Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Best handgun to attach an RMR to for plinking?

I’m trying to decide whether I should go with a Glock 34 MOS or a Springfield OSP 9mm. Are there other manufacturers that I don’t know about that have this option? Kinda wish the OSP came in the 5.25 inch.

Or...

A different caliber maybe? .22lr or 10mm? And then the Springfield XDM comes out with the 10mm finally but no option to attach a reflex site. Grrrrr!

Regardless I’m thinkin of getting the Trijicon RMR with green dot and figuring out which handgun to purchase to attach it to later.

I am a Forum User
    Glock. When u get bored, you can trick it out, cheaply.

I am a Forum User
    My vote is G40 MOS and plink some deer. Next is G19 gen 5. Lot more fun than a 22 and do it all pistol. For just plain fun plinking MK4 lite with a decent dot because a Trijicon RMR needs to rock on a center fire.

I think Doug does this to many guns.

If you are not stuck on poly striker fired look at cz75, and sign p226

Quote Originally Posted by xtrema312 View Post
    My vote is G40 MOS and plink some deer. ...
    Agreed

Got some nice 180gr handloads doing 1420fps/817fpe from 10gr 800X
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "The path to true knowledge is paved with wasted money" copyright postban forever!
    NRA Endowment Member, 2AF Life Member, GOA Patriot Member

Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    I think Doug does this to many guns.

If you are not stuck on poly striker fired look at cz75, and sign p226
    I would not recommend either of those for use with a RMR. You cannot have both iron suppressor height sights and a red dot. This is for sure not possible with the CZ 75, and also I believe not possible with the P226.

Quote Originally Posted by thedonn007 View Post
    I would not recommend either of those for use with a RMR. You cannot have both iron suppressor height sights and a red dot. This is for sure not possible with the CZ 75, and also I believe not possible with the P226.
    Suarez does the 226 and CZC has done 75s that have cowitness irons. Both utilizing the RMR for the RDS.

Still, not ideal IMO.

Sig 226

CZ 75

I would HIGHLY recommend having a slide milled for the exact optic you want to mount on it and avoiding any adapter plates, like many of the optic ready pistols on the market use.

Doing away with mounting plates usually means the optic will sit lower on the slide. It also leaves 2 less screws to potentially loosen. The adapter plate usually screws into the slide, then the optic into the plate. So, if the screws for the plate to slide loosen, you now have to remove the optic to tighten them. Sort of stupid...

Having the slide cut for the exact optic you are using will ensure a tight fit to the slide. This alleviates some of the gforce that the mounting screws take while your slide slams back and forth.

Aside from fit in the hands and reliability, the optic sitting as low in the slide as possible is one of most important factors in choosing a RDS host, IMO. Glocks are going to be one of lower attainable cuts available. The RMR sits pretty low on the P10C as well. The RMR can be mounted to a plethora of guns these days...

Talk with Doug over at ATEi. He does slides cut to your optic and can do more than just Glocks. He can be PM'd on here as well; username=dougwg.
    Last edited by Cocowheats; 10-15-2018 at 12:09 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Since you are using a rmr, a long sight picture is not necessary, so a long slide is not necessary. While I like glocks, they are not the most accurate guns so again no need for as long slide. My 4" barrel SIG 229 out shoots my 6" barrel G40 easily. If accuracy is what you are looking for, then go for an accurate gun, but understand, RMR sights are much less accurate than good iron sights. So to be short, put it on what you want to shoot for plinking, since the sight will be less accurate than most guns. If you want an accurate red dot, then go for an ultramatch 2.

I wouldn't say a 3.25moa RMR is less accurate than irons. I could see the 6moa argument, but it's not bad with the 3.25 as long as you know how you got it sighted in.

At 25yds, that 3.25 moa dot is .8125". IMO, that's not too big to deal with and still pull off good accuacy.

Granted, if you want every bit of accuracy you can squeeze, then a 2moa dot would probably be even better.

Purely my own opinions. Everybody's eyes are different.
    Last edited by Cocowheats; 10-15-2018 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocowheats View Post
    Suarez does the 226 and CZC has done 75s that have cowitness irons. Both utilizing the RMR for the RDS.

Still, not ideal IMO.

I would HIGHLY recommend having a slide milled for the exact optic you want to mount on it and avoiding any adapter plates, like many of the optic ready pistols on the market use.

Doing away with mounting plates usually means the optic will sit lower on the slide. It also leaves 2 less screws to potentially loosen. The adapter plate usually screws into the slide, then the optic into the plate. So, if the screws for the plate to slide loosen, you now have to remove the optic to tighten them. Sort of stupid...

Having the slide cut for the exact optic you are using will ensure a tight fit to the slide. This alleviates some of the gforce that the mounting screws take while your slide slams back and forth.

Aside from fit in the hands and reliability, the optic sitting as low in the slide as possible is one of most important factors in choosing a RDS host, IMO. Glocks are going to be one of lower attainable cuts available. The RMR sits pretty low on the P10C as well. The RMR can be mounted to a plethora of guns these days...

Talk with Doug over at ATEi. He does slides cut to your optic and can do more than just Glocks. He can be PM'd on here as well; username=dougwg.
    Huh, well thanks. I talked to Dave from CGW about milling my CZ 75 slide for a RMR and he said it could not be done since the mounting scews overhand the slide. I ended up buying a P320 RX instead. However, looking at your picture, I would not have wanted to mount an RMR to my CZ like that anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast