Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Member Forum User

Didn't have to pick my DMU with a deer combo license?

So normally I hunt up north in the Oscoda area and I get a regular license and an antlerless deer license. When I get the antlerless license I have to provide them with the DMU for the area I am hunting in. Well this year I just went and got the deer combo license instead of the separate licenses. The deer combo just has a restricted and unrestricted tag, and both tags allow you to take an antlerless deer. When I asked for the license they just printed it out for me, so I asked them if I needed to have my DMU on it and they said you don't need to pick a DMU out for the the deer combo.

I couldn't find any info in the 2018 Hunter's Digest manual so I was just curious as this was my first year getting the combo license. Is that really the case? I just want to make sure I am following all the rules. If it matters, I hunt on state land.

I am a Forum User
    Nope, don't need to provide a DMU, just like the regular deer license you've been buying. And as you stated, you have been providing the DMU for the antlerless license you usually buy.

I am a Forum User
    you need to read the ambiguous Deer guide again.

A combo license does NOT allow you to take antlerless deer.

Unless you are in certain DMU (Counties) designated in the digest.

I am a Forum User
    i think you can on first licence during bow. and later during late doe

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by pkuptruck View Post
    you need to read the ambiguous Deer guide again.

A combo license does NOT allow you to take antlerless deer.

Unless you are in certain DMU (Counties) designated in the digest.
    I hunt in DMU 487 and according to the digest that is the only DMU you can take antlerless deer in with the combo during firearm season.

MGO Member
    We usually hunt in DMU 487, but may not this year. The all out bait ban is not as concerning as the transport of deer home after harvest. The way I read it...you won't be able to butcher them at home.
    This is from the new rules.

Carcass Transport:

Hunters may bring carcasses from a lower risk area to a higher risk area, i.e. from outside of the CWD Management Zone into the Zone or from the CWD Management Zone into the Core Area.
    Hunters may not transport whole deer carcasses from the CWD Core Area to the CWD Management Zone or remove carcasses from the CWD Management Zone to the rest of the state with two exceptions:
    The deer must be properly checked within 24 hours of harvest at a DNR check station or head drop box, OR
    Only these portions of the deer may be transported: hides, deboned meat, quarters or other parts of the cervid that do not have any part of the spinal column or head attached, finished taxidermy products, cleaned teeth, antlers, or antlers attached to a skullcap which have been cleaned of brain and muscle tissue.

I am a Forum User
    3rd holler on the right then up the road a piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by john.41 View Post
    We usually hunt in DMU 487, but may not this year. The all out bait ban is not as concerning as the transport of deer home after harvest. The way I read it...you won't be able to butcher them at home.

Carcass Transport:

Hunters may bring carcasses from a lower risk area to a higher risk area, i.e. from outside of the CWD Management Zone into the Zone or from the CWD Management Zone into the Core Area.
    Hunters may not transport whole deer carcasses from the CWD Core Area to the CWD Management Zone or remove carcasses from the CWD Management Zone to the rest of the state with two exceptions:
    The deer must be properly checked within 24 hours of harvest at a DNR check station or head drop box, OR
    Only these portions of the deer may be transported: hides, deboned meat, quarters or other parts of the cervid that do not have any part of the spinal column or head attached, finished taxidermy products, cleaned teeth, antlers, or antlers attached to a skullcap which have been cleaned of brain and muscle tissue.
    They are going to have trouble with the transport rule change for the new CWD core area.

Who is going to pay 80 bucks for a nasty processor to butcher before it can be taken out of the area let alone to pay the 80 bucks and then have to wait to see if the meat is tainted with CWD? 7 to 14 day later .... yes you deer has CWD so now your out 80 bucks at the processor and a 20 dollar tag.
    Idiots!

Who is going to have time to wait for the processor to butcher all those deer?

Butcher in a crude deer camp before you can take your meat home?

The DNR is going to get ZERO compliance with that unrealistic transport rule.

or nobody will hunt those areas and then no thinning of the CWD herd will take place.

How many new DNR jobs have been created to make sure of 100% compliance for the no transport rule did they hire LMAO!

Idiots!

Quote Originally Posted by john.41 View Post

Carcass Transport:

What do the CWD transport rules have to do with DMU 487?

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluegill View Post
    What do the CWD transport rules have to do with DMU 487?
    http://www.michigan.gov/images/emerg...s_357506_7.jpg

You are correct. I had confused the new CWD regulations with the DMU 487 Tuberculosis regulations.
    Glad you made me do more research. DMU 487 is still GTG this year for our hunting party.
    Not going to be much fun for those who hunt in Mid-West Michigan though.
    Thanks bluegill.

Happy hunting. CWD will eventually be everywhere and then the transport rules will go away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast