Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Member Forum User

Remington 1100 20 ga ?

Just purchased a used, but very good condition 1100 20ga. However I took it out to a pheasant ranch today to give her the test drive and the Butt developed some cracks.. See pics. Wondering if the 1100 12ga forend will fit or a good way to fix it before it splits completely... 20ga crack 1.jpg20ga crack 1.jpg20gauge crack2.jpg

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by CStickney View Post
    Just purchased a used, but very good condition 1100 20ga. However I took it out to a pheasant ranch today to give her the test drive and the Butt developed some cracks.. See pics. Wondering if the 1100 12ga forend will fit or a good way to fix it before it splits completely... 20ga crack 1.jpg20ga crack 1.jpg20gauge crack2.jpg
    I've repaired fine cracks in wood stocks and traditional bows with Loctite 406.
    It's a super low viscosity super glue.
    Remove the stock.
    Carefully apply the glue to the crack, a small amount at a time.
    Capillary action will pull it in to the crack. The glue is very thin.
    When you think the crack is full, use a clamp to fully close the crack.
    Watch for glue squeeze out and deal with it quickly, or you will have a mess.
    Practice the clamping before glueing.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

A stock from a 12 ga may fit as some of the 20 ga 1100's were built on a 12 ga frame. If your serial number ends in a N or X it is a 12 ga frame. K or U letters are Lightweight frames and are a real 20 ga frame. I would try to fix it first but also see why it cracked so much on the first hunt? Something looks wrong with that much damage.

I am a Forum User
    Use of the Loctite for crack repairs is something pretty common to the traditional bow world. First thing I would do is get the butt pad off it and loosen the bolt holding it to the frame. Could be just dry wood, dropped real hard on the butt at some point or some other issue. I can't help wondering if that bolt isn't over torqued or real tight and the woods swelled at some point creating a lot of extra pressure.

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    A stock from a 12 ga may fit as some of the 20 ga 1100's were built on a 12 ga frame. If your serial number ends in a N or X it is a 12 ga frame. K or U letters are Lightweight frames and are a real 20 ga frame. I would try to fix it first but also see why it cracked so much on the first hunt? Something looks wrong with that much damage.
    Yeah I was wondering why it cracked as well. It looks like a brand new gun even though I know they haven't been manufactured in 20+ years. I took it apart yesterday and the original sticker was still on the piston tube (not sure the real name, see pic) the crack looks superficial like it will just chip and not completely crack. I am not really sure if the previous owner ever fired the thing.

I know its probably not much to worry about but I take very good care of my guns and hate when they get dinged up even though I hunt with them A LOT. I am a firm beleiver if you take care of your guns they will out live you.

Serial # starts with a P...Sticker.jpg

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrema312 View Post
    Use of the Loctite for crack repairs is something pretty common to the traditional bow world. First thing I would do is get the butt pad off it and loosen the bolt holding it to the frame. Could be just dry wood, dropped real hard on the butt at some point or some other issue. I can't help wondering if that bolt isn't over torqued or real tight and the woods swelled at some point creating a lot of extra pressure.
    This is a good question, I was thinking the opposite, that it might be too loose. How do you know how much torque to put on it? I took it off yesterday and screwed it back on and now I am wondering if I tightened it too much.

MGO Member
    Wood stock Remington 1100s have a steel spacer between the stock and receiver if it is missing you will get that kind of damage.

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by pathfinder 101 View Post
    Wood stock Remington 1100s have a steel spacer between the stock and receiver if it is missing you will get that kind of damage.
    There was no spacer between the wood and metal. Is this was you are referringspacer.jpg to?

MGO Member
    All the Remington 1100s I have had with wood stocks have a steel spacer the same shape as the inside of the receiver about 1/16 in thick with a hole in the center. Not quite like your photo. Check midway usa look up Remington 1100 stock bearing plate there is a photo of both large and small frame part's.
    Last edited by pathfinder 101; 10-17-2018 at 02:07 PM.

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by pathfinder 101 View Post
    All the Remington 1100s I have had with wood stocks have a steel spacer the same shape as the inside of the receiver about 1/16 in thick with a hole in the center. Not quite like your photo. Check midway usa look up Remington 1100 stock bearing plate there is a photo of both large and small frame part's.
    Found it, thanks easy $10 fix, now I just have to find a replacement stock since I am very OCD with imperfections with my guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast