Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    I pronounce it Rem oil LOL

I am a Forum User
    I've always called it aftershave.

I am a Forum User
    My wife pronounces it " you used that stuff in the house again didnt you.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by alcoholbanshee View Post
    My wife pronounces it " you used that stuff in the house again didnt you.
    That's funny, my wife says the same exact thing!

I am a Forum User
    Captain Frank A. Hoppe was the son of a German immigrant father and was born in 1869. The family name is from Friesland, up near Denmark. The local dialect is called Plattdeutsch. They would have pronounced the name HOPeeee.

His history, from the Story of Philadelphia, edited by J. St. George Joyce in 1919:

Frank A. Hoppe, manufacturer of rifle cleaning compounds, was born in Philadelphia, May 15, 1869. He attended the public schools of this city and, in 1882, while still a boy, began his business career with William Waterall, paint manufacturer, with whom he remained for five years. He then became associated with Achenbach & Miller, taking charge of their paint department, in which position he remained for twenty years.

During this time Mr. Hoppe was a member of the National Guard of Pennsylvania. When there arose a difficulty over cleaning a new type of high-power rifle the Government had adopted, Mr. Hoppe became interested in the problem and after much experimenting discovered a chemical compound which thoroughly cleaned and preserved firearms of every kind, and he called his discovery Nitro Powder Solvent, No. 9. It is the first compound of it's character that has been endorsed by nearly every military authority and is the only one that satisfactorily removes burnt powder from high-powered rifles. Mr. Hoppe started in business for himself, putting his cleaning compound on the market. There was a great demand for it and the business grew until the product became universally known and used.

Mr. Hoppe is a life member of Melita Lodge No. 295, F. and A. M.; Kadosh Commandery, Knights Templar; Lu Lu Temple, A. A. O. M. N. S., and also of Lu Lu Patrol. He is also a member of the Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce; the Philadelphia Rifle Club; the New Jersey State Rifle Association; the Philadelphia Tall Cedar of Lebanon, Forest No. 10, and the Pen and Pencil Club. He is treasurer of the Pennsylvania State Rifle Association and of the Harry Davis Republican Club of the Thirty-eighth Ward.

In 1901 Mr. Hoppe married Mary A. Bell, of Philadelphia. They had two children, only one of whom is now living, Frank C. Hoppe.

Mr. Hoppe's military record dates back to his youth. He enlisted as a private in Company D, Second Regiment, National Guard of Pennsylvania, June 28, 1887. He re-enlisted in Company E, November 10, 1896, and was promoted to the rank of sergeant June 26 the following year. He served in the Spanish-American War and received his honorable discharge at the end of that conflict, being mustered out October 17, 1898. He then enlisted again as a private in Company E, Second Regiment, and was promoted to the rank of sergeant in October, 1899. In 1900 he was elected Second Lieutenant and September 25 of the same year was elected First Lieutenant and July 11. 1903, he was elected Captain. He retired as Captain, N. G. P., in 1916. He served as Battalion Adjutant, Sixth Regiment, from December 15, 1903 to 1910. Mr. Hoppe was also a member of the Executive Committee of the Home Defense Reserve and was Captain, commanding Company E, Fourth division. Mr. Hoppe resides at 1917 Somerset Street, Philadelphia, and his business address is 2314 North Eighth Street.

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    Anyone ever wonder what happened to #1 to 8?
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by december1979 View Post
    That's funny, my wife says the same exact thing!
    Mine too.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    Anyone ever wonder what happened to #1 to 8?
    If we did that we would have to question Jack Danials also.

Quote Originally Posted by Quads View Post
    I've always called it aftershave.
    That's what I'm saying, love that smell.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MGO Member
    >> Captain Frank A. Hoppe was the son of a German immigrant father and was born in 1869. The family name is from Friesland, up near Denmark. The local dialect is called Plattdeutsch. They would have pronounced the name HOPeeee.

They would have pronounced it 'HOP-uh, with a stress on the HOP and a short 'o' sound -- as in 'hop skip and jump' -- and the 'e' at the end a short throwaway sound that is hard for Americans go get right.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast