Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GUN OIL

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Revdrshad View Post
    I stopped using Remoil years and years ago when I had some go rancid between the bolt carrier and buffer on my original Armalite AR. I will never use Remoil ever again.
    Tell me about it going rancid. Did it just thicken into a goo or something?
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    Tell me about it going rancid. Did it just thicken into a goo or something?
    I'm curious as well. I have Rem oil that I bought over 20 years ago (when I get a great buy on something, I stock up), and it looks as good as the day it was purchased.

I am a Forum User
    Copper, nickel, and ferric (III) oxide catalyze the oxidation of mineral oils, quickly turning them into sludge. Copper and ferric (III) oxide are used to accelerate oxidation in laboratory bench tests used to grade mineral oils for service. Copper and nickel are both used in the tri plate typically applied to AR buffers; some ferric (III) oxide is created from steel wear particles in an AR. Oil cans are typically made from chromium plated steel. Chromium does not catalyze the oxidation of mineral oils to prevent rancidivation in storage.

It is likely that the batch of RemOil that Revdrshad used did not have adequate oxidation stability, which is derived from additives. Anyone's guess whether this is typical. Branded mineral oil blends are frequently resourced, except for those made by the majors.

MGO Board of Directors

The reason that I ask is that I have a Browning semi 30.06 that the bolt was stodgy in cold weather. I took it to a gunsmith 5 years ago, maybe more, to have it cleaned thoroughly.
    This deer season the bolt did not slam shut for the second round. Luckily, I am such a precise shot that the second shot is never needed.

When I got home, I used a degreaser and removed SLUDGE from the side of the action in probably some inside too.

Rem oil remnants?

I used CLP and I can shoot as many deer as I can now until the smoke gets too thick to see.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

I guess I would call it "sludgy and discolored." It reminded me of an old bottle of vegetable oil, where you get a ring of dried goo around the cap. What I got was a ring (from the back of the BCG) on the surface/face of the buffer. Which was sticky and discolored. (darker brown, instead of lighter tan/yellowish.)
    This was, coincidentally right after a distant friend was talking about "How Remoil will go rancid on you."

I could never explain it as well as 10x25mm did, but I can tell you it was an all factory Armalite from 1997. So, as far as I know, just a blued finish BCG.
    That rifle typically sits in my safe, but I'll try and take a look at it in the next day or so... Maybe shed some more light on it.

It seems the Lucas I put on the "Sludged" BCG/buffer all but eliminated the stained and sludgy Remoil. So pictures didn't seem necessary.

Either way, I decided years ago the Remoil was junk. Ymmv.

In Memoriam Forum User
    My favorite for over 50 years:

G96 1055P Complete Triple-Action Gun Treatment

http://www.g96.com/

Smells great, no gummy residue, won't cause problems with firing pins in striker-fired pistols, clean up is a breeze!

When the job calls for grease:

Mil-Comm TW25B Gun Grease

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2542573734

I am a Forum User
    Mobil 1 in what weight?

In Memoriam Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by americanexpress View Post
    Mobil 1 in what weight?
    Generally I'd go with 5w-20w.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Years ago I read a U.S. Army manual that informed the reader that automobile oil (then) has sulfur in it and thus should not be used in firearms as that element will allow the piece to rust. I never understood this directive as, to me, steel is steel and rusts the same. Perhaps Mobile 1 has improved the formula- omitting sulfur- or the manual's information was incorrect. Anybody have an opinion on this matter?
    mobile one is full synthetic.

Maybe they did not trust troops to use USED motor oil.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast