25-30 yrs ago and it hasn't been the same since.

Still has that old formula smell though.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    I've been using Gunzilla now for awhile,with good results.

Years ago I read a U.S. Army manual that informed the reader that automobile oil (then) has sulfur in it and thus should not be used in firearms as that element will allow the piece to rust. I never understood this directive as, to me, steel is steel and rusts the same. Perhaps Mobile 1 has improved the formula- omitting sulfur- or the manual's information was incorrect. Anybody have an opinion on this matter?

I am a Forum User
    army manuals are full of %^&*

I am a Forum User
    I have been using Weapon Shield, a lubricant developed by George Fennell. Weapon Shield has been rebranded from its initial product name FP 10 that was released and spread through the USPSA competition community back in the 90s. If you go to YouTube George has a whole bunch of comparison videos of weapon Shield to just about every other weapon lubricant you can think of. Very interesting videos and from what I understand FBI Firearms unit in Quantico has done independent lubricity testing and weapon Shield is the best small arms lubricant they have tested to date. But that's just my two cents and there's a lot of good lubricants out there.

I am a Forum User
    Only Mobil 1.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Years ago I read a U.S. Army manual that informed the reader that automobile oil (then) has sulfur in it and thus should not be used in firearms as that element will allow the piece to rust. I never understood this directive as, to me, steel is steel and rusts the same. Perhaps Mobile 1 has improved the formula- omitting sulfur- or the manual's information was incorrect. Anybody have an opinion on this matter?
    Sulphur is a deliberate addition to lubricating oils, including the PAO base synthetics like Mobil 1. It is a necessary anti-wear additive. You will often see an oil described as low, medium, or high SAPS (sulfated ash, phosphorous, sulphur). High SAPS oils have the greatest anti-wear properties, but damage catalytic convertors and diesel particulate filters. EPA is forcing lower SAPS oils on the market as CC and DPF usage expands.

The ability of a lubricating oil to prevent iron and steel corrosion is a function of its TBN (total base number). The higher the TBN, the better the corrosion protection. Brass, copper, silver, and nickel are a different case. Higher SAPS oils increase corrosion of these metals, regardless of TBN. Die cast zinc may or may not be corroded by high SAPS oils, but this is quite complex.

As long as you are lubricating steel and aluminum, the higher the SAPS and TBN in your oil, the better.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast