Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The lowest common denominator is very low. They refuse to learn, take direction, listen. They think good intentions is all that matters.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocowheats View Post
    I have little issue with the Groupon deals and I do think they are a potentially good way to gain new customers or even create new shooters. The problem, as I see it, is that the people buying these sorts of Groupons are not typically experienced shooters, which raises a safety concern.

So again, nothing wrong with having a shooting deal Groupon, but I see that they tend to attract new shooters, which is great! The training part is where these Groupons tend to fall short, IMO. They should have a disclaimer that if you are an un-experienced shooter, additional charges may be applied to get you the proper training beforehand or you may not qualify to use the Groupon.

To sum it all up: If your goal is to attract minimally experienced/un-experienced shooters, then your business plan needs to be able to accommodate the needed training, for everybody's safety. Eradication of negligence through education!
    In Wolverine's defense, they did ask people if they needed/wanted some instruction prior to them taking the lane.
    Washtenaw Sportsman's Club member
    NRA Certified RSO (Thanks MGO)
    NRA Member

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by Cocowheats View Post
    I have little issue with the Groupon deals and I do think they are a potentially good way to gain new customers or even create new shooters. The problem, as I see it, is that the people buying these sorts of Groupons are not typically experienced shooters, which raises a safety concern.
    I was just shooting, and somehow 2 japanese renters in the lane next to me managed to mix up their ammo. 9mm does not cycle a .40 pistol
    It does fire though... and can be somewhat unsafe, so after I noticed them have 2 shots in a row that didn't cycle, I dropped what i was doing and popped over to figure out what was going on before a RSO had a chance to get to them. Not sure what went wrong in the front of the shop but i let them know that they let somebody messed up.
    Renters were nice enough though, and I didn't notice them doing anything stupid except a little beginner's trigger discipline. I let them try my new LCP (to test if it cycles in noob hands), then gave them each a turn loading and firing a few shots through my AR SBR with silencer.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

Quote Originally Posted by DrScaryGuy View Post
    I was just shooting, and somehow 2 japanese renters in the lane next to me managed to mix up their ammo. 9mm does not cycle a .40 pistol
    It does fire though
    ... and can be somewhat unsafe, so after I noticed them have 2 shots in a row that didn't cycle, I dropped what i was doing and popped over to figure out what was going on before a RSO had a chance to get to them. Not sure what went wrong in the front of the shop but i let them know that they let somebody messed up.
    Renters were nice enough though, and I didn't notice them doing anything stupid except a little beginner's trigger discipline. I let them try my new LCP (to test if it cycles in noob hands), then gave them each a turn loading and firing a few shots through my AR SBR with silencer.

You might be surprised at how many of those little chalice shaped empties I see on the range floor. I suspect a lot of what should be more knowledgeable shooters manage to mix them too.

Don't know what range you shot at but it might be in managements favor to limit the caliber of rentals to just one at a time on a lane and make sure the renter is aware of the cartridge he should be using regardless of the renters claimed experience.

BTW .40's don't work well in .45's either. This guy trashed a brand new Ruger.

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Quote Originally Posted by fatskater View Post
    Can we do retroactive abortion?
    That would be a"Postpartum" abortion.....
    "A warped mind is a terrible thing to waste"

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by DrScaryGuy View Post
    What are your thoughts on those groupon deals where people get an hour of pistol rental and ammo (he asked, 95% sure he already knows the answer)?
    What's wrong with saving money? What's the issue with groupon?

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    You might be surprised at how many of those little chalice shaped empties I see on the range floor. I suspect a lot of what should be more knowledgeable shooters manage to mix them too.

Don't know what range you shot at but it might be in managements favor to limit the caliber of rentals to just one at a time on a lane and make sure the renter is aware of the cartridge he should be using regardless of the renters claimed experience.

BTW .40's don't work well in .45's either. This guy trashed a brand new Ruger.
    You know, I didn't quite understand what I was seeing the first time or two I looked at that. maybe I was tired, maybe I was on my phone...
    he fired brass through the barrel... that's just impressive.
    Was it really ruined, or maybe just needed some dowel work and possibly a new barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    What's wrong with saving money? What's the issue with groupon?
    Nothing. It's a great way for people with no idea what they're doing to get a taste of a new hobby for cheap. We use it from time to time.
    But most hobbies don't involve holding explosives in your hand or carry the risk of instantly killing people through negligence if you're not paying enough attention during the safety brief...
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

You know, I didn't quite understand what I was seeing the first time or two I looked at that. maybe I was tired, maybe I was on my phone...
    he fired brass through the barrel... that's just impressive.
    Was it really ruined, or maybe just needed some dowel work and possibly a new barrel?

He had both 40 and 45 cal pistols and loaded magazines in his bag at the range and, when he was emptying it on the lane bench he found a loose cartridge in the bottom. He had a 45 magazine in his hand and was chatting with a buddy not really paying attention and managed to slip the cartridge which was a loaded 40 cal in a 45 mag and inserted it in his new 1911 then racked the slide, fired. Nothing. He thought he had a FTF and racked and fired once more. The 40 had somehow hung up in the barrel deep enough to allow the 45 to chamber and was set off by the fired 45 behind it. The empty case and 45 bullet were lodged at the muzzle, barrel expanded to the point the slide had to be cut to remove it, one grip was split, mag blown out the bottom of the well and the frame had a small crack.
    Yep ruined.
    BTW he is a very experienced shooter, the kind you would never expect to see make this kind of mistake. He said it hurt like ^&**.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    He had both 40 and 45 cal pistols and loaded magazines in his bag at the range and, when he was emptying it on the lane bench he found a loose cartridge in the bottom. He had a 45 magazine in his hand and was chatting with a buddy not really paying attention and managed to slip the cartridge which was a loaded 40 cal in a 45 mag and inserted it in his new 1911 then racked the slide, fired. Nothing. He thought he had a FTF and racked and fired once more. The 40 had somehow hung up in the barrel deep enough to allow the 45 to chamber and was set off by the fired 45 behind it. The empty case and 45 bullet were lodged at the muzzle, barrel expanded to the point the slide had to be cut to remove it, one grip was split, mag blown out the bottom of the well and the frame had a small crack.
    Yep ruined.
    BTW he is a very experienced shooter, the kind you would never expect to see make this kind of mistake. He said it hurt like ^&**.
    oh, yeah, that would mess some stuff up.
    I thought it was a .40 that had fired but not cycled/extracted, so racking another one pushed it in and the second one just jammed everything up.
    but i like your story better.

I am a Forum User
    Seeing that one reminds me of the little girl with a fully automatic submachine gun that lost control of it and killed the instructor standing next to her....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123